2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for anyone who is thinking about buying a speed camera detector. My GF bought me a Cheetah Gps Mirror, it is quite large and the speaker is a bit crappy, anyway i plugged it into my boot socket and had it resting on my parcel shelf (just testing) my youngest opened the rear door and unkown to me the receiver dropped into the boot. Later in the day i found the receiver in the boot and realised that all morning it had been working with the receiver hidden away in the boot. My point in this story is that i have since fitted the mirror in the small cupboard that stores the jack, have removed the crappy speaker and extended the cable and fitted a decent one on the parcel shelf and now have a Gps Camera detector that is completely hidden away and provides audible warnings of cameras and if i am driving to fast. I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
How frequent are the database updates ?

These things are only as good as the database behind it.

I have a TalexLite and of late the company has gone from receivership to phoenix.
Unfortunately there are now reports of the database being firmly locked in the past even though they allegedly are updating it weekly.

PocketGPSWorld have an excellent database which is kept up to date by the hundreds of followers and is widely regarded.....

There has recently been an announcement that they are almost ready to link their database to a Speed Camera Device which I am watching with interest.

There has just been a new RedSpeed digital camera installed at the lights by my office so I will keep updating the Talex to see if it picks up the new camera. PGPSW should have the camera in it's next update as I have reported it to them.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
stick to a name thats been around and is trusted. i use a snooper sapphire nice bit of kit and life time sub for £99. i only use it when i have to drive out of my local town as we all know where out local cameras are.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gps

The cheetah gps mirror is linked to the trinity data base and is updated often. I had a snooper, but prefer no wires and no subscription fees, i also find the trinity database to be as good as snoopers. I was posting to people who have not yet purchased a gps system or for people who prefer no wires in the vehicle. it wasn't meant to start a debate on the best gps system, we can subscribe to 'which' for that.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cylon 2007- yes that is it

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
stick to a name thats been around and is trusted. i use a snooper sapphire nice bit of kit and life time sub for £99. i only use it when i have to drive out of my local town as we all know where out local cameras are.
i tried a Snooper and couldnt get on with it. So many missing cameras and false alerts. Went to Road Angel and never looked back. Brilliant bit of kit. Far superior to Snooper

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
That's surprising because the Snooper Enigma database is supposed to be one of the best.

I'm suspicious of the Snooper "lifetime" updates. Quite a few sites selling them quote the 'lifetime' as being 3 years with some only quoting 2 years.
To me lifetime means just that.

Even on the Snooper website the 'lifetime' bit has asterix round it and I can find no reference to what they consider as lifetime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts