2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Check your alarm, does it work ?

701 - 714 of 714 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Mine's on its 3rd Siren.

Not reading the other 500 pages of the thread, I'm probably repeating part.
I believe there's a rechargeable battery inside the unit, which becomes fatigued / exhausted, and should be replaced. Problem is its a sealed unit, so you need the complete, £500 unit (+/-).

When I went into Honda during March, when it started kicking off again, they decided to 'run a diagnostic', to see if there was another fault somewhere ... I'd already realised what it probably was, having been down this wobbly yellow brick road before ....
Eventually it was confirmed it was the Siren - after 3 visits.

I was told to contact Honda UK customer services to see if they would be willing to assist with 'We're only a dealership' ... 'Honda make the decision on any financial assistance'.
One, no longer there, asked if I'd like him to call - of course I said 'YES'!
After some holding, he got through, spoke to various personnel, was asked how / where I had it serviced - always at THEIR dealership - and the very low mileage ... then they gave a code - I would pay labour only.

They said they had no Sirens in stock - no surprise. They would call me.
2 weeks later and still nothing.
Another 2 weeks and nothing.
Another month, and get this .... 'What agreement is that Sir? We have no record of this' ....
WHAT? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was some new 'lady' on Reception - smily but never that helpful ...
I decided to attack simultaneously and complained directly to Honda by e-mail who ..... replied and confirmed that of course there's an agreement, use this code .....

I called them back at Honda - Warrington - and the same helpful 'lady' replied 'we are aware of that. Would you like us to order the Siren? You pay labour.'
"I'm aware of that and YES, OF COURSE".

I booked in the car.
One thing they had done during the diagnosis period was to disconnect the front reading lamps, leaving the rear courtesy lamp.
This had never been reconnected when the Siren was installed.

It's been perfect ever since.
No front map lights.

It's been a pain making notes in the darker nights, so I thought I'd pull the upper front console apart, in case its an easy fix....
2 connectors still disconnected - never reconnected!!

Used to be an excellent dealership, but this last year's experience has been very 'average' ... hopefully service will be restored.
I've only ever needed it for annual servicing and Siren replacement ....

That's my alarm story!! 100% reliable apart from the alarm.

Al.

·
I'm no hater, I'm a lover
116 Posts
Just spoke to Honda Phoenix in Stirling about my faulty alarm - they want £90+VAT to diagnose the fault, if the siren is to be replaced it £787.50+VAT.

If it is just a replacement battery within a sealed unit... are they taking the em... mickey?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Took my car in on Saturday to get my clutch oil replaced, asked them to check out the alarm at the same time as the car flashes when I trigger it off but no siren.

Cost £50 to replace clutch fluid and £25 to run an alarm diagnostic.

They said it'll cost £766 + VAT to fix the alarm as the "sealed siren" is faulty, can I just find one on eBay myself for £30 and just swap it straight over?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Took my car in on Saturday to get my clutch oil replaced, asked them to check out the alarm at the same time as the car flashes when I trigger it off but no siren.

Cost £50 to replace clutch fluid and £25 to run an alarm diagnostic.

They said it'll cost £766 + VAT to fix the alarm as the "sealed siren" is faulty, can I just find one on eBay myself for £30 and just swap it straight over?

Thanks
The problem is in the batteries inside - check through the other parts of this LONG thread.
They discharge, cannot be recharged, and the Siren unit is sealed and cannot be opened.

Do you have a Full Honda Service History?
I did, pushed this, Honda said YES, WE WILL SUPPLY THE SIREN but you pay the labour - this was ~£100 'only'.

They know the part is inconsistent - discharges over time, I'm guessing, once the main battery falls below a certain voltage, to maintain the security aspect, and the alarm armed.

Al.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I've read all of this thread now, trying to get to the bottom of the issues with my car (2007 1.8 ES)

I think the following is an accurate summary of the thread so far:

Different Alarms for Different Cars and Markets

• Some cars have no alarm.
  • Some cars have alarms that detect vibrations and doors being opened. These do not have ultrasonic sensors around the interior light, and use the horn to make the alarm sound.
  • Some cars have 'Category 1' alarms. These have a separate siren in the boot, which has it's own battery. These alarms also have ultrasonic motion detectors either side of the map lights in the front of the car.
  • I think the 'Cat 1' cars are the UK spec ES, EX and Type R (could be wrong on that, although my ES definitely has the ultrasonic sensors)
Common Issues

• Interior motion sensors not working (on cars which have them)
  • Alarm not sounding but indicators flashing to show that the alarm has been triggered (I *think* this is limited to the 'Cat 1' cars?)
  • The battery in the separate siren is never charged, and the unit is sealed.
Proposed Fixes
Various fixes are proposed, many of which seem to work for some and not others, or only work for a short time.

• Disconnect battery for five minutes - this sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
  • Replace boot siren - Honda say the unit is sealed so once the batteries are flat, you need a new one at £700+
  • Replacement of MICU/fuse box - this was done on a recall basis I believe?
Please feel free to add or correct the above.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
And following that - my alarm doesn't work! Or rather, it does, but the siren bit doesn't. However, it has twice now been set off by not much, and a few other times we've noticed it going off as soon as we have left the car. On the two occasions we haven't noticed, it has carried on going off until the car battery is flat and we've been unable to start the car.

I have tested the ultrasonic sensors and they don't seem to work, although I've since read in the thread that they need up to 2 minutes to calibrate. I've not waited that long, so they may work - I need to find 2 minutes to sit still in the car to test.

I've put my VIN into the Honda recall checker tool and nothing comes up. I presume this means that all the recalls have been done to my car (or there weren't any) rather than 'well, no-one brought it to us and it's too late now' - but I'd like to check if I have a new MICU as I think my car would have been one that needed a replacement. Does anyone know the relevant part numbers or how to tell the old and replacement parts from one another?

I suspect my issue is a faulty switch or loose connection somewhere - which sounds fun to find. All the lights go off when you close the doors though, and I presume the alarm doesn't have different switches on the doors? But it could be one of the switches? Does anyone know if info about faulty connections in the alarm would show on a diagnostic?

Finally - the siren. Clearly mine has flat batteries. Hopefully at some point I will get chance to get it out and try and get inside it to replace them, and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alarm on honda 1.4si

Just tested Alarm on my Honda when I locked car with fob and used key to open door it disabled alarm so what I did is to open door push lock in on side of door ( so door was locked but open ) locked car with fob and held light switch in on door pillar worked a treat alarm was working hope this helps any one who had same problem as I did [smilie=superkewl.g:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having read a chunk of this thread yesterday, tried the alarm in my 56 1.8 EX last night.
Sat in car and set alarm. Waited for it to set fully then waved hand in front of ultrasonic sensors, nothing. Opened door, bonnet and fuel cap, indicators flashing but not a peep out of horn or siren.
So given it is a 11 1/2 year old car without a full Honda service history I doubt they would be interested in sorting it out for free.
Has anyone fitted an aftermarket alarm system or would one be able to be fitted?
Cheers guys.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I haven't read all the messages in this thread, but I am suspicious this is connected to the alarm battery discharge issue which can in turn also make the car battery go flat, as a few have mentioned.

I seem to remember someone has tried replacing the stack of rechargeable batteries on the alarm panel located in the boot, and had supplied some pictures of what they were trying. I can't seem to find the thread though. Can anyone else?

That may be a very cheap fix to the problem.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
An update of my experience with the car I was talking about in this thread (since written off by another driver, replaced with another Mk8)

My alarm unit had water damage, and the sensors inside were not working. I can't remember now if it was linked. The dealer I bought it off was eventually great about getting it sorted, although he tried lots of things which was annoying as I had to keep taking it back.

He tried a few secondhand alarm controllers but none worked - although he had trouble finding one with the same part code so I think was just trying any Honda unit in the end. I think he put the one out of his own CR-V in at one point.

Anyway - in the end he fitted an aftermarket alarm that was wired and coded in such as way as it was totally seamless - it armed and disarmed with the original key. The only difference was to lock the car without arming the sensors you had to press a switch hidden on the steering column.

701 - 714 of 714 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.