2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone knows how much amps does the cigarette lighter next to the gear box gives out? Also the one in the glove box?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
it's fused with a 15 amp fuse so less than that
looking at the wiring to the lighter socket i would think you would be pushing it drawing 10 amps

you could draw the full 15 amps right up until the fuse gives up but i bet there'd be a familiar smell of melting wires if you did it for any amount of time

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's fused with a 15 amp fuse so less than that
looking at the wiring to the lighter socket i would think you would be pushing it drawing 10 amps

you could draw the full 15 amps right up until the fuse gives up but i bet there'd be a familiar smell of melting wires if you did it for any amount of time
The reason that i am asking is because i have 2 same model dashcam. And its little wired, while i am driving the charger is charging the daskcam, but after a while, the dashcam is turning off, because of low battery. Looks like the power from the glove box is too low, and not able to charge and record in the same time. ITs doing this on the both cameras, so i think its not a broken camera. Now i am driving it while its connected to light cigarette plug, and will see what will happend.
Also another point is that i am not driving the car a lot. maybe 2 times a week.
But if i charge the dashcam on home power supply, when i install it on the dash, there is now problem... its recording all the time....:facepalm::facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
dashcams usually draw less than 500ma ( 0.5 of 1 amp ) the cig lighter would easily be able to provide power for both dashcams
when you say your taking power from the glove box i'm not sure what you mean by that there is nothing to take power from in my glove box ( 2.2 civic es ) if your talking about taking power from usb some usb have a maximum current output of 500ma which would be fine for one dashcam but might struggle with two

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No no... I didnt explain it correctly. I have 2 sets with two cameras front and rear. I am using only one at a time... And the power that i am taking from was the box next to the gearbox... Where the aux and usb is. And i am usong the power cord....Not the glove box... My bad...

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figure it out. The cigarette lighter gives much power out then the plug in the box for the hand rest.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
If you have a 2way charger plug that's cheaper they tend to be less powerful. I had to search ebay for a high power one. Managed to find one on amazon... Its worth it http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M8XUNJA

Late to the show as usual!

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont have any additional plugs, this plug came with the factory vehicle... it says 12v 100watt max

1 - 8 of 8 Posts