2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read posts from a number of people who have been thinking about changing from 17" wheels to 16" wheels to try to get a better ride - but not from anyone who has actually done it with normal tyres.
If you have done this, did it result in a noticeably better ride? I have 17" wheels and find the ride too "crashy" and hard on many side roads round here.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I did downgrade from 17" to 16" purely for the ride and fuel. I do approx 20k annually, and it made a slight difference to both.
Ride was slightly smoother. However, the downside was whenever I needed to mount a kerb to park, I would end up scraping the front bottom guards. This was maybe due to the downsize, or maybe the shocks.
Fuel economy was better. I seemed to be getting 440-480 miles on the tank with my driving. (07 2.2 deisel).

I now have a (57 2.2 deisel) with 17". I just about get 400-440 miles on a full tank. I did'nt bother downgrading with this one. 17 still look better.

Reactions: michaelxcrew

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Coilovers are your best bet bud to sort out the crashy ride.

I'm loving my new Meisters, nice smooth ride and no horrendous Bang! going over rough roads.

·
Banned
7,705 Posts
16" alloys do not make the ride any better. Maybe slighty but the ride is still very harsh. As above coilovers would be the best option but they are pricey.

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
I have read posts from a number of people who have been thinking about changing from 17" wheels to 16" wheels to try to get a better ride - but not from anyone who has actually done it with normal tyres.
If you have done this, did it result in a noticeably better ride? I have 17" wheels and find the ride too "crashy" and hard on many side roads round here.

You would be better researching tyres more, and going for tyres with a softer sidewall that are move forgiving. Also make sure your pressures are spot on and adjust accordingly.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
In winter I switch from 17 to 16 shod with winter tyres on my Type S- ride is better but not significantly so. Still crashy. Considering coilovers as they seem to best solution to the civics suspension shortcomings

Reactions: michaelxcrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all these replies. They are very helpful - as the difference is at best very slight it would not be worth the expenditure (unless I get some secondhand bargains).

michaelxcrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts