2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Civic is on its original Continental Premium Contact2 tyres, except for the NS front one which was replaced with a Conti SportContact 2 last year by the previous owner. I am considering changing to all season tyres to have better grip and therefore better safety in the winter weather, having read the review post of the Michelin Cross Climates in this forum, I am quite attracted to the idea. However, although they are 4 years old my current tyres still look OK with 3-5mm of tread left. Advice I've read on age-based tyre replacements vary between 4 to 6 years, so this gives me a dilemma.

The options I see are:
1. Just change the tyres this year, and enjoy having 4 matched tyres plus whatever handling improvements the CrossClimates bring from this winter, but face the possibility of needing replacements during my planned 4 year ownership period. Of course if I end up keeping the car longer than that it will probably need tyre replacements anyway.

2. Hold out with the current tyres until next year, when at 5 years old there is a clear-cut case for replacing them due to age, and then put all weather tyres on in time for next winter.

What would you do?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it depends on how much money you have and how long you plan to keep the car. I would change soon as 3mm is on the limit ( I know the legal limit in the uk is less but it is 3mm in most sensible countries!). I had a car once that I owned for 6 years and only changed the tyres a year before I sold it, wish I'd changed the tyres sooner as it was the next owner who got the benefit!

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
If you've got 3mm of tread left on any block change them. Also the added safety and handling will easily pay for itself as once winter sets in. They're very good in summer too, gave my dad my old 17 cross climates on his 200bhp IS250 and he says its transformed the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am in almost exactly the same situation as you (but a bit further on!). Mine has the original rear Bridgestones fitted to the front (2011 1.8 ES) and they are coming to the end of their lives (3mm or so left)

I've just got 2 Toyo Snowproxes from Mytyres ebay shop. They're fitted on 16 inch steelies and have gone on the front to replace the Bridgestones. Bridgestones had about 3mm on. The winter tyres are ace. I got 205 ones and they are loads better than the older Bridgestones in this cold damp weather. Not as precise, and not as much outright grip in the dry, but the car is comfier! I've got another 2 coming. Crossclimates will probably be even better (the Toyos don't review very well, and if I'd had more time I'd have researched better, but I needed one as a spare to tow my MG to a track day in Anglesey and ran out of time and needed a wheel and tyre NOW - as you do...)

I've also ordered 2 continental SportContact 5 to replace the Bridgestones when the weather warms up again. I have GT Champiro HPY tyres on the back (thanks PO!) and they are rubbish, but brand new :( They will go on the front (even though they make the car substantially worse to drive) and be worn out as fast as physically possible to get some better ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts