2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a lot of research in to cars before buying mine and it was never mentioned to me about certain issues that are now being labelled as "characteristics" of the car.

How many of you would have bought this car if you had read this in the nice glossy brochure before the launch of the Civic;

"Expect the exterior of your car to scratch easily as our paint is extremely soft and does look alot like orange peel, you may also find that the lights will rub paint away from the bumpers. Please be aware that even wiping dust from the plastic dash could leave some long term damage. At times you may not be able to enjoy the radio as you may encounter static, interference, and it could be prone to cutting out. Please also be aware that after a period of time your light clusters and indicators will be full of condesation"

"We pride ourselves on our reputation for great customer service, however when you get a problem we will try to deny it exists, tell you that "you are the only one" take forever to sort it out and make you feel like you are nothing but a pain in the neck and expect you to accept the problems, after all you chose to buy it"!!

Hmmmm, did I miss a section in the manual?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I would feel mislead if that was in my brochure, I have not had any of those problems.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I'm sick of worrying about mine, I'm just gonna ignore it, even though the rear shocks are knocking again in a morning, my drivers window screaches like a banhsee and the rear light clusters are steamed up, oh, and i keep randomly getting a "twwoooiiinnggg" noise whilst driving, can't decide if that is something the car is picking up or something waiting to fall off.

·
estranged
391 Posts
While I don't seem to have any of the faults you describe, apart from the lacklustre radio, describing them as a characteristic of the car is a dangerous move for Honda. I can understand the 'shower as you open the boot' feature being characteristic, but not anything else you describe.

Is this the official Honda line? If it is then perhaps a more concerted effort is required to bring these characteristics to public attention, maybe via motoring organisations and publications. Watchdog, for example, are always very keen to hear about these sort of things.

However, I suspect that this is just an attempt, by Customer Services, to fob you off. It's not nice, but it's a practice that has worked for numerous organisations and will continue to work until the media spotlight is pointed at them.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I was surprised to read the other day that Honda UK actually outsources its customer call handling to a company called iSKY Europe.

According to the article, they receive in the order of 700 and 1,100 calls per week, generally split 70 per cent cars, 20 per cent bikes and 10 per cent power products. This does fluctuate, however, for example with a new product launch (still, you do the math).

The important bit is that "via a central database, all activity is tracked, analysed and modelled to understand more clearly the varying correlations between marketing activity, customer interest and satisfaction". So, in your case Topcat, depending on exactly how their system works, you shouldn't be made to feel like "you are the only one", especially if many of the issues raised are well-known ones!!

Steve Oliver, head of Customer Division is also quoted as saying:

"Everything at Honda revolves around the customer"

We needed to use the right experience to ensure we talk to our customers correctly”

and "When it comes to the second biggest purchase of your life, 'being satisfied' just isn't enough. Compliment a quality product with quality service and it makes a heady combination".

Certainly, from what I've read about Mr Oliver, he's sincere in his aim to give the customer first-class service. However, for some on this forum it does seem as though warranty claims with the new Civic are just floating around without anyone at Honda taking ownership of the problem. Or there have been disrepancies between what the dealers and Honda UK say is happening (leaving the customer in a state of limbo).

Certainly a warranty is intended to give peace of mind. That's partly why we buy new cars!! But it can only do so when customer support staff are really there to help the customer, as opposed to simply wanting to satisfy volumetric targets set by their masters.

Maybe a personal letter to Mr Oliver, sent by registered post, is one way to make progress when all other routes of communication appear to have failed...

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Yes BG, I remember reading on the other site (that shall remain nameless) that he really does care. Maybe it's a combination of outsourcing and an unexpected volume of enquiries concerning the new Civic that's the real problem. Certainly, it's in no company's interest to fob customers off (as you lose them long-term) but equally sorting out problems in a large organisation can often be like trying to stop a large ship going at full speed. It takes time!!

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not blaming any one person and am trying my best to remain calm as I know they are busy and I am not the only one they are dealing with.

Maybe if I only had one or even two problems from the beginning I wouldn't be so fed up by it all. I have found some people to be far more helpful than others but I first mentioned my "paint problem" to the dealership back in July!! It does make me wonder if they deliberately drag these issues out so that our time of ownership is longer and the mileage higher!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I'm with you on this one Topcat.

I'm new to this forum so will give you a little background information - prior to me owning a gorgeous new Honda my only other cars have been a Citroen BX (which I had for four years, K reg) and a VW Polo (B reg where hardly anything worked), so having a nice new Honda is a big deal for me as it's my first 'new' modern car with air bags and everything!

I got the car with 5,000 miles on the clock (ex demo) at the end of May this year after my BX was written off, and whilst I am happy with my Civvie, I am not that impressed with Honda and my local Honda garage.

So far I am waiting for a rear end paint respray (paint missing around a light fitting), a new speaker, trim for the door handle which doesn't appear to have been fitted at the factory, I have trim coming loose around the passenger door, the condensation problem, and petrol cap problem (had the first 'fix' the other day and having read this forum am expecting it not to last too long!).

None of these are big problems which I'm thankful for, but to be honest with you, as a new car I wouldn't have expected any of these problems, not so early on at least. Maybe I am being a bit naive and that all new cars come with these sort of problems?

My local Honda garage (when I told them about the paint) told me twice in no uncertain terms that I must be mistaken!! It certainly appears to be the first time they've seen this although again I know a couple of others on here are having the same issue.

I have since had my first service six weeks ago where I was told that my new speaker and missing trim would be ordered. I have not heard anything back from Honda since. I went into the garage this week to tell them about my petrol cap so chased them on the speaker and trim to which they have no answer, they don't even know if it's been ordered. The only explanation I received was that there is a back log on warranty parts at the moment but that six weeks did sound long. I left it such that the guy said he was going to kick some ass on Monday and would call me back - it's Wednesday and surprise me, I've not heard back.

Again, I would have expected better service from Honda.

I love my car, I love the way it looks, I love the way it drives (although I don't think the handling is always that great), I hate the fact that it doesn't have a rear windscreen wiper (in my opinion it needs to have one), I love the way the dash is presented, it's very practical, you get used to the blind spots (if anything makes you a better driver), it's good on diesel, it's great on insurance but so far I'm not impressed with the Honda service in general.

I'll get off my box now!!

Emmaloula
(PS - I have a 2.2 i-CDI Sport, Galaxy Grey civvie)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Okay, time to not put up with it and call the dealer...... watch this space.

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
I'm sick of worrying about mine, I'm just gonna ignore it, even though the rear shocks are knocking again in a morning, my drivers window screaches like a banhsee and the rear light clusters are steamed up, oh, and i keep randomly getting a "twwoooiiinnggg" noise whilst driving, can't decide if that is something the car is picking up or something waiting to fall off.
My drivers windows the same, i thought it was just me! Dealer here i come!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi

First posting this and I don't know if you allow subversive members here so I'll say this quietly - I really don't like my Civic, 24,000 miles in and it feels really ratty!
Lots of problems, over 1 month back at the factory etc

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
First posting this and I don't know if you allow subversive members here so I'll say this quietly - I really don't like my Civic, 24,000 miles in and it feels really ratty!
Lots of problems, over 1 month back at the factory etc
Don't say it quietly, chillicat. Scream it. The only subversive thing on this site would be anyone trying to dissuade you from making a big fuss about the appalling standard of quality control at Swindon. Rage, rage against the dying of the Honda standard we all once worshipped!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Paintwork

Iwill agree with a few of those comments. The paint could be better,i seem to pick up a lot of stone chips on the bonnet{nowhere else}.The interior is fragile so you have to be carefull. Ive had no probs with condensation in the lights nor paint rubbing off.
I bought my car from Grantham Honda,ive had the front windscreen replaced because the seal where it meets the roof was not seated properly.Impecable service,the best ive had from any car dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Don't say it quietly, chillicat. Scream it. The only subversive thing on this site would be anyone trying to dissuade you from making a big fuss about the appalling standard of quality control at Swindon. Rage, rage against the dying of the Honda standard we all once worshipped!
I'm starting to think you are a plant from another manufacturer..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Paintwork

Have tried shouting it out loud but have given up trying to deal with Honda UK - local dealer helpful but they gave up and advised me to get Honda to take it back to factory.
problems to date; New gearbox at 7000 miles, new rear dampers, electric window problem, bits of seat coming away from frame, radio reception-RDS doesn't seem to work, ill fitting and warped interior plastics, HFT microphone on wrong side of car which might help explain why it doesn't work very well, poor economy 33mpg, inconsistent engine performance, wind whistle from B pillar and creaks, squeaks and rattles galore.

Went back to factory for 1 month and warped plastic sorted, HFT worked better but still not great and came back very clean BUT Honda seem in a state of denial over the fact that one of their products is not right.

Have had lots of Hondas in past, Accord Coupe, previous model Accord, Current model Accord 2.4, S2000. All been perfect.

1.8EX, 18" storm wheels

1 - 20 of 21 Posts