2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Firstly let me say I have checked the fuse and it is fine, however my front cigarette lighter socket is not working. There was a bit of gunk in there so I tried to clean it with a cotton bud dipped in lemon juice and when that didnt work some bicarbonate of soda but its still not working.

This is a real blow as until I sort out how I'm going to connect my phone up for charging and audio, I bought a cheap charger as my battery is awful and I have a 6 hour drive coming up soon.

Could anyone advise on what I could try?

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
Take it to the dealer, my cig lighter stopped working and it was because the wire underneath had fell off.

Took them about 15 minutes to sort it out.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
If that's the case, would it not be possible to DIY it? Could it be soldered back on or something?

Would save a few bob anyways.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If that's the case, would it not be possible to DIY it? Could it be soldered back on or something?

Would save a few bob anyways.
Yeah its just a small plug.

You need to take the rear armrest out to remove the section the cig lighter is in, however, I've fairly sure that the lighter unit itself lifts out, if your careful..........

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Check for 12v.. check for earth. If all ok then it's not wiring or power supply issues. Will then be just the unit itself with a bit of luck

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
More likely to be the metal clip's that come in contact with the electricity source. I've had this happen before and it was a case of bending clips out so the lighter came in contact with the power source.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More likely to be the metal clip's that come in contact with the electricity source. I've had this happen before and it was a case of bending clips out so the lighter came in contact with the power source.
yeah I specifically cleaned those clips but didnt think to try to bend them out in case its a contact thing. I'll try that. Having said that there is no power coming and going when I wiggle the plug around which normally is the case with that issue in my experience.

I think a dealer would rip me off big time to get this sorted as its a 56 car with no warranty.

Is there a guide with pictures on how to remove the arm rest section to get to it in case thats necessary or is it in the manual?

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Try 'filing' down any plastic protrusions \ corners at the bottom of the charger plug ...

If no go, for your trip (as a temporary measure), you could fit the charger in the socket in the boot and run an extra long USB cable to the front ...

·
Supporter
641 Posts
Mine didnt work either from buying the car. When I took my centre console out to fit my connects box the wire to it had fallen off and wouldnt stay on so it soldered it in place. Works fine now :D

·
Supporter
641 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
any guides on how to take off the center console?

four screws underneath the plastic lugs, It just pops off mate. piece of piss 2 minute job.

ive had mine on and off and on and off and on and off countless times.

In fact ive lost or broken most of those popper buttons.

any know the best place to get some from?

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ok well i went out on my lunchbreak and followed the wiki. It was easy and I now feel like one of you and that I truly belong after these hardcore modifications (i.e - undoing 4 screws)

However... the wiring looked fine and all was connected fine. I removed the cigarette lighter and washed and dried it thoroughly but its still a no go.

All i can think of other than trying to find a replacement is switching the front and back ones around as I'll almost definitely never use the rear one... However after searching the wiki and the net I can't find if its possible to get into the rear one in the same way to switch them round?

Incidentally, looking inside of both of them, they look totally different... is that normal? The rear one is all totally plain and smooth with a flat bottom, the front one has plastic and metal shards sticking out everywhere and a screw head at the bottom..

edit: just had a good go and trying to get to the rear 12v, removed door seal and tugged and pulled a few bits but I can't see a way of getting in there

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
The rear one is for power only (electric air pump \ cool box \ etc.) - the front is designed to accept the cigarette lighter or supply power ...

Is there power to the front socket ? - is the fuse o.k. ? - use a 12V bulb and a bit of wire to see if power is reaching the socket ...

If it's the socket that is at fault (does the USB charger work ?) then change it out - not expensive and doesn't need to be a Honda part (most such sockets are the same \ similar) ...

In any case, snce you have just bought the car, the Dealer should fix all such 'niggles' \ faults for free - "Sale of Goods" Act and all that (nothing to do with any Honda warranty or otherwise) ...

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Before removing the rear - test it works :)

It sounds like the front one has some bits inside it - like a broken charger end

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys, the rear charger does work with the USB charger so both the charger and the rear socket work. I dont have a bulb to hand to test the wiring at the front but I would do so with a volt meter (is that what they;re clalled?) before buying the part unless its really dirt cheap - prob is I can't find one anywhere on the net...

I drove 4 hours to birmingham to buy the car (as I liked the colour and spec and couldnt find one locally in the last month or so) so really can't rely on him with regards to the warranty to be honest.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts