2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the check system message came up and the glowplug indicator is flashing.
Tried restarting etc. No improvement - looks like another unscheduled dealer visit

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took car to the ever helpful dealer today. 'Fault log' was read - and there was found to be a single instance of the engine oil level sensor reporting an 'out of range' reading. This is apparently 'latched' as a warning - and can only be cleared down by the dealer.

All in all - appointment booked same day, service as soon as I arrived (on time) - all sorted in 30 minutes including brief road test.

Good marks to Amethyst (Cheltenham) for the service

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Glad it was sorted!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its back again! Same as before - Check System, and flashing glowplug indicator.

This is getting annoying as its at least 1 1/2 hours of my time plus best part of 3/4 gallon of fuel each time.

I will get this looked at and 'reset', but I think a longer visit will be needed as there is now a list;

Steering check - not had a letter yet - but dealer says I should have.
Shock absorbers - getting noisy AGAIN
Wash wipe - doesn't always wipe
Fuel filler - doesn't always open AGAIN
HFT/voice activation - still v poor noise
Radio - so insensitive now that can't even pick up radio 2, 3, or 4 on M42 round B'ham
Tailgate struts getting lazy

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I am concerned that it will become common knowledge in the car industry and amongst the public in general that it is best to avoid a used Honda Civic 55/06 because of the amount of problems that they are known to have/develop.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took car to dealer today to have fault cleared.

As last time - fault was caused by an unacceptable reading from the oil level sensor. The dealer told me I had let the oil level get rather low (1/3 way up range between the two dots when hot) and that this might be below minimum when cold (actually its not - I've checked when cold too) but they insist it might. Anyway - they added 1 litre of oil, for which I was charged £13 + vat and the level is now pretty much on the high mark with a warm engine
If the oil level was really low - why doesn't it just warn me of low oil level, and cancel when the oil is refilled instead of having to be reset by dealer? No answer was forthcoming.

If I have to visit a dealer every time the oil level drops to 30%, this is going to become a real pain!

I got a distinct impression that the dealer was seeing more Civics returned for warranty problems than they were comfortable with.

I also mentioned that my shock absorbers were getting noisy again, fuel filler not opening, and these too seemed to come as no surprise.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
3rd Honda, I think you need to keep your oil level near maximum so that when it happens again, you can rule out the oil level issue. To me, an out of range reading is not the same as a low level reading, it doesn't quite add up somehow. As you say, if the oil level falls, it warns you, you top up, end of story, no more warning.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
I have noticed that mine uses a lot more fuel when the oil isn't at the maximum. As for the senor problem if oil is there then it's more likely to be an issue with the sensor itself, especially if it repeats.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think (and hope) now it will stay where it is. When I got my car, the oil level was near maximum, and dropped to about 30% maximum over the first 3000 miles.

Since then it has remained fairly constant at 30% maximum, and I suspect that the early consumption has now disappeared as everything has bedded in.

The sensor being faulty has crossed my mind as the most likely explanation, but why does a low reading result get 'latched' so that it has to be cleared by the dealer? Thats the crazy part, and I do wonder if there is something I'm not being told?

If it happens again I will add it to the list of 'additional' things for the first service;

Fuel filler
Shock absorbers (2nd time)
Wash wipe
Radio
Hands free/voice activation

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As of today - Check System back on. Oil level near maximum. Booked into dealer AGAIN on Wednesday. This will the the third time this has happened in 6 months.

Fed up.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Had this problem last week, i took it in to honda with the heater plug lights illuminated on the dash, the dealer told me it needed a litre of oil and charged me £11...I told him id only filled her with oil the previous week..he shrugged his shoulders and told me it was low oil.:(

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats what they told me last time ......... and it was about 2/3 of the way down between the two marks on the dipstick. This time (after a fill last time) its near the top - so I'm not wearing that excuse. This is the third time I've had this in 6 months.
  1. Its not acceptable that if the oil gets only slightly low you have to go to the dealer to get the warning reset.
  2. On two of the three occasions there was plenty of oil - and adequate on the other occasion (all were at least) 25% above minimum mark)
  3. If it was a defect the user can put right (such as low oil) then its quite unacceptable that you have to visit a dealer to have the associated warning cleared.
We will see how I get on at my (always so far helpful) dealers on Wednesday.

My previous (USA built and now rather missed) Civic visited the dealers 5 times in 3 years - When I bought it, 3 services, and when I sold it. Nothing ever done other than routine service and one recall to do with lights switch.

This one has been back more often in 7 months than previous one did in 3 years. I don't think I will ever buy a British made one again unless things take a dramatic change for the better. Its just getting too tedious and time consuming

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm awaiting del of an EX 2.2cdti galxy in the next 7 days - worrying reading so many probs with the car. As there r lots of us on this forum why not start all writing to Honda when there are genuine issues to resolve. Don't take "go to the dealer" for an answer, Honda needs to get this sort of thing resolved - its bad press and bad PR in relation to customers who after all have stumped up good money for the car.
John07

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John,

I have to admit that I have not contacted Honda direct, but others on this site have, are are usually unhappy with the treatment (mainly being ignored by Honda UK). Legally - our contract as a buyer, is with the dealer, and so far - my dealer has been helpful.

From what I have gathered, Honda can sell all Civics they produce and can manage to keep a waiting list, and at or near list price. Modern 'target focussed' management will view this meeting targets as a success.

Customer satisfaction is harder to measure, and there is no doubt that many are satisfied. A few are not.

I would now think carefully about buying another Honda - especially another UK built one.
  1. Quality is at best - variable
  2. Factory attention to customer satisfaction is absent
  3. Dealers seem variable
  4. Quality management is lousy - cars built knowingly with faulty shock absorbers etc
  5. Attitude to known problems (radio, air conditioning, dashboard rattles) - a disgrace to the industry
When I bought my first Honda the build quality and attention to detail were streets ahead of most other makers. The reputation was justifiably great.

Now - ?? - read the posts on here!

Its about time Honda Japan took a long hard look at Honda UK's senior management's commitment to preserving a hard won and well deserved worldwide reputation - and took the appropriate steps to limit the damage.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Visited dealer today. Confirmed same error message (out of range reading from oil level sensor) caused message. They talked to Honda Technical - who confirm that this is now a known issue - and a fix in the software(?) is being developed. Dealer will inform me and apply fix as soon as its ready. Usual prompt service at dealers, so at least there looks to be a longer term fix in the pipeline.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I was in Spain recently and while I was taking a long right-curving ramp onto a dual carriageway at high speed the low oil warning came on accompanied by a 'bong' sound. I pulled onto the hard shoulder and checked the oil level and found it was about a third way up between the 2 marks. I added half a litre to the engine which brought it up almost to the top mark and continued my journey. The low oil warning cancelled itself, as you'd expect it to do. I can't believe it's normal for a dealer to have to reset it.:???:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts