2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I only got my Honda 8th Gen (08 plate) a couple of months ago and already adding bits.

The main problem I have at the moment is the cig lighter, it will heat up the doobrie (technical name i believe) but when i plug in a USB adapter although it lights the little led up (i got another model to test and have the same problem) it doesn't seem to provide enough juice to charge my mobile (Sony Xperia T).

Has anyone experienced this before or know that the lighters just don't provide enough amp-age? I have purchased a replacement lighter socket but didn’t want to be arsed taking the centre panel out if its a known issue.

Thanks

John

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Hi mate. Not what you want to hear, but the cig lighter usb thing charges my iphone 4s fine. Could be a faulty one you got?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
the cig lighter socket should be capable of delivering 10 amps the standard max current for a usb socket is .5 amps ( 500ma ) although some boast 2 amp but they are way below the max current the cig lighter socket can supply

as already said it sounds like a faulty usb adapter

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Chances are your phone is assuming your charger is a USB socket, rather than an AC adapter, and so limiting the current draw to around 500mA.

For me, I solved this by cutting up a cable and connecting the data pins, but you also open up the charger itself and solder the pins together.

A neater solution is to create an adapter cable - I'm waiting on some parts to arrive so I can do this myself.

You may be able to purchase some sort of adapter cable, but I haven't seen one.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,891 Posts
I had an old cigarette lighter USB adaptor that was unable to supply sufficient current to charge my new mobile. So I bought a replacement adaptor... sorted!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your replies, i did get another usb adaptor and had the same problem.

I have now ordered an charger (where its all in one) and will give that a go.

I have also just ordered an xCarlink so will be opening up the center bit anyway to fit that so will change the cig lighter out then as the previous owner was a smoker so it looks minging.

John

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@x5252x Can you give me a heads up when you have made your cable, i would be interested in more info / buying one from you if it works well?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
@x5252x Can you give me a heads up when you have made your cable, i would be interested in more info / buying one from you if it works well?
Sure.

I ordered some connectors from Hong Kong just a few days ago, so they probably won't arrive for a couple weeks at least.

It's nothing complex though, you just need a female and male USB connector and some cable.

It uses the same principal as I mentioned before, the data pins being tied together to tell the phone it's an AC power source rather than a standard USB port.

Currently I'm using a modified cable with the pins tied together, but this isn't ideal for a few reasons. Firstly the strength of the cable is somewhat reduced due to being cut, although I managed to only peel a slight amount off the side rather than cut all the way through so it's not too bad. Secondly, you can't use it as a data cable anymore.

With the adapter, it means you can use the original cable, and guarantees that you can obtain AC charge current from whatever you plug it into, not just a car charger (depending on the current output of the device of course).

I've had a look at CPC/Maplin/eBay etc but can't seem to find the USB connectors anywhere other than Hong Kong.

If you want to make one yourself then you'll need to get a male and female USB connector (with the plastic housing), try the .com eBay site for this, I got 5 connectors for ~£1.50, so £3 total for both male and female.

I'd be happy to send you one for around £3 to cover the cost of materials and postage, but I won't have the parts for a couple weeks as I mentioned.

However, as said above, some car USB chargers already have these pins connected so your phone will charge at the full AC rate. Or, you can just open up your existing charger and solder the pins together, they shouldn't be connected to anything already.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies, i did get another usb adaptor and had the same problem.

I have now ordered an charger (where its all in one) and will give that a go.

I have also just ordered an xCarlink so will be opening up the center bit anyway to fit that so will change the cig lighter out then as the previous owner was a smoker so it looks minging.

John
Try what I mentioned, open up the charger and connect the two data pins together.

Not sure of your experience with a soldering iron, but if you're not confident I'm happy to do it for you if you post the charger to me and cover the return cost.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Sure.

I ordered some connectors from Hong Kong just a few days ago, so they probably won't arrive for a couple weeks at least.

It's nothing complex though, you just need a female and male USB connector and some cable.

It uses the same principal as I mentioned before, the data pins being tied together to tell the phone it's an AC power source rather than a standard USB port.

Currently I'm using a modified cable with the pins tied together, but this isn't ideal for a few reasons. Firstly the strength of the cable is somewhat reduced due to being cut, although I managed to only peel a slight amount off the side rather than cut all the way through so it's not too bad. Secondly, you can't use it as a data cable anymore.

With the adapter, it means you can use the original cable, and guarantees that you can obtain AC charge current from whatever you plug it into, not just a car charger (depending on the current output of the device of course).

I've had a look at CPC/Maplin/eBay etc but can't seem to find the USB connectors anywhere other than Hong Kong.

If you want to make one yourself then you'll need to get a male and female USB connector (with the plastic housing), try the .com eBay site for this, I got 5 connectors for ~£1.50, so £3 total for both male and female.

I'd be happy to send you one for around £3 to cover the cost of materials and postage, but I won't have the parts for a couple weeks as I mentioned.

However, as said above, some car USB chargers already have these pins connected so your phone will charge at the full AC rate. Or, you can just open up your existing charger and solder the pins together, they shouldn't be connected to anything already.
What do you mean AC?

As you already said it the AMPs that are the issue... iPhones and other high end mobiles need 2A chargers, but the volts must always be the USB standard of 5V.

Never wire a USB cable directly to the cars 12v supply... you will destroy your phone :(

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
What do you mean AC?

As you already said it the AMPs that are the issue... iPhones and other high end mobiles need 2A chargers, but the volts must always be the USB standard of 5V.

Never wire a USB cable directly to the cars 12v supply... you will destroy your phone :(
No one is talking of wiring it directly to the 12v.

A modern smartphone has 2 charging modes, "AC", and "USB".

I can plug my phone into a 10A charger, but it's not going to suddenly pull 10A is it. If it's only on USB mode, it will pull 500mA max, if you want it to charge at full potential, as in, actually able to charge/maintain a charge whilst using navigation, it needs to be in AC mode, just like when you charge it from the wall.

Do not mistake the AC in my post for alternating current.

To put the phone in AC mode, you connect the data pins together, unless it's an iPhone, last time I checked they needed a specific voltage on the pins to charge on AV mode.

Hope this clears any confusion...

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,891 Posts
No one is talking of wiring it directly to the 12v.

A modern smartphone has 2 charging modes, "AC", and "USB".

I can plug my phone into a 10A charger, but it's not going to suddenly pull 10A is it. If it's only on USB mode, it will pull 500mA max, if you want it to charge at full potential, as in, actually able to charge/maintain a charge whilst using navigation, it needs to be in AC mode, just like when you charge it from the wall.

Do not mistake the AC in my post for alternating current.

To put the phone in AC mode, you connect the data pins together, unless it's an iPhone, last time I checked they needed a specific voltage on the pins to charge on AV mode.

Hope this clears any confusion...
... not really.

My HTC draws whatever current it needs from my new car adaptor, up to what I assume to be a maximum of 1 Amp, which is the output limit of that adaptor. My previous adaptor had an output limit of only 0.5 Amp (500mA), so did actually fail to charge if the phone was also in use and drawing a high load. I've not had to short any USB pins together to make it function properly like this, so maybe these pins are already shorted on the adaptor because the manufacturer knows that they needed to be... wouldn't all car USB adaptors be supplied like this as standard?

What does AC stand for, if not Alternating Current?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
My HTC draws whatever current it needs from my new car adaptor, up to what I assume to be a maximum of 1 Amp, which is the output limit of that adaptor. My previous adaptor had an output limit of only 0.5 Amp (500mA), so did actually fail to charge if the phone was also in use and drawing a high load.
The charger can be a limiting factor, but I haven't seen a 500mA charger for sale in quite a while now, so all posts I've made assume a charger of 1A or more.

If you tied the data pins on such a charger, the phone is likely to pull MORE than the 500mA the charger is rated for, and likely cause failure in the charger due to heat.

The charger itself is RATED for a certain current, it is the phone or tablet that actually decides what charging rate to use. This is usually 500mA in USB mode, and 1A for a phone in AC mode, or 2A for a tablet in AC mode.

I've not had to short any USB pins together to make it function properly like this, so maybe these pins are already shorted on the adaptor because the manufacturer knows that they needed to be... wouldn't all car USB adaptors be supplied like this as standard?
Then the charger will have the pins connected. Try a multimeter.

Why not supplied as standard? Ask a manufacturer.

I think you'll find most, if not all, genuine phone-specific chargers do indeed have the data pins tied, just like in your wall charger. It is the generic car adapters that do not always have this done.

What does AC stand for, if not Alternating Current?
AC alone does stand for that, but in the context of every post I am using it to define the mode in which the phone charges, as displayed in the charging menu of an Android phone, and as most people refer to it.

Edit: Just a bit of further information.

Although the phone decides the charge rate, depending on the quality of the charger, it will have it's own built in maximum controlled by an IC, and so only provides say 700mA, despite the phone "asking" for 1000mA.

There is a simple test you can do as you have an Android phone, connect your Sony Xperia T up to the charger, and check the battery settings on the phone, if it says "AC Power", or similar, then the pins are tied already. This means your issue is the charger itself not being able to supply a high enough current. If your settings screen says "USB Mode" or similar, then an adapter/connecting the data pins should solve your issue providing the charger you purchased is rated for 1A or more.

For reference, two of the cheaper chargers I purchased off eBay already had the pins tied, the more expensive charger with better quality and efficient circuitry did not have the pins tied.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts