2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The whole thing just seems a bit off - I would walk away and wait for a better deal.

I can guarantee you that reasons will be provided for the brakes and also why there has been a recent change of owner - they might be valid, or they might be a lie to alleviate your concerns. Either way, the risk of the car becoming a money pit is high. If you're really set on buying this car - please consider taking someone else with you when finalising the sale / having a look at it. Preferably someone who has seasoned experience of buying a used car from an alleged private seller :)
this is why i messaged on here, i don’t have much family and i don’t know anyone i could take to help me really, so my last resort was to talk to you guys to see if it would become a money pit… i really don’t mind replacing flywheel at £400 like my quote said, and brakes further down the line wouldn’t be the end of the world… as it is pretty cheap and you know i’m impatient haha. thanks for the help though, youre right it does seem like it definitely could become a money pit… i’m in two minds now because part of me really wants this car but another part doesn’t want it to fail MOT in september

·
Registered
15 Posts
and I think that's the main thing, as long as you feel that you're sufficiently informed - it's ultimately your decision on whether or not to take the risk :) happy that we can help - we're always here

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
ABS light would need resolving before MOT in Sept - otherwise it WILL fail - could be just a sensor or could be much worse... for definite the owner is not telling the truth if he claims it came on after a pad/disc change - I would suspect more likely is that he has attempted to fix it and failed...
Not sure I have heard here of any issues with flywheel on a petrol & can't think of any reason it would make any noise - so I'm completely unconvinced about this... but something IS making that noise which means it needs fixing & frankly could be anything from a brake backplate to major engine/gearbox trouble

You pays your money and make your choice but I'd definitely walk away based on what you have told us :(

Where abouts are you? maybe a member here is local and could take a look for you?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Personally I'd wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, it will fail the mot as stated above, and the noise could be bearings in the gearbox itself. I'd keep looking and not rush into something that could cost you a lot of money in repairs. The money you might have to spend on repairs you may be able to get a clean one with no issues. Definitely do a HPI check on it before going to see it if your adamant on buying this car, these can be done for a couple of quid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
ABS light would need resolving before MOT in Sept - otherwise it WILL fail - could be just a sensor or could be much worse... for definite the owner is not telling the truth if he claims it came on after a pad/disc change - I would suspect more likely is that he has attempted to fix it and failed...
Not sure I have heard here of any issues with flywheel on a petrol & can't think of any reason it would make any noise - so I'm completely unconvinced about this... but something IS making that noise which means it needs fixing & frankly could be anything from a brake backplate to major engine/gearbox trouble

You pays your money and make your choice but I'd definitely walk away based on what you have told us :(

Where abouts are you? maybe a member here is local and could take a look for you?
i live in crewe, seller offered to bring the car here for a viewing tommorow, any help like that would be wonderful

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Personally I'd wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, it will fail the mot as stated above, and the noise could be bearings in the gearbox itself. I'd keep looking and not rush into something that could cost you a lot of money in repairs. The money you might have to spend on repairs you may be able to get a clean one with no issues. Definitely do a HPI check on it before going to see it if your adamant on buying this car, these can be done for a couple of quid.
car is £890 i have £1017 so im pushing my budget to the max, i have a lot of money coming in september which is why i wouldnt mind fixing flywheel later on, even replacing brakes if the light is genuine wouldnt be a disaster

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
The noise could be anything, the ABS light will NOT be fixed by replacing brakes - at minimum it is a sensor but could potentially be far worse. With no idea what the actual problems are and what they will cost to fix I'd walk away swiftly - but then I think we have all been saying the same thing and are now going round in circles...

Why not wait till September when you have more to spend and get something without issues? £127 left after purchase will not go far on that car by the sounds of it - I presume you also have cash to tax and insure it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The noise could be anything, the ABS light will NOT be fixed by replacing brakes - at minimum it is a sensor but could potentially be far worse. With no idea what the actual problems are and what they will cost to fix I'd walk away swiftly - but then I think we have all been saying the same thing and are now going round in circles...

Why not wait till September when you have more to spend and get something without issues? £127 left after purchase will not go far on that car by the sounds of it - I presume you also have cash to tax and insure it?
not gonna need to insure for another month and then ill have money, they sent me the video of the noise today, want me to send it here to see if you can tell me anything?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Put the video on here mate, we can have a listen, noise when clutch is in could be an IMS (intermediate shaft bearing) or a clutch release bearing, I forget which way around the noise goes away with those, I think clutch in no noise is the release bearing.

If it's an IMS that's an expensive job, probably about the £400 you have aside for the flywheel, both would need the gearbox off to fix

I would definitely keep in mind that the ABS could be anything, that light isn't caused by the calipers, discs, or pads. It could be a sensor, but it could be something much worse. I expect the seller knows these jobs are going to cost more than the car is for sale for, and is getting rid due to that. Probably bought it to sell it expecting a cheap fix, or bought for themselves and now knows it's an expensive fix

Keep an eye online for others that come up, sometimes it's worth saving a little bit longer to save in the long run and buy a better example to begin with

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Put the video on here mate, we can have a listen, noise when clutch is in could be an IMS (intermediate shaft bearing) or a clutch release bearing, I forget which way around the noise goes away with those, I think clutch in no noise is the release bearing.

If it's an IMS that's an expensive job, probably about the £400 you have aside for the flywheel, both would need the gearbox off to fix

I would definitely keep in mind that the ABS could be anything, that light isn't caused by the calipers, discs, or pads. It could be a sensor, but it could be something much worse. I expect the seller knows these jobs are going to cost more than the car is for sale for, and is getting rid due to that. Probably bought it to sell it expecting a cheap fix, or bought for themselves and now knows it's an expensive fix

Keep an eye online for others that come up, sometimes it's worth saving a little bit longer to save in the long run and buy a better example to begin with
Ill post it yeah, im online every day checking places for new ones haha, i wouldnt mind spending up to £500 on repairs in sept

file was not uploading here so had to use a sharing website, he says noise goes away when clutch goes in but what do i know

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ill post it yeah, im online every day checking places for new ones haha, i wouldnt mind spending up to £500 on repairs in sept

file was not uploading here so had to use a sharing website, he says noise goes away when clutch goes in but what do i know
car also has VSA light on, unsure if thats related to ABS

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT #R22063
334 Posts
just agreed £950 for a different 2007 1.4 civic anyways, guess im in the owners club!, thanks for everyones help, saved me from buying that shitbox and ended up with a better deal. love you guys
The 1.4 won't go like the 1.8 does, but my partner has a 1.4 Type S and let me tell you, she pilots it round bends like it's a Type R. It's done a track day, most of our weekends away to all corners of the country and took us to Le Mans for the 24Hr race. It takes a bit of revving, but treat it well and it'll last forever.

Welcome to the fun house!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The 1.4 won't go like the 1.8 does, but my partner has a 1.4 Type S and let me tell you, she pilots it round bends like it's a Type R. It's done a track day, most of our weekends away to all corners of the country and took us to Le Mans for the 24Hr race. It takes a bit of revving, but treat it well and it'll last forever.

Welcome to the fun house!
i live out in the country so there are many B roads i can take this thing out on and throw it into the bends don’t worry haha. she does have 170k miles on her but as it’s a honda it should be fine, for £900 with 12 months MOT it’s a good deal i think

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT #R22063
334 Posts
i live out in the country so there are many B roads i can take this thing out on and throw it into the bends don’t worry haha. she does have 170k miles on her but as it’s a honda it should be fine, for £900 with 12 months MOT it’s a good deal i think
Sounds good mate, next job is getting yourself a new thread on here with some photos!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts