2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Geordies!!!!:-):-)
1,839 Posts
surely this cant be true??
this should be worth way more than this and for such little damage why would it be going so cheap?:confused:

·
Grumpy Old Git ;)
362 Posts
It mentions CAT D to which I assume means it was a CAT D write off that has been repaired by other than the insurance company.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Back bumper looks like a poor colour match, and tailgate isnt aligned (larger gaps to lower rear) prob osr wing and boot damage.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
To me looks like it's been reasonably repaired, CAT D can be any car whereby it has either been stolen recovered, or it has had damage significant to be more than the cost of the car to repair, but you can often buy back the car for a reasonable amount and repair then sell it on, as a Cat D it isn't worth your fuel driving to see it... IMHO, most insurers won't touch them and I certainly would never get in one, let alone drive it....

Tom

·
Registered
610 Posts
My Time Attack car was a cat D. Was stollen twice and last time crashed with light front end damage. Properly repaired it drives as good as it ever did and is no way unsafe or dangerous. Thing is it will always be a cat D so won't ever be worth same as a similar car that isn't but then again if you on a tight budget an the repairs were done well who else would eer tell.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
You know how it was damaged though would you personally risk a car to use everyday with your family if your not 100% sure of it (i.e. the damage was not well documented and you didn't know who'd repaired it?)???

Tom

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'd certainly be asking a lot of questions and wanting to see proof of work done. Wouldn't be buying one off eBay either as I have seen a few real bad ones.
Have to remember that if repair cost is about 50% of value of car it is written off and reality is it doesn't take much to get one written off with high cost of parts and labour rates so damage may not have been that bad to start with.
Also our car was a 53 plate so reality was book value of £5k therefore small damage got it written off. Buyback was £2k after repair and payout we were quids in and would have been a bargain for someone but we deceided to put it back onto the road but main objective was a trackcar.

Basically don't discount a CatD if your on a budget as it could be a cheap option but reaserch the cars very carefully be aware you will always have a lower value car that is hard to sell on an if there is any doubt walk away.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I'd certainly be asking a lot of questions and wanting to see proof of work done. Wouldn't be buying one off eBay either as I have seen a few real bad ones.
Have to remember that if repair cost is about 50% of value of car it is written off and reality is it doesn't take much to get one written off with high cost of parts and labour rates so damage may not have been that bad to start with.
Also our car was a 53 plate so reality was book value of £5k therefore small damage got it written off. Buyback was £2k after repair and payout we were quids in and would have been a bargain for someone but we deceided to put it back onto the road but main objective was a trackcar.

Basically don't discount a CatD if your on a budget as it could be a cheap option but reaserch the cars very carefully be aware you will always have a lower value car that is hard to sell on an if there is any doubt walk away.
Sensible, but you can see what I'm getting at, it's only gtot to have had some sub standard welds no the frame and it might be a right pig once you get a bit pokey with the engine (I read an article recently about a lot of sub-par welding repair work coming about as more people use back alley repairers to save money).

Tom

·
Registered
610 Posts
Who says it's had structural welding work done though?
Could have been front end or quater that resulted in panel damage radiators ancillary work and a possible respray. Total cost may still be quite high at current rates hence it being written off but doesn't make it unsafe.

Hence why a lot of research needs to be done before one is seriously considered for purchase.

·
Registered
610 Posts
It varys from one insurance company to another.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts