2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps. Fairly new member here and only had the 2010 type s gt a couple of weeks.

Was on a motorway round trip tonight and had a bit of a funny issue with my power sockets.

The battery on my phone was dying but my sat nav was plugged into the armrest socket so I attempted to charge the phone using a neat little twin USB adapter in the cigarette lighter socket.

Zilcho power provided.

I therefore assumed that the fuse had blown or there was a fault in the socket and unplugged the sat nav from the armrest and tried the USB adapter in there. Bingo - phone charges no problem.

Just out of interest I then plugged the sat nav into the cigarette lighter and it provided power to that device no probs.

So in short, either the cigarette lighter is not providing power to the USB adapter and subsequently the lighting cable to charge the phone, and it's a car/socket issue, or the USB adapter is of a design that works in the armrest socket but not in the cigarette lighter socket - perhaps too short?

Any ideas??
Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
613 Posts
Some of the cigarette lighter USB chargers are just too short and won't work, which is very annoying. Try buying a genuine - and boxed - belkin one.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
As above, I also found out after picking up my car from London and driving back to Cambridge that my phone (being used for nav) had about 5% battery left as the USB adapter I was using wasn't quite the right fit for the cigarette lighter socket.

You will notice in the armrest that the socket is one size the whole way down, but the cigarette lighter has a slightly smaller diameter near the bottom.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
As above, I also found out after picking up my car from London and driving back to Cambridge that my phone (being used for nav) had about 5% battery left as the USB adapter I was using wasn't quite the right fit for the cigarette lighter socket.

You will notice in the armrest that the socket is one size the whole way down, but the cigarette lighter has a slightly smaller diameter near the bottom.
+1

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... So potentially something like this?
http://www.belkin.com/uk/F8J071-Belkin/p/P-F8J071/

I could really do with the double adapter in case I have a situation where I need to charge a couple of devices at the same time (eg phone and the boy's iPad).

Would be handy to know if anyone has something similar that works in the cigarette lighter socket before an experimental purchase?

Cheers.

·
SHOCKD
4,351 Posts
Dual Car Charger with Lightning to USB Cable (10 Watt/2.1 Amp Per Port) | Car Chargers | Charging | Power | Products | Belkin UK site

I could really do with the double adapter in case I have a situation where I need to charge a couple of devices at the same time (eg phone and the boy's iPad).

Would be handy to know if anyone has something similar that works in the cigarette lighter socket before an experimental purchase?

Cheers.
Yeah mate that should work.. I got an aftermarket one which works fine and cost me the whole of 1.50..

I had such a nightmare with mine as some of the devices I was plugging in was just blowing the fuse straight away.. But that belkin one should be fine mate

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah mate that should work.. I got an aftermarket one which works fine and cost me the whole of 1.50..

I had such a nightmare with mine as some of the devices I was plugging in was just blowing the fuse straight away.. But that belkin one should be fine mate

Yeah the one I've got cost me no more than £2 from asda of all places, and it's a shame as it works fine in the armrest socket, but for neatness I prefer the sat nav cable in there.

The other option I suppose would be to get an adapter that splits the armrest socket into two and have the USB in one port and the satnav in the other, leaving the cigarette lighter socket unused.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thing is in my ES model, I only have one socket which is the cigarette lighter socket So I had to sort it.

I would check all the cabling behind it mate as it may be loose. Unless you have done that already

Ah of course. The armrest socket only arrived post '09 didn't it?
Not checked anything yet as it was only discovered last night and in work today.

Not sure I'd really know what I was looking for anyway or how to action. I can fettle a push bike all day, but a lot of car stuff is out of my comfort zone.

It should be fine though if the SATNAV works in it, it's probably just different socket designs not agreeing with the USB adapter.

Cheers

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Not checked anything yet as it was only discovered last night and in work today.

Not sure I'd really know what I was looking for anyway or how to action. I can fettle a push bike all day, but a lot of car stuff is out of my comfort zone.

It should be fine though if the SATNAV works in it, it's probably just different socket designs not agreeing with the USB adapter.

Cheers
Correct! 18 posts and already getting to know the car like any of us - you'll be in that comfort zone again in no time :D

·
SHOCKD
4,351 Posts

Cheers

No problem mate

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,165 Posts
Dual Car Charger with Lightning to USB Cable (10 Watt/2.1 Amp Per Port) | Car Chargers | Charging | Power | Products | Belkin UK site

Cheers.
Hi Phil,

What about the 3rd socket in the boot (nearside behind the rear seat?) If that operates your lad's iPad, you could get round it with that one...

Glad to see you drawing on and adding to the civic cerebral collective!!! Still like the civic? Sounds like you do.

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Phil,

What about the 3rd socket in the boot (nearside behind the rear seat?) If that operates your lad's iPad, you could get round it with that one...

Glad to see you drawing on and adding to the civic cerebral collective!!! Still like the civic? Sounds like you do.

Cheers

Tim

I haven't tried it to be honest... But The problem would be charging while on the move and him still being able to use it... Unless I shut him in the boot!!

Enjoying the civic a lot... I'm getting a strange squeaking over bumpy surfaces from either the windscreen or dash though, and there's a couple of odd knocks and clicks at slow speed in first. Still very much getting used to it but generally happy, and looks great.

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,165 Posts
I haven't tried it to be honest... But The problem would be charging while on the move and him still being able to use it... Unless I shut him in the boot!!
Haha, I was thinking more that you could pass it through the gap at the side of the rear seat near the latching point at the top, assuming it's not trapped.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha, I was thinking more that you could pass it through the gap at the side of the rear seat near the latching point at the top, assuming it's not trapped.

Ah of course, but unfortunately he usually sits up front with me, so it would probably be a bit of a stretch.

It's really not the end of the world for me to plug the sat nav into the cigarette lighter and the USB adapter into the armrest, it's just a little frustrating that the cigarette lighter socket works for one and not the other. I'll get over it ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Other option is a cigarette lighter splitter.
Yeah I thought about that. Have SATNAV in one splitter and the iPad and iPhone charging in the other, and leave the cigarette socket alone.
Would that overload the armrest socket though?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts