2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound very stupid but how do you properly check the oil, I've never seen a dip stick with so many kinks in.

I know about the checking when warmed for 5-10 mins etc (I'm not thick lol), just wondered if there was a knack to it?

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
There's 2 small holes at the bottom of the stick, the oil should cover both of these (min level and max level holes). I added a little bit more, towards the twist to be safe.

·
Hon-da-da-da-da!
181 Posts
Pull the dipstick out of a cold engine while on a level surface, and wipe, push back in for 5 seconds and pull out again and check, should be near the top notch on the dipstick, if its lower then a small top up, and keep checking. Thats what i do.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Pull the dipstick out of a cold engine while on a level surface, and wipe, push back in for 5 seconds and pull out again and check, should be near the top notch on the dipstick, if its lower then a small top up, and keep checking. Thats what i do.
Oil should be checked when the engine's warm.

·
Wife & Civics to support
235 Posts
There's 2 small holes at the bottom of the stick, the oil should cover both of these (min level and max level holes). I added a little bit more, towards the twist to be safe.
Careful, too much oil can be just as bad as too little and is certainly not safe. Best bet to be safe, is to stick to the ideal level between the 2 marks on the dipstick. I also agree with the post above... the oil should be up to temp before checking , not cold. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The manual states to check the oil at every fuel stop, and to check the oil when the engine is warm. Switch off the engine and wait 3 minutes, then check the oil.

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
Careful, too much oil can be just as bad as too little and is certainly not safe. Best bet to be safe, is to stick to the ideal level between the 2 marks on the dipstick. I also agree with the post above... the oil should be up to temp before checking , not cold. :facepalm:
Im hardly saying fill it half way up the dipstick, adding a touch more means when your making your engine work hard your in no danger of oil starvation.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The oil level light will get triggered when the oil level is half way on the dipstick on the CTR. I called the dealer when this happened to me and they told me that the alert does get triggered early for some reason.

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
depends how hard you thrash yours ;)

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
The oil level light will get triggered when the oil level is half way on the dipstick on the CTR. I called the dealer when this happened to me and they told me that the alert does get triggered early for some reason.

I've seen them run off the dipstick with no oil check light.

I have also seen them with plenty of oil with the light on ( software fixed that 1)

·
Wife & Civics to support
235 Posts
Im hardly saying fill it half way up the dipstick, adding a touch more means when your making your engine work hard your in no danger of oil starvation.
I know your not saying half way up the dipstick but all im trying to say is there is no benefit at all to over filling by any amount. Thats the whole point of having a minimum and maximum level. It doesnt say in the manual 'fill between min & max levels... but over filling up to the twist is fine.' I'm sure you wouldn't run around with the oil level just below the minimum mark. So why over fill? Believe me, the engine is in no danger of oil starvation even when working hard if the oil is between min and max marks. As I have posted in an older thread, I had a very bad experience in my younger years by over filling the oil. All I am trying to do is warn of the perils of the common misconception that under filling is bad but over filling is OK and won't matter. :D[smilie=thumbup.gif]

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know your not saying half way up the dipstick but all im trying to say is there is no benefit at all to over filling by any amount. Thats the whole point of having a minimum and maximum level. It doesnt say in the manual 'fill between min & max levels... but over filling up to the twist is fine.' I'm sure you wouldn't run around with the oil level just below the minimum mark. So why over fill? Believe me, the engine is in no danger of oil starvation even when working hard if the oil is between min and max marks. As I have posted in an older thread, I had a very bad experience in my younger years by over filling the oil. All I am trying to do is warn of the perils of the common misconception that under filling is bad but over filling is OK and won't matter. :D[smilie=thumbup.gif]
Agreed.

Unless of course you know better than Honda...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
Ok edit: depending on your engine and which oil pump and dipstick you have ;) Mines a Toda one so slightly different, the twist on the fn2 oem dipstick is where the max level hole is on the Toda one. I'd still have it covering the max level hole on the oem fn2 one though :)

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
eh i didnt know the civic had the twist style dip stick . mines 07 reg and i have the orange plastic dip with a honeycomb style one (presumably having a honey chrome effect will grip m,orre oil in effect for an easier reading ? ).

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I'd still have it covering the max level hole on the oem fn2 one though :)
Totally unnecessary pal! The max mark is just that; the maximum - not to be exceeded. Anywhere between min and max is absolutely fine; the optimum would be exactly half way between the two.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Totally unnecessary pal! The max mark is just that; the maximum - not to be exceeded. Anywhere between min and max is absolutely fine; the optimum would be exactly half way between the two.
Isnt that over filling the oil?

Isnt over filling oil a bad idea on spark ignition engines? Wont it end up running on oil?

We all know what happens to a compression combustion based engine if the oil is over filled.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Isnt that over filling the oil?

Isnt over filling oil a bad idea on spark ignition engines? Wont it end up running on oil?

We all know what happens to a compression combustion based engine if the oil is over filled.
What civi08 is suggesting is exactly that... No reason for it that I can see!
Half way between min and max is where I keep all my fluid levels (except washer fluid as I always run out too fast :lol:)

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
What civi08 is suggesting is exactly that... No reason for it that I can see!
Half way between min and max is where I keep all my fluid levels (except washer fluid as I always run out too fast :lol:)
Cool, yeah its a bad idea. Dont do that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts