2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!

For the past 2-3 weeks I felt I had a problem with my Type R. After stopping and idling for a short period of time (say at traffic lights), when taking off in 1st gear the engine response seemed really strangled and you sometimes need to be careful not to stall, to me it felt like the car had flooded itself or something. I have also noticed that the car is very smelly like its running rich or not burning the fuel properly.
Well, today on my way home from work, the car suddenly sounds the attention tone and the "Check System (Engine)" appears on the multi-info display.
I pulled over and looked up the fault in the manual. It said to turn the car off, then back on again to see if the fault icon still appeared, it did!

The manual says the following for this fault icon:

"This indicator comes on for a few seconds when you turn the engine switch to the on position. If the indicator comes on while driving, it means one of the engine's emission control systems may have a problem. Even though you may feel no difference in your vehicles performance, it can reduce your vehicles fuel economy and cause increased emissions. Continued operation may cause serious damage. You will also see the symbol with a "CHECK SYSTEM" message on the multifunction display. If this indicator comes on, safely pull off the road and turn off the engine. Restart the engine and watch the indicator. If it stays on, have your vehicle checked by the dealer as soon as possible. Drive moderately until the dealer has inspected the problem. Avoid full-throttle acceleration and driving at high speed".

In some way, it is great that this fault indicator has come on, as I felt the car was not running right.
However, this is really really really BAD timing for this fault to show up, as I have my brothers Wedding this weekend and need the car to drive the 3 hour return trip to the wedding venue!!!!

Has anyone else encountered this fault? What was the resolution? I already had the car booked in for the 40,000km service this next Tuesday, but the wedding is this Saturday? Would it be bad to drive the car until Tuesday with this fault indicator showing?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...
Took the car into Honda a couple of weeks ago to get them to investigate the Check System Error. On the drive to Honda the Low Engine Oil light came on, so has this warning alternating with the Check System error. Honda checked car, cleared errors and reported back saying no problems.
Car was due for the 40,000km service, so this was completed last week. 1st major service for the type r, includes valve alignment check and tune. In between Honda checking and clearing the errors encountered 2 weeks ago and the service the Check System light has come back on. Honda again checked and cleared this in the 40K service and reported no problems.
Guess what, 3 days after picking the car up from its major service, the Check System (Engine) error has re-appeared on the display!!!
This is now getting ridiculous, I am going the have to take the car back again, this will be 3 times in 2 weeks!!!!

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Sounds like it could be oxygen sensor problem to me, When the fault codes are cleared and the engine started from cold the light will not come on for a while as the ecu ignores the oxygen sensor until the engines properly warmed up. usually it can be down to the heated circuit to fail within the oxygen sensor or just normal degrading within the sensor itself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it could be oxygen sensor problem to me, When the fault codes are cleared and the engine started from cold the light will not come on for a while as the ecu ignores the oxygen sensor until the engines properly warmed up. usually it can be down to the heated circuit to fail within the oxygen sensor or just normal degrading within the sensor itself.
Thanks mate, I might mention this to Honda.
I've gotta take it back in next week anyway as last time they looked at it somehow they took paint off the rear bumper on their hoist. So going in for a respray! What a ******* nightmare. I really hope they can solve this check system issue coz its driving me insane!!!

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Usually when the check engine light comes on the ecu will store that trouble code so it's impossible for the honda dealers to say they can't find it. Theres something your dealer ain't telling you or want to tell you, is your civic still under warranty?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Usually when the check engine light comes on the ecu will store that trouble code so it's impossible for the honda dealers to say they can't find it. Theres something your dealer ain't telling you or want to tell you, is your civic still under warranty?
Factory 3 year warranty just ran out last month, however I have an extended warranty from the dealer that I bought the car from. Looking through this extended warranty it seems to cover quite a few parts if deemed faulty. Problem now just seems to diagnosing what the heck is going on!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more thing.
I'm not sure if this has always been this way and I just haven't noticed it before, but...
With the multifunction display set 'current L/100km' screen, (the one with the scale from 5 through to 20), is this meant to rapidly adjust while driving? I would have expected that it might occasionally adjust to give the current fuel usage, but mine flys up and down immediately in response to the amount of throttle! Is this normal guys??

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
If you mean the bar scale then yes this is normal as it's measuring your actual consumption whilst driving. When driving steady on a flat road does it stay roughly in one position on the scale?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you mean the bar scale then yes this is normal as it's measuring your actual consumption whilst driving. When driving steady on a flat road does it stay roughly in one position on the scale?
Yeah, it does. However even the most mild acceleration sends it straight up to 20, and when not driving completely steady its all over the place, so it seems a little pointless to me.
Just thought I'd check if this was normal as I'm looking for any answers that might help me diagnose the cause of this check system error I have! so annoying

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, it does. However even the most mild acceleration sends it straight up to 20, and when not driving completely steady its all over the place, so it seems a little pointless to me.
Just thought I'd check if this was normal as I'm looking for any answers that might help me diagnose the cause of this check system error I have! so annoying
so did you find the cause of this??
I have the same problem....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts