2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my check light is on and the glow plug symbol is flashing I think it is because of a fault with my rad fan switch ( fans on all the time ). I've ordered a new switch which I will fit on Saturday but need some advice, is it best to use Honda premix antifreeze or will any premix do and how do I clear the fault if it's still there? I keep seeing people mention the 30 sec on off method but can't seem to find how exactly to do it. Any advice welcome 馃榿

Bye bye Honda...
The best way to clear warning light would be to buy an OBD2 code reader (see ELM327 or U480 code readers on eBay), which will also read the code and confirm what the fault is... why do you think the flashing glowplug light means that the rad fan switch needs replacing? I can't think of a connection.

Disconnecting the battery negative terminal for at least 20 minutes will extinguish the ECU check light if the actual fault has gone away, but the fault code will still be stored.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Car starts and runs fine, I unplugged the fan switch the other week when it started playing up to check for water, dirt, or it being lose and I got the same lights on dash, but they went off after a while I've came to the conclusion it's finely died. Looking at getting a fault code reader but wondered if I could clear it without one until I have some more money. Other posts on here seem to point at the glow plug symbol flashing as part of the warning to show you have a problem with the cars monitoring systems not necessarily the glow plugs, unless I'm mistaken.

Bye bye Honda...
Car starts and runs fine, I unplugged the fan switch the other week when it started playing up to check for water, dirt, or it being lose and I got the same lights on dash, but they went off after a while I've came to the conclusion it's finely died. Looking at getting a fault code reader but wondered if I could clear it without one until I have some more money. Other posts on here seem to point at the glow plug symbol flashing as part of the warning to show you have a problem with the cars monitoring systems not necessarily the glow plugs, unless I'm mistaken.
Hopefully you're right, and please do let us know if the fan switch does cause this symptom! Definitely worth getting your own OBD2 reader.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, just a quick update had fan switch changed and all problems gone, fans no longer come on with ignition and all faults in dash are now gone. They went as soon as new switch was replaced. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts