2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am thinking about buying a 06 era Civic EX with as many extras as possible and the 2.2 CDTi engine, but economy is extremely important to me so I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I drive 30,000 miles a year, about 100 miles a day during the week plus anything at the weekends, so I spend quite a lot on fuel and this also means my cars rack up miles pretty quickly.

Journey wise it's the same road everyday consisting of about 60% A roads between 50 and 60mph, 30% dual carriage ways at 70mph and then 10% town driving, moving traffic about 30mph.

I currently drive a Peugeot 207 1.4 HDi and although not very exciting, tax is just £30 a year and I can get about 62mpg from it, meaning from it's 50 litre tank about 700 miles. I filled up yesterday after a week's driving of 475 miles, 35 litres which cost me about £50 which is about average and I think acceptable.

Now I know the larger engine in the Civic is going to be a bit more thirsty, and I don't mind spending a little more each week in order to get the toys and comfort my 207 doesn't have, but can anyone give me a general idea of how much more I might be spending a week?

Thanks!

·
Twisted by the Dark side
1,278 Posts
I get around 59mpg on A roads doing 50-60mph. around 49mpg on motorways at 70mph. Overall average about 47mpg over the last 3K miles. but I rarely drive at 70mph on the motorway so this brings the average down.
Difference with the pug is the civic will have more guts so will most likely use less fuel when a heavy foot is required.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Over the last 25K I averaged 42mpg. My roads are mostly A roads / motorway. I do put my foot down a bit though. If I put the car back to standard it gets 3-4 mpg less.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far!

It is looking as though the 2.2CDTi isn't quite as economical as I had hoped... I already spend £200-£300 on fuel a month, didn't want to spend too much more than that. I have seen threads here about 60mpg+ but most seem to be a lot lower.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
46mpg i have averaged this month doing 1200 miles.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

·
Twisted by the Dark side
1,278 Posts
The civic gives you the best of both worlds, performance with high end 40 mpg. That is what I like. I can give it the beans went I feel like it and still get good return on a tank
Its a lot of car so 60mpg is dreaming. Sounds like you need to stick with a small eco diesel.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm Maybe you're right. My thinking was a larger engine would be able to cope with higher speeds better - My 1.4 HDi sits at 2,500rpm at 70mph, so I thought a 2.2 CDTi would be able to cruise along.

If only the 1.6 iDTEC came out sooner! 74mpg yes please!

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Its also relevant when stating fuel economy at certain speeds to refer to whether or not its speedo speed or gps speed. We all know how inaccurate the speedo is. Also worth noting that the CTDI is very inefficient when cold and takes a long while to heat up. Short journey driving , ie 7 miles in the morn and 7 miles in the eve gives mid 30s mpg. On tank to tank fill ups on a very mixed cycle of driving I average 44mpg an on a long motorway journey ie a tank full I can get 52 mpg with cruise set at 73mph giving around 69mph gps speed. The CTDI is very versatile can be driven like a granny to give 50-60mpg, or ragged at speed giving high 30s mpg and alot of fun.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its also relevant when stating fuel economy at certain speeds to refer to whether or not its speedo speed or gps speed. We all know how inaccurate the speedo is. Also worth noting that the CTDI is very inefficient when cold and takes a long while to heat up. Short journey driving , ie 7 miles in the morn and 7 miles in the eve gives mid 30s mpg. On tank to tank fill ups on a very mixed cycle of driving I average 44mpg an on a long motorway journey ie a tank full I can get 52 mpg with cruise set at 73mph giving around 69mph gps speed. The CTDI is very versatile can be driven like a granny to give 50-60mpg, or ragged at speed giving high 30s mpg and alot of fun.
Thanks for your reply!

I guess I am just worried since the Civic would be the biggest engine I have ever had. I rarely see below 60mpg with my 207 and although I stick to the speed limits I get to the speed limits pretty quickly (or so it feel like in a 1.4!). I have a GPS speedometer as well and my Peugeot speedo only seems to be out by 2mph, so I am almost always bang on 60 or 70mph.

I guess my journey is one of the most economical - 55mpg I could live with as that will probably only be an extra £10 a week.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Personally I doubt you'd regularly see 60mpg, be careful if you test drive one of these cars as all sense of whats important may well get thrown out of the window. When I was looking for a car to replace my 306 d turbo the civic was not even on the list till I drove past a Honda dealer. The rest as they say is history. The ctdi is a peach of an engine but beware of weak clutches as the OEM clutch from that era of diesel Civic is complete carp and is not a cheap repair, if I were you I'd budget in 1K unless you know the car is at least fitted with the latest edition of clutch with part no ending 325.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally I doubt you'd regularly see 60mpg, be careful if you test drive one of these cars as all sense of whats important may well get thrown out of the window. When I was looking for a car to replace my 306 d turbo the civic was not even on the list till I drove past a Honda dealer. The rest as they say is history. The ctdi is a peach of an engine but beware of weak clutches as the OEM clutch from that era of diesel Civic is complete carp and is not a cheap repair, if I were you I'd budget in 1K unless you know the car is at least fitted with the latest edition of clutch with part no ending 325.
I wasn't looking to change my car exactly until my Dad came home with a 1.8 EX which I was really impressed with!

£1,000 for a clutch?! Really?! I have only ever had to replace one clutch on my Clio and I thought that was steep at £500 odd! Why so expensive for the latest clutch, does that include Honda labor?

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
The car is fitted with a dual mass flywheel which in my opinion is prudently replaced when replacing the clutch. The cost of the flywheel is around £400 iirc. If you do not replace it and it fails, the labour element of replacing it is the same as the labour for replacing the clutch. If the clutch alone is replaced honda charge around £650.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see, thank you.

When does the clutch tend to fail? With my budget I will be looking at models around 50,000 - 60,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
I see, thank you.

When does the clutch tend to fail? With my budget I will be looking at models around 50,000 - 60,000 miles.

Original lasted 18K and the Honda replacement a further 20K.

Then replaced with Kevlar one, which is still going at 74K.

Basically, the Honda oem are crap!

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Clutches have failed on cars with as few as high teen miles I believe. My previous CTDI started slipping at 33K and I traded it still slipping at 53k for another civic. The slip was only intermittent and was certainly worse in cold weather. I never managed to get it to slip in the summer despite really ragging the car and towing very heavy trailers across the Scottish highlands. But best if your buying one of these cars to budget for a clutch just in case.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I get 39mpg on 10 minute commute.

Wife gets about 50mpg if she's lucky on a 50 mile commute on motorways.

I simply don't beleive anyoneis getting anywhere close to 60mpg.

As for the clutch, it WILL start slipping. Mine has started slipping and will be going on to it's 3rd clutch... It has only done 74k and one previous female owner with full service history.

I've said it before and will say it every time I see someone thinking about a 2.2 cdti - I love mine but would not recommend it to others.

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
I drive 2,500 to 3,000 per month, mainly motorway at 70 with cruise and some "spirited" country roads. Covered nearly 30,000 in about 16 months.
I get just over 500 miles on a tank, and return close to 50mpg, spending approx £260 to £300 every month, find the mix of economy and power ideal, I have a type s gt

Never had an issue with clutch, I am on 52,000 miles and still on original

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I drive 2,500 to 3,000 per month, mainly motorway at 70 with cruise and some "spirited" country roads. Covered nearly 30,000 in about 16 months.
I get just over 500 miles on a tank, and return close to 50mpg, spending approx £260 to £300 every month, find the mix of economy and power ideal, I have a type s gt

Never had an issue with clutch, I am on 52,000 miles and still on original
That is exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you. But it just seems that every Civic seems to be different in terms of efficiency - I guess this is to do with everyone's unique driving styles which I find quite interesting.

I have been doing some more reading around the forums and see some people have mentioned mods which increase efficiency. Are these worth trying or will they only upset my Insurance Company?

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Realistic MPG for me is 48mpg, but I don't hang around in my 2.2. I gave up driving it like miss daisy for a few MPG more.

Reactions: DervBurner

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
That is exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you. But it just seems that every Civic seems to be different in terms of efficiency - I guess this is to do with everyone's unique driving styles which I find quite interesting.

I have been doing some more reading around the forums and see some people have mentioned mods which increase efficiency. Are these worth trying or will they only upset my Insurance Company?

I assume you mean a re-map?

Yes a remap generally increases mpg. I've remapped 3 diesels (civic and 2 VWs) and all show an increase in mpg (approx 3-4 mpg). However, a remap will put more strain on the clutch / DMF!

Insurance wise, it's best to declare it - cost me £12 extra, but the cost does vary significantly.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts