2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shamefully did this to my Civic and the lamp post won by a large margin! Nobody hurt thankfully.

What are my hopes of the car ever being the same again? A local body shop that a Honda dealership use will be doing the repairs via my insurance company.

The drivers door doesn't meet anymore at the top as closely and the tracking is out as the front wheel had a scrape!

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Oh dear, that looks a right mess but it seems to just be panel damage and all of your lights survived. The drivers door sounds like it's been twisted so may well be replaced as a whole unit, rather than re-skinning.

Good luck getting it sorted and keep your eyes peeled for lamp posts!

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Any reason why I can't see it on my laptop.. lemme try my phone!
Sounds a right ole mess

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a right ole mess! I'm parking it 'good side out' whenever possible as it's embarrassingly trashed!

Has anyone had any experience of what to expect from repairs on this kind of damage?

I've heard things from, "You'll never tell" to "it'll never be the same again".

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I've heard things from, "You'll never tell" to "it'll never be the same again".
The first one. It's only surface damage that a couple of new panels and perhaps a new door will put right.:grin2:
However psychologically it may be the last one.:frown2: but hopefully not.0:)

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
The first one. It's only surface damage that a couple of new panels and perhaps a new door will put right.:grin2:
However psychologically it may be the last one.:frown2: but hopefully not.0:)
Fully agree with this - I managed to reverse into another car many years ago and was worried it would never be the same again. 10 years later it still looks like new and I've never given it a second thought.

Bodyshops know what they are doing and you'll be amazed when you get it back :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pure idiocy! Quiet supermarket car park, pouring rain at night, lamp post in particular wasn't switched on. THWACK!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pure idiocy! Quiet supermarket car park, pouring rain at night, lamp post in particular wasn't switched on. THWACK!
Ouch.... I've seen it happen in our local retail park when the boy racers were meeting and cutting across the spaces clipping bollards/posts.

Feel for you.
I was (and still am) gutted after kerbing mine in week one of owning. Thought it was a write off.:laugh2:

Any word from a repairer-insurance? as to outcome?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The supermarket might be liable then, I was in car park before and pulling into a badly lit car park space and then bang, tried to get out to see what I hit and drivers door wouldn't open, got out passenger door and found a bollard was bent over at about 70deg towards the space I was pulling into from someone else hitting it previously from the opposite side.

It had hit the rim of my wing and pushed it in behind the drivers door causing allot of damage.

I took a photo of the bollard and tracked down car park owner and explained situation, after some relectuance he rightfully paid for the damage. There was rust on the bottom of the crack on bollard showing it was bent like this for a long time, and combined with most street lights broken I felt aggrieved that my car had suffered damage when I done nothing wrong pulling into a marked space.

Maybe you're in same situation of not been at fault, or were you driving across marked spaces rather than the correct car park route?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Any word from a repairer-insurance? as to outcome?
I've claimed on my own policy as an 'at fault'. I didn't even contemplate getting body shop quotes to pay for myself as I know they would be £thousands!

It's going in this Thursday for repairs. I just hope that it can be restored to identical condition before the damage. If it can't be, I think I will be getting rid of it far sooner than I originally planned (I bought it outright you see). It would bug me if it wasn't quite right.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The supermarket might be liable then, I was in car park before and pulling into a badly lit car park space and then bang, tried to get out to see what I hit and drivers door wouldn't open, got out passenger door and found a bollard was bent over at about 70deg towards the space I was pulling into from someone else hitting it previously from the opposite side.

It had hit the rim of my wing and pushed it in behind the drivers door causing allot of damage.

I took a photo of the bollard and tracked down car park owner and explained situation, after some relectuance he rightfully paid for the damage. There was rust on the bottom of the crack on bollard showing it was bent like this for a long time, and combined with most street lights broken I felt aggrieved that my car had suffered damage when I done nothing wrong pulling into a marked space.

Maybe you're in same situation of not been at fault, or were you driving across marked spaces rather than the correct car park route?
I would like to think that this may help move the liability of the damage to a third party - but you know what I just didn't check the area enough.

It was dark and throwing it down with rain and I didn't check my surroundings enough. I just want my car back to normal asap - it's embarrassing having to drive it around knowing I did that!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How long should a body shop take to do this repair?

It's now nearly three weeks since they took the car in and their estimated time of completion keeps changing because they need to order additional parts! Obviously I'd rather they do it correctly, but not sure how long one should expect to wait.

The only info I had was that a small adjustment had to be made to the geometry, no mechanical faults were found and parts needed ordering to continue/complete the repair.

Even with the rattles, it's far better than a Vauxhall Corsa courtesy car!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
At the body shop i go to, a car with damage like that would be returned within a week and a half tops. Recently sent a 3 series in which had reversed into underground car park pillar (damage to rear lights, bumper and boot) all fixed within 2 days of dropping off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's nearly a month now. The repair was delayed again due to quality control issues with the paint. This then took 5 days to resolve and I was advised yesterday it's now in 'fitment' so all the parts are being put back and all being well I should have it back in a couple of days.

I'm beginning to wonder how competent they are...

·
i-Vtec
1,497 Posts
It's nearly a month now. The repair was delayed again due to quality control issues with the paint. This then took 5 days to resolve and I was advised yesterday it's now in 'fitment' so all the parts are being put back and all being well I should have it back in a couple of days.

I'm beginning to wonder how competent they are...

Personally id rather it was done right, rather than take it back. I have had very little experience with body shops, but once I had a car in one(colleague reversed into mine) and when it came out I had a list of ten things that were wrong with it, including it being completely covered in overspray. The resulting work was so bad I contacted the insurance company and made sure they put a stop on the payment. Mine had to go back in for a week for rectification work, and on the Friday afternoon I went to pick it up the Over spray still had not been removed. At least a fault with yours has been noticed at source.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I had a similar issue. A lorry hit my parked car, the insurance wrote it off & offered me £700, I refused & told them I wanted it repaired. They got it repaired at what should have been a decent repairer but when I got it back there was overspray on the headlights & there was a piece if interior trim broken. I told the repairer, they said the broken trim wasn't their fault as they needed to take it off to remove the broken mirror & it broke! I made them sort it all despite them bitching!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts