2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought a 2006 honda civic 1.8L 140hp and today I drove around 200 km on the highway and the check engine light came on. I read that it is related to an emissions problem. I will try disconnecting the battery tomorrow to see if that will remove the error. When I bought the car in February I took it to a car service and they said that there was an old catalyst error on the computer and wiped it clean. Is this something serious? If the error disappears after the battery disconnect, should I still be worried or take it to a mechanic right away? I don't know much about cars, so if someone could please explain this to me it would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Get an obd2 reader for a tenner of ebay and torque app. Could be o2 sensor failing. Could be anything until you can get a code reader to confirm

·
Super Moderator
2,219 Posts
only way to tell is read the fault codes it could be a simple piece of dirt triggering something or a potential bigger problem starting
even if you dont do your own work this day and age id recomend all car owners to invest in a code reader even if its a cheap 1
heres 1 for under a tenner from uk seller
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine-Fault-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-Scanner-Reset-Tool-OBD-2-CAN-BUS-EOBD/282701249770?epid=15007555784&hash=item41d24ebcea:g:EAQAAOSw-09Z6W6n
when you read codes write them down before clearing them and when light pops up again read them and compare to see which 1 is the same
a old catalysit code is proberbly a o2 sensor which if you buy cheap of ebay is not very expensive on the other hand if its the cat itself then it could be pricy for a honda

·
4,245 Posts
Wouldn't it be useful if members put their car and location in their profile so that other members didn't have to ask these questions.[smilie=dunceblock.:
Or even if members looked at other members' profiles to gain a rough idea.:facepalm7:
>:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts