2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shaintaylor.
From speaking to my local honda dealer there is a common problem with 16MY 1.6 I-DTEC engines. the cam shafts wear and have excessive end float causing a rumble noise on start up and low RPM's.
My vehicle has a diesel combustion knock when puling away and under load, its noisy when starting too and it stutters and surges when trying to pull away from junctions. it has slowly progressed and got worse it sounds like a little end knock.
Its done 84000 miles, i use the car 5 days a week for work, 3 miles on country roads then on to a motorway for 18 miles, same again on the way home, 42 miles a day round trip, always use BP diesel too.
Shaintaylor - Did you get to the bottom of the low RPM / pull-away rumble while cold?

I've not been able to find any other material/comments/advice relating to worn camshafts, but mine is a MY16 1.6 diesel, just over 50k on the clock

Mine has just developed the same (by the sounds of it) and I would appreciate any experience you both had because the "drive-away" from the used car dealer I bought mine from expires in a week and I want to be able to direct the Honda garage to diagnose as fast as possible to ensure my warranty claim can be upheld if necessary!

Thanks in advance for any insights!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry that it's not going to answer your question, but what kind of noise/symptoms did you experience? Mine makes quite a racket sometimes on startup but goes when I rev it and also in the heat the car stutters a bit under light acceleration

sorry all, meant to quote the above when I asked:

Shaintaylor - Did you get to the bottom of the low RPM / pull-away rumble while cold?

I've not been able to find any other material/comments/advice relating to worn camshafts, but mine is a MY16 1.6 diesel, just over 50k on the clock

Mine has just developed the same (by the sounds of it) and I would appreciate any experience you both had because the "drive-away" from the used car dealer I bought mine from expires in a week and I want to be able to direct the Honda garage to diagnose as fast as possible to ensure my warranty claim can be upheld if necessary!

Thanks in advance for any insights!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi,

I the only rumble I get when pulling away at cold is clutch judder.... My issue is the engine making a rough noise for nearly a minute at all startups that have been stopped for a while regardless of temperature. My other issue is during warm weather - 18'c+ until the engine has completely warmed up, the engine will sort of 'loose some power' and make a nasty knocking like noise at 1600 ish revs at light throttle..

Sorry I can't help much, but diesels usually knock a bit more from pull off if you don't give it any revs? Could you record it?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts