• No - The car could still be a ticking time bomb

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchased this civic with my partner 3 days ago (thursday) and has been a nightmare in all honesty.

It is a 5dr 1.8 EX which is an almost full CTR replica with 47k on the clock and some history.

Paid 2k for it with the view of fixing any issues it had which were the following:

1. Air Bag Light was on due to it having CTR seats installed
  2. ABS/VSA Light was on due to the CTR Brakes, disc & caliper install (Maybe faulty switch or not put together properly)
  3. Passenger CTR wheel arch needed
  4. Sat Nav disc or new gps transmitter needed
Now, it seemed pretty straight forward until the next day (friday) we noticed the radiator temp hit max an there was steam coming from the radiator.

We stopped the car, let it cool down and took it to a garage to get a quick fix or a temporary fix. Garage did a compression test which was actually ok but there was low coolant so he filled it back up to the max and then we commenced our journey from Manchester to Birmingham.

Coolant temp was completely fine the whole journey (stayed the night in manchester) and we went up to Derby to see family yesterday (saturday).

Now, on the way back it did the same again, only this time there was a weird tinging noise coming from the engine sounding like a spoon hitting a glass and my partner pulled up on the lay by on the A42.

Having inspected the engine/radiator I noticed there was a large amount of coolant coming from the bottom of the radiator... cracked? and then had to get the AA out to get us back home.

The AA said that the car would need to be checked properly as it could be head gasket failure but was very surprised to see it was a HONDA!

I took out the dip stick and it was melted and black and the car wont start due to it having a low battery now.

I AM ALSO IN TWO MINDS TO GET THE POLICE INVOLVED AS I NOTICED NO ERRORS ON THE SPEEDO AND UPON INSPECTION THEY HAVE BEEN BLACKED OUT WITH SPRAY PAINT INSIDE!!!!!!!

HAVE BEEN MIS-SOLD AND THE SELLER WAS FRAUDULENT MASKING THE LIGHTS

What would you guys suggest?

If it IS a head gasket, is it worth even repairing?

If it isnt worth repairing, I will either sell as complete for someone else to take on OR break it myself and get my partner another car

Thoughts?

Pics below:

20151108_142659.jpg
20151108_142710.jpg
20151108_142718.jpg
20151108_142730.jpg
20151108_142757.jpg

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
2k is very cheap even without the mods done. I reckon the owner knew there was something seriously wrong with it? If it's just the head gasket, I'd repair it. But get the car fully looked over mate

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2k is very cheap even without the mods done. I reckon the owner knew there was something seriously wrong with it? If it's just the head gasket, I'd repair it. But get the car fully looked over mate
I have the battery being charged at the moment and will see if it starts. I am hoping the engine isnt seized or that it has a warped head!

However, I began totalling up what id get for the parts and believe i'll make back at least 1500 from the CTR stuff alone............ wishful thinking maybe)

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Saying that, you could nearly recoup 2k with the bits and bobs on it if you wanted to cut your losses, rages should go for £500 if they're in good nick, ctr spoiler £100-150, splitters will sell etc

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right, as I found out he blacked out the error lights. Even though I had no problem repairing.

If it didnt have the CTR upgrades I wouldnt have purchased it for my partner.

I now have a CTR but she wanted something similar so the replica was perfect.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Good luck with it mate, might not be as bad as you think, and at least you've got a lot to sell if you end up breaking

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saying that, you could nearly recoup 2k with the bits and bobs on it if you wanted to cut your losses, rages should go for £500 if they're in good nick, ctr spoiler £100-150, splitters will sell etc
The rages seem in good condition... a little curbing but have new tyres on them.... I think they are budgets though! Heres some pics

They need a bit of cleaning up

20151108_142810.jpg
20151108_142805.jpg
20151108_142817.jpg
20151108_142824.jpg

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
If you come to sell them, Huddersfield Honda sell centre caps for £20, those caps look abit corroded, cheap and should help with the sale

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

Ive just had the battery connected to the car fully charged and the car is ticking over but wont start. I have noticed when I stopped trying to start it that something was leaking from the engine and it smelt just like fuel.

Is this headgasket and is it likely that the engine is damaged as its probably flooded with fuel now?

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I'm going to be completely honest , you have bought a dog, I would break it . 2k with 47k on the clock even without mods is very very low , I would not want to keep a car that is this bad I would not trust it . It's not my money but in this kind of situation you will only be throwing money at it , constantly rebuilding the car to a safe , reliable working state that it should have been in on purchase and you will never get this money back.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Not sure why the airbag lights would be on since CTR seats have airbags in them as well.

Fuel leaking could be from an injector. If you where loosing coolant from the radiator it would be hard to know if the head gasket is gone.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to be completely honest , you have bought a dog, I would break it . 2k with 47k on the clock even without mods is very very low , I would not want to keep a car that is this bad I would not trust it . It's not my money but in this kind of situation you will only be throwing money at it , constantly rebuilding the car to a safe , reliable working state that it should have been in on purchase and you will never get this money back.
Thats exactly how I feel right now... I think I will make back the money spent on it so I guess its time to get everyone on the breaking train as I'll look to break it now.

I am viewing another car tomorrow which is just a type s with similar mileage but for 3k so I think its probably best to break it - Will open an 'Items for sale' thread.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts