2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pure have announced a cheap way of adding DAB to you car, it allows choice of all the DAB but then transmits the signal back to your car on FM surely this defeats the point of getting a better sound quality:

Highway - Intro

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
DAB gives a much wider choice of stations, and is far better for listening to stations normally only available in AM (5 live for example)

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
DAB gives a much wider choice of stations, and is far better for listening to stations normally only available in AM (5 live for example)

You must have much more DAB transmitions in the UK then than we do.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
You must have much more DAB transmitions in the UK then than we do.
I believe the current count is 20 radio stations and rising! (mostly BBC)

The main selling point is supposed to be quality

However:

One problem (I believe) is that some of the stations are a little short on bandwidth and therefore compress the music more - hence loss of quality

Another is: because it is digital the audio doesn't degrade if the signal strength is low, it just stops!

I will stick with FM for the moment, I believe that will not be turned off for a few years yet!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks good to me. Pure do make some excellent DAB radios so the quality should be high.
I like the fact that you can also plug your iPod into the unit so that you have the choice of FM, DAB or your own music.
My only concern is the strength of the transmission. I have an FM transmitter for my iPod, but I have to put it in the boot so that it is closer to the ariel in the rear windscreen. There is also the problem of finding a vacant FM frequency, but 87.6 should be below most commercial radio stations so it might just work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I saw the Pure today at the Stuff show, looks good.

It Transmitts an RDS Signal to your FM Radio called Pure Radio, The Pure unit finds a Hole (space) in the FM and uses that frequency for the FM link, if the Pure wants to change frequency it does and as its RDS the radio follows it.

The Pure also has an audio input for MP3/IPOD, it has a small aerial to place near you tax disc.

The only downside is that it is quite large, I don know where I could fit it in my Civic

Only cost £69.00

Re Dave

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bought One!

I had a DAB radio in my previous car for 3 years, really enjoyed it and was permanently tuned into 6 music. Was gutted when I couldn't get a DAB option with my new Civic ES - was even more gutted when I heard the quality of the bundled radio. So, have been looking for an affordable way to get DAB in the car for some time.

Bought one the other day. Have only played around with it a little so far, but seems to do the job. Haven't bothered setting up properly yet, but even when connecting everything up and just dumping it in the glovebox, the quality's been better than many FM radio stations. Have only driven around a small area in Fife (north of Edinburgh), but great to be able to have access to some decent radio stations again. Hope to spend some time this week-end working out how to get the most from it and where to install it. I think there's a good possibility that I'll be able to affix the ariel to the front windscreen and leave the unit in the glovebox, out of sight. I even toyed with the idea of putting it in the boot, closer to the existing ariel.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
For anyone in the U.K. who has been put off buying a DAB radio for the home, due to the postcode finder informing them - "its not available in your area".
Don't take it as gospel.
I live in the middle of nowhere (Inbredinthemoor) and I chanced buying one.
The little fellow can pick up at least 15 stations and the sound quality is brilliant.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
any chance for pictures or where-to-buy info? I've looked in Germany but they seem to be selling only whole units (radio/CD) and these are _very_ expensive

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I love my Radio 5 and travelling around the country at night and getting a good reception can sometimes be quiet frustrating. So as I have a portable Digital Radio, I have used this in the past with my belkin fm transmitter. It works quiet well to be honest, not perfect but so much better than what I was getting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thinking about getting one of these myself as I love my Pure DAB radiio at home.
Does anyone know about the aerial that comes with?
Do you have to mount it outside and remove loads of trim to install it?
Im in no way technical and as it will be going in my lease car Im not sure they would be to happy with me ripping bits off it :rolleyes:

·
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!
1,228 Posts
Bought one the other day. Have only played around with it a little so far, but seems to do the job. Haven't bothered setting up properly yet, but even when connecting everything up and just dumping it in the glovebox, the quality's been better than many FM radio stations. Have only driven around a small area in Fife (north of Edinburgh), but great to be able to have access to some decent radio stations again. Hope to spend some time this week-end working out how to get the most from it and where to install it. I think there's a good possibility that I'll be able to affix the ariel to the front windscreen and leave the unit in the glovebox, out of sight. I even toyed with the idea of putting it in the boot, closer to the existing ariel.
Is the unit small enough to fit into the cubbyhole between the seats?
Also, how long is the wire from the aerial. I was thinking about affixing it towards the back of the rear side window and having the unit in the cubbyhole, do you think it would stretch that far?

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Don't want to discourage you guys but I wanted a DAB too and when I asked my local TV/cable guy he had told me to wait because in the EU they are switching to a different form of encoding so there can be serious problems with "legacy devices" (= most today's models). If you buy, choose a unit with updatable firmware

·
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
If I remember correctly from the short time that I had one, the ariel is about 20-25 cm long, 2 cm wide and has, at its base, a 3cm square box which I assume is an amplifier.

·
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!
1,228 Posts
Great, it will fit in the cubbyhole.

But I couldn't find anything on how long the aerial lead is.
Anybody out there with a Pure Highway and a ruler :D
If I remember correctly from the short time that I had one, the ariel is about 20-25 cm long, 2 cm wide and has, at its base, a 3cm square box which I assume is an amplifier.
Do you remember roughly how long the lead was?
Will it stretch from the cubbyhole to the back of the rear side window?

Did you only have one for a short time because you weren't that impressed, or for another reason

1 - 20 of 29 Posts