2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shock: Driving along the M25 this afternoon when up pops "check oil level", well if I didnt nearly crash the car in panic. I pulled over and checked it, yes the engine was very hot and I know you shouldnt check it this way. But I thought if I dont see any oil on the dip stick then I am up pooh creek with no paddle and a hole in the boat. I think I was lucky because I saw oil...but it was way down the mark. I got going thinking that I would stop at the nearest services...then remembered I was on the M25....no fecking services for miles and miles... [smilie=smack.gif]. And to top it off it the heavens decided to open up with a downpour that should sort out the hosepipe ban in the south for years to come.

Anyway to cut a long story short I stopped off at a services on the M1 and topped the oil up.

So where do I go from here? I will check the oil in the morning. Is there anything else I should be wary of?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
oil

Same thing happened to me at 130kms an hour during a long drive home in france thought the end has come
I carry some oil with me after all the honda warnings the car only seems to use oil on long hard drives otherwise only minor use done about 6000 miles now
Dearlers comment they are meant to use oil never had a modern car that has before

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

I wouldn't think you have anything to worry about, certainly check it and make sure it is topped up to the maximum fill level again. You will find that many newer cars will use the oil and only some are lucky to make it between services without needing the oil topped up.

You will also find that many newer cars with warnings to check the oil level , will tell you to check the level for you to find that it is either at or below the minimum level.

If not already doing it, you should consider checking the oil level every time you fill up with fuel and it will give you an idea of how much oil it is using. (I would also check tyre pressures at this time)

You may also find that the oil use reduces as the engine is run in more.

Cheers
Brian

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
Thanks Kevin! Forewarned is forearmed and all that, but running an Alfa for over 5 years has been good training .... :lol:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Exactly the same happened to me on the M1 a few weeks ago in the real hot weather and I feared the end was nigh. However, when I looked on the dipstick it was not even at the lower limit. I stuck a litre of oil in and it has been fine since. It might be that it is a little sensitive, but that can only be a good thing.

I often check the oil when filling up so that I don't look quite such a chump when I pull the bonnet release instead of the fuel filler release :oops:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Then how did you feel when after all that messing about you had filled it with Unleaded.

Filled my oil for the first time yesterday, should have checked it sooner, it was just at the bottom mark, one litre, all fixed. Not too bad for 6000 miles, not compared to a VW. Although the Laguna could get between services without needing any oil, it couldn't get between services without other things going wrong etc. but at least the oil was okay.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I'm getting worried about mine - 7000 miles and it's still just above the "high" mark!

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Thats amazing, do you hang your car from the garage ceiling?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know "smokers" use more oil, but I would not have expected to have to top up just yet. Then again when I think about it I have done 7000 miles and I have done alot of motoway driving, so I suppose its not that bad....or is it?

·
Registered
382 Posts
richierich said:
Then how did you feel when after all that messing about you had filled it with Unleaded
A complete prat!! Took me several weeks to show my face at that petrol station again :oops:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think this quite usual , my last two passats both needed topping up with oil before the 1st service ,once run in the oil consumption dropped.
Jimbo

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Oil me up

Less than 7500 and the oil warning level light flashed on this morning. I have had this on my SEAT Diesel but only because they didnt fill to the max after a service. Usually I can get to the next service or may need a top up just before.

I was intrigued how insistant the Dealer was on checking the oil level regularly when I took delivery - is this an 'issue' with this motor :?: :?: :?: :?:

What is the oil that is in the engine as delivered - Castrol I assume?

(Run in correctly - now driven hard)

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Liquid Gold ???

Local Honda dealer didn't have the oil in stock ( :!: :!: :!: :!: )

One trip to Halfords and £13.99 lighter - shame I missed the buy one get one free on oil over the bank holiday. (its was also dearer than Honda quoted - for 1 litre)

·
Registered
180 Posts
My dealer told me about 200 times to check the oil when I fill the car up. 3500 miles now and its not gone down yet but have a bottle in the boot ready for when I need it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
4500 miles on the clock no need for a top up at so far.
I purchased a ltr of Edge for my trip to France just in case however.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I've used 0.5 litres in 4000 miles of mixed driving. Funny thing is it's quick to go down to around the three quarter level, then doesn't seem to go any further

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I'm getting worried about mine - 7000 miles and it's still just above the "high" mark!
We were cruising "well over" on the Oxford trip, and I was sure it would use some oil.
But no, checked it this morning, not budged. :cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oil

So Chaps what oil do you all reccomend just so I get the right one first time
had the civic 5 weeks now and still loving it.Pure joy to drive :):-D:p
len

1 - 20 of 24 Posts