2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forum and have just recently bought a 2008 civic 2.2 cdti ex model. The car functions well engine and transmission wise but the car pulls heavily to the right, it has 17" allows installed. If I let go of the steering wheel the car keeps going to the right and I constantly have to counter steer to the left.

I have had the wheel alignment checked (at kwik fit) maybe not the best place in hindsight and after it still pulls heavy to the right. I asked a family mechanic and he test drove it and said it might have had accidental damage and bent something in the chassis or sub-frame. I am hoping he is not correct as this I'm guessing is an expensive fix. I done a hpi check and checked the mot history and the car comes up clean. What else could be causing the car to pull heavily to the right.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tyres. Steering.
Rotating tyres could help to check it they've got something wrong with them.
Steering could be bad. It's electrical as far as I know and there may be some issue it it's box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will swap the tyres around see if that makes a difference.
In terms of the steering what could go wrong there, is it the power steering box? How does that cause the car to pull to the right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I mentioned the tyres first because they're the easiest and most likely cause. But it could be something else.
Tyres are the culprits for 90% of the steering pulls remaining after a decent alignment. Uneven wear, defects, blows, lasting suspension geometry errors making them unbalanced... all those things can cause pull and rotating them around could show you if that's the case, making a a full replacement the preferable remedy. Sometimes it doesn't get right until you change all four wheels...
But steering boxes have been known to fail for whatever reason. Mind you, this is a much less likely situation. There could be something wrong with the rods and gears in the box or simply you could be dealing with some bent suspension arm or deteriorated bushing.

Do tell us how your diagnosis went! :smile3:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I will first swap around the tyres see what effect that has and report back [smilie=gt-happyup.:

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
check your brakes arn't binding front and back
check track rod ends for free play
check wishbone bushes and bottom ball joints are in good order

any of these could cause the car to pull to one side

the tyres would have to be in a pretty poor state to cause a car to pull heavily to one side

1 - 7 of 7 Posts