2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought February 07. i-shift is a disaster when in auto mode it either burns rubber when power is needed on take off - yes that can be controlled by gentle use of the right foot, or no power at all.

The most disturbing aspect is the total lack of response from either the engine and naturally the gearbox when say coming out of a roundabout or overtaking leading to near heart failure. It's going back to the agents for a computer software update - it's a new car !

Yes I use it in manual as well and quite enjoyable but my wife prefers auto mode, will have to update her life insurance.

If it's no better it will have to go. Pity I'm just getting used to it.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Gerald welcome! I've moved your post to where you may get more of a response.

There are others with i-shift problems too, and one owner who even got a replacement car (but it was a manual). The new software is meant to improve the situation, but this should have been on your (I presume) new car.

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Gerald welcome! I've moved your post to where you may get more of a response.

There are others with i-shift problems too, and one owner who even got a replacement car (but it was a manual). The new software is meant to improve the situation, but this should have been on your (I presume) new car.
Maybe not pottsy not if you picked the car up in february as the upgrade is fitted to cars from registered from 1st March 2007 only Gerald
I have to say that I am gobsmacked at the problems some people are having ( again it seems that there are a very small number of problem cars) which is no good to you Gerald.

On a personal note we have had and 07 Plate Civic SE I-shift for 5 weeks
now and love it ( yes the auto shifts could be slightly smoother - but that is our only gripe)

only advice I can give is to Ask you foreman to go out on a run with you - also if they have another ishift car around go out in that one with the foreman aswell to show him the difference and confirm the differnce for yourself!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll keep at it and hopefully the auto can be re-programmed. It's a question of 'faith' when you have been 'hung out' with no response it doesn't help. I can and do use manual but my wife says why should she ? Quite. Yes we have had ours for about the same length of time but the 'love' is yet to come. At least out local agent knows all about the problem and hasn't dismissed it as is usually the case in the motor trade.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I'll keep at it and hopefully the auto can be re-programmed. It's a question of 'faith' when you have been 'hung out' with no response it doesn't help. I can and do use manual but my wife says why should she ? Quite. Yes we have had ours for about the same length of time but the 'love' is yet to come. At least out local agent knows all about the problem and hasn't dismissed it as is usually the case in the motor trade.
Hi Gerald

I am still patiently waiting for my delivery date for my on order 1.8 ES i-drive hopefully sometime in May but I can tell you that my dealer bless em has let me drive a couple of re mapped ( re programmed ) i- matics and they are much improved in that they are much smoother and they don`t have that worrying time lag. Hang on and I think you may be pleasantly suprised at the improvement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gerald again ! i-shift. I've driven auto's for about the last 25 years, the real auto's with a 'slush pump'. Some have tried their best to dispose of me - a Renault 25 which demolished a garage wall for instance. I'm a lazy driver but do like a bit of fun now and again. The i-shift has certainly given me that - so far. Yes it could be me but I blame the wife - naturally, as if the gearbox has to learn it has quite a problem on it's hands !

Seriously, I have to say that as she might read, I quite like the car and hope the i-shift problem - occasionally no power when needed, can be sorted. I do think that Honda could give a bit of a warning on this one but there again they tread a fine line in our litigious society.

I'm too old to worry overmuch and if we can't get on with it well it will have to go.

Gerald

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes I use it in manual as well and quite enjoyable but my wife prefers auto mode, will have to update her life insurance.
Sorry i can't be of any help with the I-Shift but your line made me chuckle.LOL.
I'll have to get my Mrs an I-Shift for her b-day only kiddin ;) ;) nudge nudge, say no more.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Gerald again ! i-shift. I've driven auto's for about the last 25 years, the real auto's with a 'slush pump'. Some have tried their best to dispose of me - a Renault 25 which demolished a garage wall for instance. I'm a lazy driver but do like a bit of fun now and again. The i-shift has certainly given me that - so far. Yes it could be me but I blame the wife - naturally, as if the gearbox has to learn it has quite a problem on it's hands !

Seriously, I have to say that as she might read, I quite like the car and hope the i-shift problem - occasionally no power when needed, can be sorted. I do think that Honda could give a bit of a warning on this one but there again they tread a fine line in our litigious society.

I'm too old to worry overmuch and if we can't get on with it well it will have to go.

Gerald
Hi Gerald
Well we have had auto of all types for years and our present is a Jazz cvt which is the best auto box I have ever driven,which I still say they should have used it on the Civic as they use it on the Civic Hybrid. Still Honda know best or do they

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Hi Gerald
Well we have had auto of all types for years and our present is a Jazz cvt which is the best auto box I have ever driven,which I still say they should have used it on the Civic as they use it on the Civic Hybrid. Still Honda know best or do they

The 1.8 i-vtec is a new engine (well it was when the civic was launched)
and so has never had a normal auto box mated to it - until now!!!!
Honda Japan have developed an auto box the the FR-V ( which uses the same 1.8 engine as in the civic - with a few tweaks here and there
could this mean the Civic will get a proper auto???? only time will tell.

Said it before and I'll say it again - so far no probs with the i-shift
yes you know it isn't as good as a normal auto but it's good enough
would be nice if Honda did build a proper auto box for it though
( Hallo - anyone high up in Honda reading this?????????????)

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
From experience I would suggest Honda invest in the ZF autobox as fitted to the Citroen C5 2.2 Diesel.

It's a quality gearbox maker that builds autoboxes for buses and trucks as well, and it can handle the torque of a 2.2 diesel with ease. It also has the 'tiptronic' feature.

This would mean in 3 years time I could be looking at the 2.2 diesel automatic.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
From experience I would suggest Honda invest in the ZF autobox as fitted to the Citroen C5 2.2 Diesel.

It's a quality gearbox maker that builds autoboxes for buses and trucks as well, and it can handle the torque of a 2.2 diesel with ease. It also has the 'tiptronic' feature.

This would mean in 3 years time I could be looking at the 2.2 diesel automatic.
I'll drink to the ZF option --- it would be a great asset. Hurry up Honda, please.

·
Registered
331 Posts
ref.the i shift again,I have told my dealer about this web site/i shift problems and of course my own dissatifaction- he said he would raise the question with techninal dept next time he is in contact-am still waiting!Surely they have 'a duty of care' policy and should really be putting the improvements in existing customers cars.Just a thought,but would anyone want to be taking their driving test in the i shift boxed car,I certainly would'nt!!
06 1.8es i shift vivid blue

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
ref.the i shift again,I have told my dealer about this web site/i shift problems and of course my own dissatifaction- he said he would raise the question with techninal dept next time he is in contact-am still waiting!Surely they have 'a duty of care' policy and should really be putting the improvements in existing customers cars.Just a thought,but would anyone want to be taking their driving test in the i shift boxed car,I certainly would'nt!!
06 1.8es i shift vivid blue

No they do not have to put the upgrade into 06 cars
The upgrade is a change for the March plate change 2007

as previously stated I have driven an 06 plate car with i-shift without any problems although feel that our 07 plate car's box is better

It does sound as if your car had developed a fault which can be shown to the dealer by driving another car with i-shift back to back with your own
if this does not work you need to speak to another dealership!!

The majority of i-shift owners are happy !!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello to everyone,

in order not to open a new thread I want to use this one to something regarding to i-shift gearboxes.
It is connected with the i-shift driving method. The question is when you stop i.e. at stoplight, in traffic jam (for a longer period than 10-20 sec) do you switch in Neutral? How should it be?
Currently every time when I stop for a longer time (let's take 20 sec.) or I should wait with turned on car (I don't mean for hours) I switch the gearbox to Neutral, but in the same time I wonder does this constant switching harm the gearbox?
Somewhere I have red that it is better to switch in N, because otherwise it is the same like you keep your car on semi clutch (I'm not sure is it the correct term), which we know is not good for the manual transmissions as it waste the clutch faster.
So, how you, i-shift owners, are operating with your gearboxes when the car is not in move for a while (not parked but ignited)?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have an ishift, if I knw the light is on red for 15-20 I keep it in gear. Anything longer than 30 sec it's on N.
I've herd on other cars with auto box it's recommended to keep in gear and foot on brake.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've herd on other cars with auto box it's recommended to keep in gear and foot on brake.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
What you have written is a 100% true for automatic gear boxes. Unfortunately, the i-shift has nothing in common with them.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts