2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,459 Posts
Yes, Make absolutely certain that it is the turbo before changing it willy nilly based on the 'wisdom of the web'. It will be a very expensive mistake to make if it isn't the turbo after all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Also I forgot to mention this earlier but after I’d rebuilt it the first time I’d forgot to put the turbo intercooler pipe back on the one that goes under the oil sump and when I initially started engine got lots of smoke out of it for a second or 2 then it cleared but I put that down to the timing being out

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
quick check to do is take the pipe from turbo to intercooler off the intercooler clean the pipe out with a rag as best you can then hold a white rag a few inches front of the pipe ( not your hand or other body parts ) get somebody to start the car and rev it a couple of times
if the rag gets splattered with oil there's a good chance the turbos buggered

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Right compression test done ok but I have noticed oil at the exhaust tips got it booked in garage on Monday looking like turbo seals gone

·
Registered
71 Posts
Right compression test done ok but I have noticed oil at the exhaust tips got it booked in garage on Monday looking like turbo seals gone
Did it white smoke before the oil chain snapped? If not then it probably isn't the turbo seals, they wouldn't just magically fail overnight after the oil chain snapped.
If you've done the chain yourself, then you must know a thing or two about cars, so whip your intercooler pipe off and see if it's full of oil.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Been confirmed as blown turbo by independent garage
If you have over 100K mileage and it's a early 2007-2010 model, I'd have the mechanic check the exhaust manifold if it's split. A common problem around 100K on the earlier models for the manifold to split.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts