2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a number of reasons, I've ended up driving round in a black brand new (500 miles old) CRV for the last week, so I thought I'd post up some thoughts :D

First up, the important bits - the toys! :D
CRV gets all the same toys as the Civ - S/N, HFT, power mirrors, cruise, mp3 , auto lights and wipers etc etc. It also gets the double sunroof. Standard EX doesn't get HIDs though, these are only available on the EX with the Advanced Safety Pack (more on that later). It does get a rear wiper though!

Power mirrors work the same as on the Civ, ie only with ignition on. But they fold in a LOT faster.

Sat Nav is identical, except that it is touch screen, not dial controlled. Screen seems a bit clearer (brighter?) though.
Reverse Cam is a LOT better! Brighter, sharper, and perhaps most important, it works within split seconds of turning the car on, rather than having to wait for 10seconds or so.

MP3 player also takes an SD card (but I didn't try that)

When on Audio (not s/n) you get a funky 'graphic equaliser style' background, or a random pulsey dotty thing, or blank.
Other option is to just display the clock (in 3 styles).
Didn't think to try my MP3 CD in it to see what it did with track listings :oops:

EX gets electric driver's seat (with lumber support) and both front seats get individual arm rests.

Electric windows don't squeak :D (though don't know if they would after 20K miles)

Advanced Safety Pack. For (a lot of) extra dosh, you can spec this, which gives you HIDs (that bend round corners) and anti collision system (big beep and warning if you get too close to the car infront at speed). The cruise control also automatically paces the car infront, slowing down if they do. You also get front (and rear) parking sensors - think they might be standard on all EX spec, maybe even ES.

Other bits
Rear seats aren't magic like in the Civ, but do all slide backwards and forwards a bit.
Boot doesn't have the hidden space, but is big, and you get a split level shelf.
Engine - is the same 2.2 diesel. The one I had didn't seem to have as much go as my Civ, but it only had 500 miles on the clock, so hardly run in!
Passenger door handle doesn't stick :D

Size. I was expecting this to be an issue, as my parking space at work is tight for the Civ. The CRV actually seemed to fit in more easily!

Overall 'feel'...
The Civ feels Star Trek :D
The CRV feels - well the best way I can put it is 'like an Audi' :D Everything just seems to be slightly more 'up market' on the CRV - not that that Civ is downmarket, but the CRV just gave the impression of 'plush' whereas the Civ is more 'edgy, exciting'
As you may tell, difficult to put into words LOL

To drive:
Definately more '4x4' feel than the Civ, didn't seem as planted or confidence inspiring round bends, but very very good for what it is :)

I'd happily tell people to try one out :D
Slightly different demographic I would guess than the Civ, but for anyone looking for something a little bit bigger then certainly worth a look :D

Was slightly sorry to see it go back, but glad I could get back in my Civ :D

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
So are you gettin 1 then?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a possible...

Kids are 2 years older / bigger than when we got the Civ, and its begining to be a squeeze to fit them all in at once :(

Current thinking is maybe a CRV come swap time in August, then maybe back to a Type S in 2 1/2 years when time to swap again and eldest daughter will have flown the nest LOL

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
Gordon Brown Will Tax If Off The Road In A Few Years. Wait Till The New Forecourt Tax Kicks In, This Will Hammer Most Cars. It Is A Very Nice Motor And I Would Have One In Black As That Suits It Well.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers Gray :)

fortunately, as SUVs go it's pretty good on CO2 - 173 (against 135 for the Civ)

and yes, Black is the colour :wink:

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
TT you know the Mrs will want you to get the CRV and it is a much better choice for you and your still sticking with Honda if you get that so happy days!

Lol! Jack had a NHB CRV for 10 months before he got the CTR and said never again but then you've got a NHB Civic and I bet you don't wanna shell out for a new touch up stick or 10 lol!....I actually saw a milano CRV this morning how weird did that look, so used to seeing them in black and grey

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL :D

Gotta be black to match the privacy rear windows :D

and I'll be able to fit my Type D stickers :D:D

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what you trying to say Ang? :shock: :lol:

no need to answer that one :wink:

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
Great Review TT. I really like the CRV and if money and everything works out well my wife told me I could have one for my 40th!!!! ( 5 years if you were wondering ).

Having said that I so love my Civ at the moment I can't really see me changing to anything but another civ!

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL - youngster! :D

Thank you :D

I really, really do love my Civ, and it's only the second company car that I would consider getting another one of (first one was the TT :D)

Unfortunately, a growing family (and dog LOL) means I need to go slightly bigger this time round (my first choice was a 2.2 S, but that would be even less practical with the kids :()
CRV was the first choice, although we did look at (lots of!) others.

Final shortlist was:
Mazda 5. Loads of practicality, funky sliding doors and VERY funky 7 seating set up. But definate MPV styling
Toyota Verso (the hot-ish one). LOADS of gizmos (even gets a forward facing camera to help get out of junctions!). Again 7 seats. Less MPV than the 5, but still an MPV
CRV. Ticks all the boxes. Only 5 seats, but this is not a HUGE issue - extra 2 would have been handy. Plus its a Honda, with a decent engine (*cough* Hello? Celtic? :D *cough*)

Think I'll be ordering this week :D

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
It's a possible...

Kids are 2 years older / bigger than when we got the Civ, and its begining to be a squeeze to fit them all in at once :(

Current thinking is maybe a CRV come swap time in August, then maybe back to a Type S in 2 1/2 years when time to swap again and eldest daughter will have flown the nest LOL
Did you think about the FRV... I found it nice and it is as exclusive as the Civic here in France. If I had children it would have been the car for me ;-)

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looked at it, but it failed on the (for me) vital point of lack of gadgets LOL :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Size. I was expecting this to be an issue, as my parking space at work is tight for the Civ. The CRV actually seemed to fit in more easily!

tried to park my 3 week old civ in a space i would just have flung my crv into , result scraped alloy and 3 inch scratch on bumper and lower moulding. (pillar in carpark). haven't been back there - i think it is the super light power steering.

why do bits fall off at 120 , never happened on 3 previous civs or crv.

now the scuba season is in full swing i'm missing crv but i can get 2 tanks
in the hidden box in boot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts