2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no fan of perspex, but that 5dr facelift...[smilie=dunceblock.:The only hope is that the grille (and rear undertray) in the pics are for the new 1.4 iVTEC not the 1.8 - the holes ensure a similar cooling pattern to the new Jazz.

The press release mentions NVH measures across the range: any ideas what? And what's happening to the engines, apart from the gearing of the diesel?

The 1.8 needs to be type approved to Euro 5 emissions by September 2009 and others are already doing so - means less taxes for some of us... Otherwise, looks like a well discounted 2008 Civic would be a wise choice.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I don't think there's anything specific for the 09 car, but the factory do constant development and changes so the NVH should have gradually got better over the last 3 years.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
And the answer is ...

I don't think there's anything specific for the 09 car, but the factory do constant development and changes so the NVH should have gradually got better over the last 3 years.

Leather Seats ! ... after I had my Civic retrofitted (several weeks ago) I noticed a significant reduction in cabin noise ... 'as-before' with windows open, but a deal quieter with windows shut ...

Therefore, the change from standard 'micro-thin' fabric to something more substantial seemed to do the trick ...

Which leads me to wonder if the 'face-lift' internal fabric will also give improved internal acoustic dampening ? ... anyone with thoughts ? ...

p.s. - this is only for the "N" part of the "NVH" ! ...

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
JDR - it's quite possible, but I suspect the original covering has gone because in a family car the old material is good at holding and keeping smaller deposits from younger family members.

All will be revealed when the first cars are available to drive.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I wonder if the 'H' in this case would be applicable to the 'H'arsh ride? Something could certainly be done to improve this.
Yep - it's not good is it!

The hard ride is a function of the basic rear suspension setup. If the car was too supple the wheels would move too much, and given that they move in a less-than-optimum fashion, the suspension has to be stiff (to limit the movement).

If the car had IRS (like the Focus and Golf), it would be unbeatable.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Well ...

I wonder if the 'H' in this case would be applicable to the 'H'arsh ride? Something could certainly be done to improve this.
I'm NO expert on suspension technology - but - a goodly few years ago, I remember many people "improving their ride" by fitting (more expensive) aftermarket shock-absorbers ...

As I recall it, these were the "gas-filled \ progressive" type (or some other similar 'techno-mumbo' description !) ...

Whatever, they were said to significantly improve 'simple' suspension systems (like torsion-beam) ...

However, I see no mention of any suspension changes for the 2009 model whatsoever (as Pottsy has also mentioned) ...

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Good dampers might improve the ride subtly, though it will always remain hard because that's a function of the springs.

You could fit softer springs, but then you are in a world of the unknown (with undesirable handling) because you can bet your bottom dollar that the Civ is hard because it has to be, not because they want it that way.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If the car had IRS (like the Focus and Golf), it would be unbeatable.
Agree with that. Its one major area where Honda took a giant step backwards. The EP3 Civic had much better ride quality IMO.

·
><((('> o O
253 Posts
I think you've all got the wrong idea.
The suspension is hard, but that's a good thing!
The rear suspension being a beam rather than independant is also good, makes the car handle more like a go cart.

Anyway, the car's fine, you're just driving it wrong, try throwing it round some corners (sensibly of course) and you'll realise why the suspension is as it is!

·
Registered
55 Posts
The best Hot Hatch ever (fun to drive) had exactly the same layout as the FN2 and it had similar power to weight ratio and did without the LSD. The trim used to rattle too :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts