2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've decided I'm likely going to skip i-shift and go full auto.

However, I have some questions.

1. If the civics don't use a planetary gear set, what is the gearbox called?

2. Does the 8th/9th gen full auto use a lock-in cutch (to improve fuel efficiency)?

3. Does it have 5 gears?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't know when the switch was made but the current Civic has the CVT trasmission which is nothing like the conventional auto gear box.

A conventional automatic transmission uses a complex series of gears to send the engine's power to the wheels. But a CVT has no gears at all. Instead, it uses a pair of variable-width pulleys that are connected by a belt. One pulley connects to the engine, while the other sends power to the wheels

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 9th generation civic still used the 5-speed torque-converter transmission. I believe, from the way my auto transmission behaves, that it has a lock-up clutch operation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep , I can confirm the 2012-1025 FK Civics use a 5 speed Torque Converter ( old school ) gearbox . There decent gearboxes and not bad economy.

I get 52-58mpg on a run at 68-70mph in my Auto, and in town I get anything from 32-38mpg depending on traffic. ( In summer conditions , about to go to first winter with it ).
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had my Mk9 Civic for 7 years and the automatic gearbox is still perfect.

I understand that it is Honda's own design as they weren't allowed to use the Borg Warner type due to patents.

It uses a torque converter but apparently the gearbox is more like an automatically operated manual box.

It is a far superior box to the dreadful auto box on my works BMW.

The most noticeable thing when switching between cars is the amount of engine braking that the Civic has.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all, I have one of these gearboxes in a 2016 66-plate 1.8 i-vtec Tourer, and I've been wondering what the recommended fluid replacement interval is - the handbook doesn't say. Does anyone know please?

·
Super Moderator
4,141 Posts
The 8G 1.8 auto box was replace at 75k miles or 8 years then again every 50k or 4 years.
This is listed in the service book.
I'd be surprised if the 9G box was any different

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,065 Posts
The torque converter auto gearbox was designed especially for the Civic and first implemented in 2009. The iShift box was often complained about as being dangerous and unpredictable so Honda responded.

The Honda designed box was one of the best boxes I've used and the mpg loss compared to manual was almost negligible.

I could easily accelerate frkm a standstill and it was almost impossible to tell when the gears had changed. Almost a CVT single gear experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 8G 1.8 auto box was replace at 75k miles or 8 years then again every 50k or 4 years.
This is listed in the service book.
I'd be surprised if the 9G box was any different
Thanks.

My service book is mainly geared towards variable servicing, and does not list when things should be changed on a time/distance schedule. I am the second owner of the car and apparently when it was new it was put on the time/distance schedule rather than variable, so I can't access any service information in the car's menu. It's pretty unhelpful of the manual not to give this information, and it's particularly annoying now that I want to take the car out of Main Dealer Servicing and do most of it myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The torque converter auto gearbox was designed especially for the Civic and first implemented in 2009. The iShift box was often complained about as being dangerous and unpredictable so Honda responded.

The Honda designed box was one of the best boxes I've used and the mpg loss compared to manual was almost negligible.

I could easily accelerate frkm a standstill and it was almost impossible to tell when the gears had changed. Almost a CVT single gear experience.
It is a great box and I'm intending to keep the car long term, so I'm keen to get the servicing right. I've had torque converters fail on a couple of previous cars and I don't want to repeat the experience if it can be avoided!

·
Super Moderator
4,141 Posts
Thanks.

My service book is mainly geared towards variable servicing, and does not list when things should be changed on a time/distance schedule. I am the second owner of the car and apparently when it was new it was put on the time/distance schedule rather than variable, so I can't access any service information in the car's menu. It's pretty unhelpful of the manual not to give this information, and it's particularly annoying now that I want to take the car out of Main Dealer Servicing and do most of it myself.
so why not just call your local Honda dealer to get confirmation?

·
Super Moderator
4,141 Posts
typical
the 8G service book has sections for both the variable and 12500 service intervals, does this not apply to the 9G book or do you not have one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes I have one, it doesn't have any information about the time/distance service schedule, other than the times and distances at which to service it. It doesn't list what items are due at what distances/time intervals. And my dealer doesn't want to tell me unless I book a service with them. Hence my questions on here.

I think Honda intended the 9G to be on variable servicing, but for some reason my car was set up from new without it. Possibly becuase the first owner was very low mileage (5k miles a year, she was a Motability owner), and didn't like the idea of variable servicing. So I'm left on a time/distance regime without any source information for what needs doing when, and I'm working it out for myself as a result.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I did a gearbox oil change on our 8gen 5spd auto with around the 100k miles on the clock. No mention of any previous gearbox service in the records. Using the Honda auto box oil the job was a doddle. Just drained the oil from the 'box and refilled the same amount that was collected (no 'unusual' deposits or debris in that). Would imagine good for another 50k or more.

The gearbox I found pretty much faultless with instant 'kickdown' when needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
pages 42 & 43 of 9G service manual have the service schedule for 12,500 miles
I'm sorry, I know people are trying to help, but the schedule isn't the issue - it's the items which are required at each individual service which isn't stated in the manual. That's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. Pages 41, 42 and 43 tell me when to have the car serviced, they don't tell me which service items are required at each individual service. So, as I've said about 3 or 4 times now, the service book is no help in ascertaining when to change, for example, the automatic transmission fluid, according to the manufacturer's recommendation. Hence asking here, having failed to glean the info from my local dealer.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
for example, the automatic transmission fluid, according to the manufacturer's recommendation..
On page 43 it says "replace transmission fluid" AT then has boxes for 75K/8years then 50K/4 years

other fluids are listed, it's unclear what else you are expecting, this is same as the spreadsheet you are making

1 - 20 of 27 Posts