2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I own a 55 (2006) civic ex petrol for most of the cars life, 9/10 with the start of the engine, for a brief second a 'check system (!) ' warning appears in the centre screen along with the abs, vsa small lights flash up aswell. The car has been to Honda (Avondale Northampton) countless times and they say they cannot find a problem or any logs of the problem in the diagnostics. In the handbook the warning symbol (!) relates to the brake system. Its driving me round the bend as I would like to sell the car but it will be dififcult with this flashing up everytime. Any ideas?

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,183 Posts
If the problem was present before the warranty run out then they still have to fix it for free, as you made them aware of the problem.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
My 1.8 used to do that occasionally, but it would only flash up briefly at start up so it never worried me. I'd be alarmed if it came on while driving.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Only had this once on my 2.2, after the dyno haha
I jumped back in and must be honest, i thought it was broken!
Went away after a about 20 meters of driving (slowly haha)

This probably doesn't help you :( but maybe?

I wouldn't worry unless you get it when driving (as said before) :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not the battery ive tried that many times to no change, it doesnt come on while driving only a brief second as the engine kicks into life. Honda will not fix it as they say they cannot find a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got the same problem with my 2.2 55 plate. It only happens now and again it’s been to Honda and they say they can't find anything wrong with it and said just wait for something to go wrong then bring it back!

So much for Honda happiness!

·
Premium Member
18,826 Posts
A similar problem with a friend and it was the battery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got the same problem with my 2.2 55 plate. It only happens now and again it’s been to Honda and they say they can't find anything wrong with it and said just wait for something to go wrong then bring it back!

So much for Honda happiness!
thats basically what I was told, i have just come back from honda again after its 4th service, its been hooked up to the diagnostics to find a warning log of 'over revving' they cleared it to see if that cleared the problem. I got back into the car started it up 'BING!' the warning blinked back up!?

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
No dont... if its a 2.2 you have leave it a few seconds... ruin youre engine if you continuously fire it up too quick, COILS :)

Edit; just noticed you're in 1.8, still would'nt advise it but it wont kill it haha

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Scotty,
I don't know about diesels, but for petrol engines I can see no reason not to start it up immediately, as you would in any car without a seperate start button. The thing is, this definately avoids the problem for me.

After looking at this problem on my car, I am of the opinion that the electronics in the Civic are too sensitive to battery voltage/spikes and by delaying startup, the spikes are somehow interpreted by the electronics as a problem.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
As i edited, with the diesels you NEED to give them a few seconds for the plugs.

With the petrols it makes no difference starting up straight away :)
So in a petrol, if this avoids the issue, start 'er up quicker haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im having the same issue with my 2006 1.8 Ex, (!) pops on screen when starting up. Most likely something to do with vsa check as pcr already mentioned. Ive only started seeing it recently as im nowadays deliberately waiting a tad longer before hitting the ignite button(otherwise it refuses to start up every now and then.. which is a whole new issue in itself).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this thread hasn't been posted on for several years, but I have the same problem with my Civic and I was wondering if anyone managed to find the problem that caused the (!) Check system to come on briefly during start up.

·
Premium Member
18,826 Posts
Chris, same symptom with some members from Greece, all times was a battery issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey ho,

Not having the issue anymore these days so could have been battery related indeed (as ive replaced mine at some point). Try to wait a few seconds with pressing start after you have turned ignition on, see if it changes anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts