2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 2016 Civic Executive 1.8 and while driving home on Friday it started doing strange things. First came check system light, then check tyre pressure, a few seconds later it was check battery light. It all disappeared and then my mirror starts to turn itself down all the way but keeps on pushing down, eventually bouncing at the limit of its range. After driving for 25 mins as I arrive home I lost power steering. Took the car to dealers and they say battery has 1 dead cell. I replace the battery and now... it’s not all the lights, just the check system and check tyre pressure and check battery lights BUT the kicker is that when the car is running it doesn’t charge, but when we put headlights on it charges! Now I’m in a bit of a spot. No one knows what can be the cause. PLEASE HELP. I’m in a small town with Ford mechanics working at the Honda dealers and Honda’s diagnostics tool does NOT work!!!!!

Only changes recently-
I have recently put new tyres in front Pilot Sport 3’s (the rear is pilot Sport 5’s)
Topped up oil
Had a foglamp lens smash on freeway( light still works)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. Checked all the common faults on different forums which include;
Fuses in car and engine compartment (checked)​
Loose wires/damages light wires under car from wear/rodents (checked)​
Test smashed foglamp (checked) light still works, being replaced by insurance next week)​
Alternator tested ( not charging battery, supposedly dictated by ECU when to charge)​
Faulty injectors (not tested)​
Faulty spark plugs (not tested)​
Findings:
Headlamps fused​
Prognosis from Bosch auto electrician:
Probably faultyECU​
Probably faulty alternator​
Next steps refurb alternator!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Final update: Had alternator replaced at the dealership and the Honda is reliable again! If you’re in South Africa and near Sandton Honda. Ask for Johan Fleischmann. He is a rockstar and the most knowledgeable technician I have ever met.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts