2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a civic 2.2 cdti 2008 that most of the time won’t charge, the voltage is often under 12v and eventually it runs out of battery and dies. The alternator have been changed and it started charging a little bit then ran out of battery after a few days and after that the battery was replaced and same thing lasted a few days and the ran out again. Have replaced the eld sensor inside the fuse holder but didn’t help either. The alternator was a used one but don’t think both could be defect. Before the alternator was changed the battery warning message appeared but that went out after the alternator was replaced. Does anyone have any tips for troubleshooting?

·
i-Vtec
4,122 Posts
Have you tested the alternator with the engine running, on load. A simple electrical tester will give you a reading of the output. Remember to do it with lights and heater motor running.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Check the earth between engine and car body and also from battery to car body. Poor connections will stop the battery charging properly.

Try running a temporary additional cable from engine block to battery -ve and see if battery voltage increases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the earth and used a jumper cable but no change, and now the battery warning light is on so I ordered a new alternator as I suspect that the used one also was broken or broke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts