2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic has become current in Finland. Recently, a gas company called ST1 started selling bio-ethanol that's made out of biodegradable waste, ie no sugar slave plantations in Brazil, just locally produced stuff.

However, ethanol is corrosive to aluminum and rubber seals, and Civic's fuel line is not suitable for ethanol. And it's not like I'm going to buy a new ethanol-compatible car in the near future.

Just wondering, is it possible, technically feasible and reasonably priced to modify existing cars like Civic to run on ethanol, or does the car need to be designed for ethanol use from scratch?

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Technically feasable yes, economically sound, don't think so as I think much of the internal works of the engine may need to be altered to cope as well.....

Tom

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
On a modern engine like the Civic's I think it is too much work to replace the parts you need to replace.

What is the ethanol pricing like in Finland?
Or are you just being green?

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
ive filled up with bio ethanol fuel in my type r before..use to get it every week for 3 months until i got boed of travelling down south to Dundalk (Ireland) the rating was 99.6 RON and i thought it made it nippier for performance but my mechanics told me super unleaded was just as good..just thought id tell you lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the ethanol pricing like in Finland?
Or are you just being green?
Mostly just being green. Ethanol is somewhat cheaper, but the car also guzzles more of it so I think the numbers pretty much even out. I drive so little per year anyway, that it won't have much of an impact on my budget either way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts