2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what my fellow owners thought about the ignition key that comes with the honda. My partner owns a Mercedes CLK and her key has a bit of class to it, even my last car, Citroen C4, the key was a lot more interesting.

Seems a shame that Honda could'nt have spent a few quid more and produced something a bit more snazzy. A folding key fob?

Maybe someone at Honda is looking at this and will do something about it?

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Seems a shame that Honda could'nt have spent a few quid more and produced something a bit more snazzy. A folding key fob?

Maybe someone at Honda is looking at this and will do something about it?

Its doubtful that Honda would do anything about it - they do little about anything else.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
it may be simple, but aleast the spring wont pack up on the flip out key types, honda are have a few problems with springs on fuel caps, so i guess they are glad of one less spring on the civic:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
A friend also told me that the key fob looks old fashioned. (don't think it's cheap).
I told him that with this key I can start a honda, can't be done with his folding key fob.
And he was quiet ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Alfa 159 has a good design (but they prob have more problems than the civic), foldable key with all the remote buttons etc. But to start it you place the actual fob into a hole on the dash (with the key still folded in) and hit the start button.
This also charges it at the same time.

I don't think the honda key is bad, but with all the design features of the car, a little spent on the key would have been a nice touch.

At least its not to thick and cumbersome.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
A friend also told me that the key fob looks old fashioned. (don't think it's cheap).
I told him that with this key I can start a honda, can't be done with his folding key fob.
And he was quiet ;)
[smilie=giggle.gif] Brilliant!

·
Registered
336 Posts
The only modification I would like to the key is to have it fold like my VW key did. I find it uncomfortable in my pocket as it is now and it cause more wear and tear on my trousers!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
It would be even better if is was just a card that slotted into the dash somewhere and thus not damage your knee in a shunt!

"Re-arrange the letters in 'Mother in Law' and it can become 'Woman Hitler'!"

Charles H.

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
I don't find the key uncomfortable to pocket, it's not big or cumbersome. I do agree that it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the retro/futuristic Civic! I'd like something with lasers or lots of flashing lights!

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
No effort at all seems to have gone into the key design; there's something all too generic about it.

Personally I'd have thought more attention would be lavished on the key, as in many cases it probably spends more time with the owner than the car itself. Only yesterday someone picked it up from my desk at work and commented on how bland and basic it looked.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Originally Posted by JB75
Only yesterday someone picked it up from my desk at work and commented on how bland and basic it looked.
A touch of jealousy perhaps? And anyway, even if it is a bit bland, we've got a big red button to play with. Which is more than most!!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I can't believe there is even a conservation about the style of the key!!!:confused:

It's a key. It starts the car. A tried and tested device. It is a whole lot nicer than any Vauxhall or Ford key I have ever seen, but who cares?

It's not the key, it's what it starts that counts!

·
Registered
110 Posts
As long as it works and is reliable I'd be happy (haven't got my Civic yet so have no idea what the key is like).

Of more interest to me is how many keys you get. With my last Type R and my Jazz the key and remote were seperate. Both cars came with two keys and a single remote. From the posts above I assume the key and remote are a single unit so do I assume I'll be getting two keys with integrated remotes?

My wife and I share our cars and having our own keys is extremely convenient.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Yep, agreed. We'll be talking about the design of the boot latch next. Actually, while I'm on the subject, compared to the Golf (where the badge flips up), the one on the Civic is...

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Yep, agreed. We'll be talking about the design of the boot latch next. Actually, while I'm on the subject, compared to the Golf (where the badge flips up), the one on the Civic is...

...don't leave it there, jayt. The one on the Civic is....WHAT! ;) :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts