2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a Honda Civic EX 2007 (Petrol), and have had it for less than 6 months. Over that 6 months iv noticed noises one by one standing out that wasn't there before. The Civic 07 has to be the most noisy car iv ever owned, or sat in, in my life. If you can relate to any of these problems, please do post a comment. Here is a run down of each noise as I found it, plus a few other annoying things iv found in just 5 months of having this car.

Suspension creek:
Had a spell of rain during the first week of me getting my Civic, and in my area we have humps, lots of humps. I noticed as I went over a hump I hear this compression squeak, like wet rubber against metal. Took me a while to narrow it down to the front suspension. Although my car is under warranty, the dealer is located on beautiful flat roads with zero humps, so they cant produce the fault.

Dash Vibration:
Between 2-3rd gear going up a hill, the passenger dash vibrates, and does this every time I go through these gears, more so on hills. Very annoying, and emphasised just how cheap these cars are made/designed

Deep rumble on full lock steering:
I noticed this one during this summer. When I turn into a road on a full right turn, I noticed this deep rumble like grinding noise, much more apparent in the summer months. The sound would do this after a right lock turn, then to turn after that, also to turn while static, such as at the traffic lights, but only after a fully right lock turn first.

Relay switch louder for wipers:
This was a mind game, as I swear I didnt have this problem when I first got the car. When wipers are on automatic, every time they come on I hear the relay switch go, but its a loud tick which is hard to ignore. Not sure if this is like a clock in your room, and you can only hear when you are looking for the sound, but I certainly notice it now in my car.

Cold Start squeal noise:
When the temps dropped to around 1c, I noticed when starting my car which is in the garage over night, the engine would start, but a secondary squeal like sound would follow, as if its the starter motor trying to continue to start the car, only happen a few times, as the temps haven't dropped that low again since.

Click on the Clutch
Few weeks ago I'm driving down the road, and noticed this click noise every time I press the clutch. Driving me mad I had to investigate this. It looks to be some switch that the clutch peddle come in and out of contact with. When it comes out of contact the click happens.

Wiper making a odd noise
I noticed last week a odd noise coming from the wipers, it turns out its not the blades, but something else, maybe the motor. Ether way the noise is irritating, and loud, and happens every time the blades move.

Additional annoying things:

Door handle half came away from the drivers door:
Not a noise issue, but this goes to indicate how cheap these cars are built. There was no reason for this to happen, it just popped half off?

Auto windows failed to work on passenger side:
I went to petrol station, and noticed the passenger front window didn't auto wind up when I pressed the button, I had to keep the button held down. I tried a few times and it would not work. I got my petrol, came back, and it started to work again. I hate intermittent faults, cant be diagnosed easy, and likely to go after warranty ends.

Auto wiper on water squirt fails on short bursts, Dangerous

I was out driving during summer months, and noticed a small amount of dirt, not much, so quickly pulled my lever to wash the windows. The wipers did not come across, so for them few moments I was driving blind, I had to manually put the wipers on to clear it. After pulling over to see what's going on I noticed that it only happens if you don't hold the lever for at least 3 seconds. Again never seen, and had this happend on any other car, a quick squirt can cause a instant crash.

key Thobb fails to work after getting cold
Went fishing one night, when I returned to the car the key thobb would not work. I had to use the lock, but then the alarm went off. Oddly enough although the thobb wasn't working, the car still let me start the engine and drive it while the alarm was going off? I started to use my spare key, and for a few trips it was ok, then this too started to do the same thing. The cure? I had to keep the dam key warm, never in my life have I had this with another car.

Indicators activating when a slight lever movement

I was out one night in pitch darkness and used my full beam, being I don't want to blind other drivers, I turn it off every time a on coming car comes. I noticed at times if I dont pull the lever direct back, but with slight side pull, the indicators would activate without the lever stick fully push in position in which you would normally expect them to come on. Only way to get them to go off is to actually put the indicators on, then to off position?

MPG poor
Despite the manufacturer MPG we all know they are never accurate, but now far out should they be? According to the official figures my car should do 33mpg around town. I do mostly around town driving, and make a point of not racing my car. I always try my best to get them green L.e.d lights to show as full as I can, and despite this my car computer is showing im getting 28 MPG, my calculations shows im getting 3 MPH less which shows my car doing between 24- 26 MPG in all cases its much lower that the stated MPG for town driving.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
I own a Honda Civic EX 2007 (Petrol), and have had it for less than 6 months. Over that 6 months iv noticed noises one by one standing out that wasn't there before. The Civic 07 has to be the most noisy car iv ever owned, or sat in, in my life. If you can relate to any of these problems, please do post a comment. Here is a run down of each noise as I found it, plus a few other annoying things iv found in just 5 months of having this car.

Suspension creek:
Had a spell of rain during the first week of me getting my Civic, and in my area we have humps, lots of humps. I noticed as I went over a hump I hear this compression squeak, like wet rubber against metal. Took me a while to narrow it down to the front suspension. Although my car is under warranty, the dealer is located on beautiful flat roads with zero humps, so they cant produce the fault.

Dash Vibration:
Between 2-3rd gear going up a hill, the passenger dash vibrates, and does this every time I go through these gears, more so on hills. Very annoying, and emphasised just how cheap these cars are made/designed

I noticed this one during this summer. When I turn into a road on a full right turn, I noticed this deep rumble like grinding noise, much more apparent in the summer months. The sound would do this after a right lock turn, then to turn after that, also to turn while static, such as at the traffic lights, but only after a fully right lock turn first.

This was a mind game, as I swear I didnt have this problem when I first got the car. When wipers are on automatic, every time they come on I hear the relay switch go, but its a loud tick which is hard to ignore. Not sure if this is like a clock in your room, and you can only hear when you are looking for the sound, but I certainly notice it now in my car.

Cold Start squeal noise:
When the temps dropped to around 1c, I noticed when starting my car which is in the garage over night, the engine would start, but a secondary squeal like sound would follow, as if its the starter motor trying to continue to start the car, only happen a few times, as the temps haven't dropped that low again since.

Click on the Clutch
Few weeks ago I'm driving down the road, and noticed this click noise every time I press the clutch. Driving me mad I had to investigate this. It looks to be some switch that the clutch peddle come in and out of contact with. When it comes out of contact the click happens.

Wiper making a odd noise
I noticed last week a odd noise coming from the wipers, it turns out its not the blades, but something else, maybe the motor. Ether way the noise is irritating, and loud, and happens every time the blades move.

Not a noise issue, but this goes to indicate how cheap these cars are built. There was no reason for this to happen, it just popped half off?

I went to petrol station, and noticed the passenger front window didn't auto wind up when I pressed the button, I had to keep the button held down. I tried a few times and it would not work. I got my petrol, came back, and it started to work again. I hate intermittent faults, cant be diagnosed easy, and likely to go after warranty ends.

I was out driving during summer months, and noticed a small amount of dirt, not much, so quickly pulled my lever to wash the windows. The wipers did not come across, so for them few moments I was driving blind, I had to manually put the wipers on to clear it. After pulling over to see what's going on I noticed that it only happens if you don't hold the lever for at least 3 seconds. Again never seen, and had this happend on any other car, a quick squirt can cause a instant crash.

Went fishing one night, when I returned to the car the key thobb would not work. I had to use the lock, but then the alarm went off. Oddly enough although the thobb wasn't working, the car still let me start the engine and drive it while the alarm was going off? I started to use my spare key, and for a few trips it was ok, then this too started to do the same thing. The cure? I had to keep the dam key warm, never in my life have I had this with another car.

I was out one night in pitch darkness and used my full beam, being I don't want to blind other drivers, I turn it off every time a on coming car comes. I noticed at times if I dont pull the lever direct back, but with slight side pull, the indicators would activate without the lever stick fully push in position in which you would normally expect them to come on. Only way to get them to go off is to actually put the indicators on, then to off position?

MPG poor
Despite the manufacturer MPG we all know they are never accurate, but now far out should they be? According to the official figures my car should do 33mpg around town. I do mostly around town driving, and make a point of not racing my car. I always try my best to get them green L.e.d lights to show as full as I can, and despite this my car computer is showing im getting 28 MPG, my calculations shows im getting 3 MPH less which shows my car doing between 24- 26 MPG in all cases its much lower that the stated MPG for town driving.
It's called having Character :popcorn:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had to get the Honda UK to replace under warranty the front suspension on my 2007 1.8. It made a lot of noise.

MPG wise I think my Civic is pretty good. I drove it through the Scottish borders the other week and got 51.2 mpg average (no lie). But mixed driving over a whole tank returns 37-40 mpg. Around town the stated MPG figures are a sack of crap. It totally depends on how long you are sitting still, sitting still kills MPG.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm not sure what OP hopes to solve on an internet forum after buying a crap second hand car and moaning about it to total strangers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what OP hopes to solve on an internet forum after buying a crap second hand car and moaning about it to total strangers.
To clarify, Im not posting on a random internet forum, this is a dedicated Honda civic forum, within a section dedicated to the 8th Gen, in a sub section for Bugs, Faults, and irritations.

Looking at the thousands of other such Bugs, Faults, and irritations, it would seem this is not only the correct place to post this thread, but one of legitimate reasoning, that being while the people who are here such as yourself are in fact strangers, a majority of those who post here are not strangers to my specific car, that being a 8th gen Honda Civic.

What I intend to get from this thread is related information from others who may have come across some, or all of these issues. I have done a search and found some similar matching issues, but this thread has multiple issues, so I used the prefix "Log list", as my issue is not one single issue. I hope you read my reply as friendly, and not take it out of context.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
The auto window problem sounds to me like a reset thing. Have you recently changed the battery?
Suspension noises could be the top mounts. I would say since you still have a guarantee go with your list to the dealer and sort them out. Strange that you didn't pick most of these faults before buying thw car.
Ah and the indicators is not a problem but a feature. Allows to change lanes as the indicators are blinking for a short period and then turn off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks as though he was sold a Pup that hadn't been looked after....
The odd thing was its from a Honda dealer, and the last owner was Honda them self. Its got a full service history, and only done 46k.

I had to get the Honda UK to replace under warranty the front suspension on my 2007 1.8. It made a lot of noise. Could you remember what the fault was, maybe with this info I have something to direct them to?

MPG wise I think my Civic is pretty good. I drove it through the Scottish borders the other week and got 51.2 mpg average (no lie). But mixed driving over a whole tank returns 37-40 mpg. Around town the stated MPG figures are a sack of crap. It totally depends on how long you are sitting still, sitting still kills MPG.
What you getting around town, is yours a petrol?

The auto window problem sounds to me like a reset thing. Have you recently changed the battery?
Suspension noises could be the top mounts. I would say since you still have a guarantee go with your list to the dealer and sort them out. Strange that you didn't pick most of these faults before buying thw car.
Ah and the indicators is not a problem but a feature. Allows to change lanes as the indicators are blinking for a short period and then turn off.
I haven't reset the battery, no, but dont seem to have done it again, hope its a one off. I have set the trip to auto reset when I fill up with petrol, so maybe that reset it? When I drove the car I was on long straight roads, no bumps, turns. I didn't know the area very well either. The indicator thing, you say it should turn off by itself?

Thanks for all your replies so far, very helpful.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not sure what a key thobb is but your key fob now has a 7 year old battery in it and batteries don't like getting cold when they're on their last legs. Suggest a simple battery change will solve that problem.

Dashboard squeaks and rattles - yep.
Welcome to 8G ownership.

Everything else - not experienced them on my 2007. Why not take it back to the supplying dealer and have a moan. They might look at some of the problems asa good will gesture.

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
Ive got a 2010 type-s and have none of your issues, admittedly mine has only covered 15K, but my sister had a civic before me a five door se it was an 06 plate on 141k and the only issue she ever had was a slipping clutch so i think its a little unfair to tar all hondas with the "crap build quality label" we all know they are not built like a Golf but then we aint paying golf money for em.
By the sounds of it you bought a duffer from honda or not, the search button will be your friend to a lot of your issues, as at least some have been covered before, but as been quote above if your not happy with it id be taking it straight back i wouldnt waste my own time and energy investigating and trying to sold issues when you have recently purchased the car.
Personally id be on the phone banging the war drum.

Wardy

·
Premium Member
545 Posts

Suspension creek:

No such issues here with my 06 but could simply be a dry wishbone bush - have you tried some spray grease on them?

Dash Vibration:

No such issues here but sounds like a clip or screw is loose somewhere causing it to vibrate - have you checked or asked the dealer to investigate?

No such issues here but could be a failing wheel bearing - it is 7 years old - have you had it checked?

No such issues here but could be a failing relay which needs replacement - they are generally easy to change on most cars - have you changed it?

Cold Start squeal noise:

No such issues here - but could be an auxillary drive / alternator belt slipping due to overnight condensation - have you checked the belt tension?

Click on the Clutch

No such issue here but do a search - the bushes on the pedal spring can split leading to a click - hgey need greasing up and / or replacement / repositioning. I think this is a known issue with a dealer recall / fix.

Wiper making a odd noise

No such issue here but likely to be the wiper spindle at the base of the arm where it goes through the bearing (had it on a previous car). Try greasing the spindle up (sometimes even a spray of WD40 or spray grease in the right place will sort it but it may need removal of the wiper arm but that should just be a nut to undo)

No such issue here but apprently the female thread on the handle can break off over time and due to use - I believe others may have sorted this by usng some silicon sealant to stick the handle back in place?

No such issues here but if the battery has been disconnected (as dealers sometime do or if they are starting to fail) then this can happen. The one-touch wndow operation can be reset though - do a search.

That's a feature to help prevent screen scratches resulting from wipers operating without washer fluid - its so you can stop the process before the wipers start if you have run out of screen wash.

Probably an old battery in the fobs - have you replaced it (should be done every couple of years from memory).

That's a feature - it's called one-touch indicators and most cars these days have it. They flash three times with a short operation of the lever - have you read the manual?

MPG poor
I have a diesel so can't comment on your mileage but it's not uncommon for the figures to be up to 50% out - it all depends on your route / driving style and congestion etc., none of which will match that used for the official figures.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
There's a suspension creak from the rear when cold, apparently the dealer will fix this with a squirt of grease.

The Dash, the infamous hash dash - the build quality of the Civic isn't the best, with various, squeaks, rattles, taps, humming, vibrations coming from all areas of the interior, I have a lovely buzzing sound coming from my what appears to be the tweeter, but only on occasions, there are various reports of such faults regarding the dash, if yours is really that bad, I'd take a trip to the dealer to get them to diagnose. Probably not clipped in fully, loose clips etc.

Click on clutch - I noticed mine does this, have also read somewhere that it clicks at the very bottom of pressing the clutch down is due to the cruise control, something or other.
It hasn't really bothered me much to be fair.

Key fobb - change the battery, cheapest and quickest way to diagnose this one.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Sell and buy a golf. Much better built with those nice soft interiors. Also the golf gets great mpg and are as refined as a lexus according to auto express.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know where your coming from. This is my first Honda and I don't feel they are as solidly built as they say they are but maybe the 8G isn't one of there best. It's a shame as if they sorted out the problems and the handling they would have a world beater on there hands. Avoid the rattles, just turn the stereo up as most cars creak at times. The MPG is normal as no car lives up to its claims. I still think the car feel and looks great though so I can forgive it's problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts