2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased an auto Honda Civic which is taking some getting used to. The only thing that is still really annoying me about it is the juddering and kangarooing in traffic and especially at roundabouts. Anyone have any experience of this and would appreciate if anyone has found a knack of driving a these slow speeds to prevent the juddering. Thanks

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I got rid of my iShift ASAP

Horrible thing.

You can only partially improve the box by using it in manual mode removing the Honda AI which sort of defeats the point of buying an auto.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
I have just purchased an auto Honda Civic which is taking some getting used to. The only thing that is still really annoying me about it is the juddering and kangarooing in traffic and especially at roundabouts. Anyone have any experience of this and would appreciate if anyone has found a knack of driving a these slow speeds to prevent the juddering. Thanks
The box needs realigning. Get a static and dynamic learning cycle done at al local honda dealer and that will fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
I got rid of my iShift ASAP

Horrible thing.

You can only partially improve the box by using it in manual mode removing the Honda AI which sort of defeats the point of buying an auto.
Things have changed quite a bit since you last had one. The latest box software as of 2015 is as smooth as butter, no jerks or anything. I only ever had the jerk when the clutch was out of alignment to the flywheel which caused the jerking as the biting point wasn't quite right.

Its a bit stupid of Honda to only be able to align this with the HDS system, as it should be self adjusting

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
During the two and and a half years I had mine it had 3 software updates, not one of them made a jot of difference.

Still cut power entering roundabouts and still had a large power cut gap changing from 1st to 2nd. Trying to reverse slowly into my garage was a nightmare.

However, some owners like them.

Me, I've now got a proper torque converter and my blood pressure is back to normal.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
During the two and and a half years I had mine it had 3 software updates, not one of them made a jot of difference.

Still cut power entering roundabouts and still had a large power cut gap changing from 1st to 2nd. Trying to reverse slowly into my garage was a nightmare.

However, some owners like them.

Me, I've now got a proper torque converter and my blood pressure is back to normal.
When the 1.4 iVtec came out there was an update around 2011 which addresses all of this.

I would like a torque converter but the issue I've had is finding one that isn't ridiculous amounts of money

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I will pop into Honda this weekend. It is a bit of a nightmare at the moment but if it can be sorted that would be great as I love everything else about the car

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you manage to resolve the issue with your car? I am having similar problem with mine and will be helpful to know, how you cure the problem.
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you manage to resolve the issue with your car? I am having similar problem with mine and will be helpful to know, how you cure the problem.
Thanks
I'm only a newbie & only had my car for less than a week, but initially I filled the tank with unleaded petrol & experienced some of that juddering to the point I thought the car had mechanical problems.

5 days later & One full tank of Shell V-power & the car is buttery smooth to drive at slow or fast speeds.

I wrongly, perhaps, assumed it ran on unleaded petrol, but on reading the manual, it stated the car was designed to run on super unleaded.

Some say the difference is marginal, but I always notice a significant improvement when using superior fuel (in diesels too).

My MPG also improved instantly... jumped from 30mpg around town to 40 mpg & up to 46.2 mpg on a 70 mile run on the M25 today.

Its worth a shot if you happen to be using regular unleaded as the super unleaded Ron 97-99 seems to actively clean fuel injectors etc causing your car to perform better.

It seems to have cured my juddering at low speeds.

Best of luck.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
The Civic range should run perfectly OK on 95 ron.

Could it be that yours has been standing around for a while or just done short runs and your first week of ownership with decent higher speed runs has cleaned it out ?

Some years ago, and posted here somewhere, I did a comparison test between Tesco 95 ron jollop and BP Ultimate 97 ron. I did 4 tankfulls on each so there was no hybrid of fuels, logged the brim to brim results. The mpg and general driving experience change was insignificant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i know i have been using unleaded petrol from Tesco, perhaps i will swap the fuel to Shell V Power and monitor if there is any improvement. The Kangarooness at the traffic is really annoying!! and the other day it feels the car going to stall.
Thanks all for your advise

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Civic range should run perfectly OK on 95 ron.

Could it be that yours has been standing around for a while or just done short runs and your first week of ownership with decent higher speed runs has cleaned it out ?

Some years ago, and posted here somewhere, I did a comparison test between Tesco 95 ron jollop and BP Ultimate 97 ron. I did 4 tankfulls on each so there was no hybrid of fuels, logged the brim to brim results. The mpg and general driving experience change was insignificant.
Thanks for your input Kremmen. I suppose it's only logical what you say & I'm inclined to accept your findings & experience over my limited experience.... only thing is, I experienced the difference around local roads immediately upon leaving the petrol station.
Maybe its a combination of the 2 & now its been cleared out, I might do just as well on regular 95 Ron. I will test on next full tank of regular unleaded but I'm currently having major issues with my gearbox slipping while shifting at above normal speeds.
I'm now wondering if my earlier juddering could have also been attributed to my gearbox issues. ��

1 - 12 of 12 Posts