2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just following on, but off topic of, supermarket car parks , and how wide the rear doors open (or don't)

Everyone who has kids under the age of 12 has remembered / realised they need a child car seat by law as of (I think) Oct 1st?

Luckily I only need 1 (booster) for my 6yr old, as my other 2 are 12 and 14 (and over the height limit anyway)

For those it does affect, might be worth posting up what child seats you have, and any issues / good bits about them?

I know they have been mentioned in passing here and there, but thought it might be handy to chuck this thread up :)

Or not - please feel free to ignore it! :D

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I'm running a Britax 'Trio' at the moment.

Does a good job seems comfy - although I've not tried it myself!

Later on the back rest can become detached and it's then a booster.

It's held in place by the rear seat belt and that little tag on the rear seat by the belt exit helps hold the belt in place when re-installing after removal.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
darn - didn't think to look in Buying... sorry :oops:

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the search is my friend
the search is my friend
the search is my friend
the search is my friend
the search is my friend
the search is my friend
the search is my friend
the search is my friend
the search is my friend
the search is my friend
the search is my friend
the search is my friend
the search is my friend

:oops:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use a Britax Duo Plus Isofix which seems to fit just fine but isn't mentioned as being compatible with a Civic on the Britax fit finder site, or a Britax Elite (I think) which uses the seat belt. My daughter is at booster seat age so no probs there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was surprised to find out that honda has their own selection of baby / child car seat. Looks pretty good on pic

·
Registered
277 Posts
Jazz - I think most car manufacturer child seats tend to just be rebranded from the usual car seat makers eg Britax etc. We have a Maxi Cosi Priori XP for our two year old. Current car doesn't have ISOFIX. I can certainly recommend the Maxi Cosi, which I think came second in a Which Test, very sturdy/secure and easy to remove and put back in the car.

Does anyone has two Class I (ie aged 1 yr to 4 yr (approx)) seats in the back of their car ? Just wonder how much gap is in the middle (I know this will vary depending on what seat you have) and whether anyones sat in between ?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
our booster seat (which is the bottom bit of a 'full' child seat) does take up pretty much ALL of the outside seat space- it's too wide to fit in the middle seat.

I think it would be a bit tight in the middle if you had one on both sides.

It's not too bad with just the one :)

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
WARNING. I've just taken the child seat out, and the plastic frame has cut a mark into the velour seat. Its not damaged,

but if your grandparents like us, and you don't need the seat in every day, take it out.

Or put a blanket on the seat and back to protect the velour.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Having 2 kids pretty young we have two seats in the back.
One's a Recaro Start and it's a great seat in it's own right (if a tad expensive). But as it has to be used for many years and miles I thought it better to pay up front for a decent seat. It's also useful to have a seat the kids like so they don't feel like a baby and don't want to use it.
The other's a Bebe Comfort, which had a few features we liked so we live with the ones' we don't. Due for change up to another Recaro soon though. :cry:
Both fit in easily although they kind of fill the back seat up, still plenty of room for toys, nappies and the like though. :lol:
No real space to sit there though so a bit of a 4 seater now. :lol:

We had a look at Isofix seats and never found any that we liked (or fitted well!!!) not to say there isn't; we just settled for a different seat before finding one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish someone had bought me a recarro seat as a kid :cry:

(or as an adult for that matter :lol:)

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
TTDegs said:
I wish someone had bought me a recaro seat as a kid :cry:

One of the reasons we bought it, I'm too big for it but my son loves his racing seat :lol:
Just one of the many boys toys he gets coz I can't :wink: One day he'll beat me at Scalextric :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MC Hammer said:
TTDegs said:
I wish someone had bought me a recaro seat as a kid :cry:

One of the reasons we bought it, I'm too big for it but my son loves his racing seat :lol:
Just one of the many boys toys he gets coz I can't :wink: One day he'll beat me at Scalextric :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
bet he beats you on the xbox though :oops: (I know mine lad thrashes me...)

Hmmm....
I could put Recarros in the Civic though - couldn't in the TT with only 2 doors....
TT wanders off to the RipSpeed site :wink:

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
552 Posts
Going to resurrect this a bit, just gone out to buy the stage 2 seat for Jnr and the Maxi-Cosi PrioriFix we were looking to buy doesn't fit the back seat!?!? too much lateral movement, also the rep from Mothercare couldn't get the belt tight enough when using the normal Priori XP.

Trouble is Jnr doesn’t like the Brittax seat and squirmed about as soon as he was in it. Has anyone got a Maxi-Cosi stage 2 fitted OK??? If so which one.

Thanks

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
552 Posts
Thanks mate. I've been busy, what with moving house, looking after Jnr and work I don't get much me time anymore :( ;)

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Going to resurrect this a bit, just gone out to buy the stage 2 seat for Jnr and the Maxi-Cosi PrioriFix we were looking to buy doesn't fit the back seat!?!? too much lateral movement, also the rep from Mothercare couldn't get the belt tight enough when using the normal Priori XP.

Trouble is Jnr doesn’t like the Brittax seat and squirmed about as soon as he was in it. Has anyone got a Maxi-Cosi stage 2 fitted OK??? If so which one.
Fitting of child seats is an art you need to perfect, just takes practice.
I've found that a knee and a lot of weight on the seat helps you get the car seat belt tight. The car seat base needs to be compressed to hold the seat tight hence the additional weight required on the seat.
For many outings we had a 'loose' fitted child seat until I managed to get it fitted snug:oops:.
I'm surprised the shop rep couldn't get it fitted though. Not got a Maxi-cosi seat but having had various seats in my cars I suspect it just needs a forcefully fitting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts