2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, i believe it may be something to do with the brakes sticking but when the car rolls backwards very gently on a hill start when getting the clutch bite, i get the chewbacca sound very briefly. Also, they sound like they are grating when slowing down at slow speeds and there is also a squeal when at low speeds braking to a stop as well. The brake pads seem fine on the front. The N/S/R disc is rusty so it appears that this side isn't working..... Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
The "chewbacca sound" is well documented - it's the clutch, and it's perfectly normal.

Squeals from brakes are common, and generally caused by the grease on the calipers and pads drying out and causing sticking. Sounds like a full brake stripdown and regrease is in order - takes about 30-60 minutes per corner, depending on how confident you are. Not a massive job. Means you can inspect the pads whilst you're working as well.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "chewbacca sound" is well documented - it's the clutch, and it's perfectly normal.

Squeals from brakes are common, and generally caused by the grease on the calipers and pads drying out and causing sticking. Sounds like a full brake stripdown and regrease is in order - takes about 30-60 minutes per corner, depending on how confident you are. Not a massive job. Means you can inspect the pads whilst you're working as well.
Thanks buddy. The chewbacca sound i used to get on my old one when releasing the clutch but it's not the case with this one. It makes the sound when i start to roll backwards just before getting the clutch bite. So it would do it if i was in neutral rolling back.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As well as it making this noise when the car immediately starts to roll backwards, the noise also appears when i get out the car too. Any ideas.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,229 Posts
As well as it making this noise when the car immediately starts to roll backwards, the noise also appears when i get out the car too. Any ideas.
Could it be something as simple as your handbrake needs adjusting? I know I didn't fully apply mine the other day and it made groaning noises...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts