2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I bought this Type S 2009 2.2 diesel a little over a week ago.

The car was probably at the dealership for a while and they couldn't sell it, I think it could easily have stayed there for 2-3 months with no movement.
I drove the car on the same day to home for about 40 minutes and it all was fine.

Next day I found out that the battery died for some reason, although I am sure I didn't leave any lights on (they were set to auto). Anyway, I got helped with push start and immediately got the check engine error. It was Friday and I was supposed to travel 130 miles up North so I spent the next 3 hours driving which supposedly charged the battery, but the check engine light remained. I had no time to service it over that weekend, but on my way back two days later the light suddenly stopped showing and it was absolutely fine for the next 5 days or so.

Then last Saturday I was about to have another long commute and the error showed again. I traveled around 300 miles in one day and the light stayed on, although there were no problems with the car, but then it disappeared. Just today, shortly after starting the car, the light came up again... I drove the car a bit more and there are no issues with the car itself besides the check engine lights. It doesn't pop up immediately, though, but after about 5 seconds or so, and every first time that it happened, it didn't appear until at least 3 minutes into driving.

Could it be an issue with the battery or anything else? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
If the battery has been allowed to go completely flat then that would be my guess that it's battery related.

I'd be checking how fast the voltage is dropping after an overnight stand. Voltages drop considerably faster in a battery that has lost both stages of charge.

Bear in mind that even if you manage to recharge or jump start your battery, its life may have been significantly shortened after a discharge - you may want to replace it at some point for a new one

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Do you have an odb reader to see what error code it is showing?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
Do you have an odb reader to see what error code it is showing?
If you don't have one it's a good investment. Be wary though, don't just buy any as it will not work on the 2.2. Make sure from the seller that it will work with your car.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the battery has been allowed to go completely flat then that would be my guess that it's battery related.

I'd be checking how fast the voltage is dropping after an overnight stand. Voltages drop considerably faster in a battery that has lost both stages of charge.
Ok, thank you. I will probably try and get the battery replaced asap.

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
I agree, got to try a long trickle charge first, preferably with something like a CTEK that does a full recondition.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, got to try a long trickle charge first, preferably with something like a CTEK that does a full recondition.
Thanks, I will probably take it to a garage since I don't have any tools really. It drives fine but the message is really annoying.

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
You just need something to check the overnight voltage drop.

After I CTEK mine, because it sits in the garage most weeks, it takes about a week to drop below 12v, when I CTEK it again.

I charged mine exactly a week ago, last Tuesday and it's still got 12v even though it hasn't moved:

Screenshot_20180807-053526_My Honda.jpg

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You just need something to check the overnight voltage drop.

After I CTEK mine, because it sits in the garage most weeks, it takes about a week to drop below 12v, when I CTEK it again.

I charged mine exactly a week ago, last Tuesday and it's still got 12v even though it hasn't moved:

View attachment 288272
Sorry for noob questions, but do I need to remove the battery to check the voltage drop? Also, which CTEK product I should use?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Reconditions-Motorcycle/dp/B00FC42HAA

This would be suitable for both checking the battery health and also charging it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts