2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
New to this forum but wanted to run something by you all ive just changed the timing chain guides etc after an oil pump chain failure on 2007 honda civic 2.2 all back together now starts and ticks over fine but when i even touch the accelerator get plumes of white ish smoke from exhaust im thinking timing my be out any pointers ? before i start ripping it all apart again
Car ran fine before failure

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I guess the question is the engine an interference engine or a non interference engine. If the chain snapped or it jumped teeth and its an interference engine, then a new head out of a breaker would be an easy fix if the valves are bent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the question is the engine an interference engine or a non interference engine. If the chain snapped or it jumped teeth and its an interference engine, then a new head out of a breaker would be an easy fix if the valves are bent.
wasnt the timing chain that broke was the oil pump drive chain starts and ticks over fine just a touch on throttle and its like a steam train leaning towards the timing is a tooth out or something causing it to fuel at the wrong time

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
I replaced both my 2.2 i-CDTi chains about 5 years ago and I remember that it was pretty easy to get the timing right on both chains (stamped sprocket dots as well as coloured links). In my opinion it's far more likely that an injector has been damaged... Did you have to undo any injector bodies to fit a puller? If so, then I'd bet money that you lost at least one internal ball bearing.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
Oh yes, a diesel would run with the valve timing a bit out.

Did you actually undo the injector bodies?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No i didnt i removed sump and timing chain cover turned engine over so cams were at TDC using a borscope to check removed tensioners slipped chain off and refitted. stripped down today as before wound engine over so camshaft at TDC chain is 1 tooth out at the top but is also 1 tooth out on crank (same way) so in theory timing should be ok however the tdc timing marks dont line up on crank shaft.
To be honest im at a loss maybe a stupid question but but setting TDC on the crank is a simple matter of lining up mark on engine with mark on sprocket ????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had a breakthrough been going through pics etc id took and noticed top cam is 2 teeth out and not the one id originally thought so just a matter of refitting chain in correct position and lining up crank should be ok will update when ive got it back together
Just to let anyone know ive managed to do this without removing the injectors or camshaft cover bit of a fiddle but saves possibly damaging injectors

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right I’ve redone the timing was 1 tooth out but still got excess smoke when touching accelerator would oil pump timing give smoke

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
By "an oil pump chain failure", do you mean that the chain broke, with the car possibly being driven?
If the running engine, for this reason, was starved from adequate lubricating oil supply, some damage might have happened to the piston rings.
I think you should try doing a compression test, next. You should be able to attach it to the glow plugs' attachment to avoid touching the injectors for the time being. Also, proper checking of the oil pressure would be good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By "an oil pump chain failure", do you mean that the chain broke, with the car possibly being driven?
If the running engine, for this reason, was starved from adequate lubricating oil supply, some damage might have happened to the piston rings.
I think you should try doing a compression test, next. You should be able to attach it to the glow plugs' attachment to avoid touching the injectors for the time being. Also, proper checking of the oil pressure would be good.
Will be doing a compression test when time allows car starts and ticks over fine No smoke soon as accelerator touched get smoke seconds later also ive tested oil pressure with manual gauge and its fine

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
what does the white smoke smell like ?
oil ?
diesel ?
sewage farm ? ( no seriously )

i know a blown turbo can give off plumes of white smoke
might be worth checking

damaged piston skirts smell like a sewage farm mixed with oil with lots of white smoke
damaged or seized rings smell of oil but not a lot of white smoke
failed head gasket can give white smoke if coolant is getting into the bores

either way it's not going to be good news

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its a weird one not smoking on tick over just as soon as touch accelerator seconds later get smoke get worse as engine warms up as in not much smoke when first started

1 - 17 of 17 Posts