2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, newbie here. and am wondering if somebody can help. I have seen references and mentions across the web that MK9 Type R spoiler can be installed on pre Facelift but with some effort. I am decent with the tools and am willing to try this. Can some body point me any instructions or anyone who has done this install. Not being lazy I have tried googling but havent found much accept that some people have dont it

thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the installation manual of the TypeR wing :)
Thanks alot mate. pre-facelift has a smaller spoiler. the bit where the Type R spoiler sits on the lower spoiler is actually part of the brake light on the pre-facelift.. Any idea if I need to chane the whole brake lights set as well? just wondern g if someone has open their car up and looked at this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after weeks or research I went ahead and took the plunge. I think its not an easy DIY but is doable. I bought a spoiler of the used market but as soon as it got delivered I knew I was in trouble. the mounting brackets that connect to the tail gate are missing on the spoiler.

I dont think I can buy them separate but if anyone know I can and from where, I would really appricate the help. thanks

IMG_2060.jpeg

Below image is from the install instructions. notice the bracket that missing on mine

Another one that you can just about see the bracket.

Any help would be really appreciated.. thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hmmm I can't help on where you get the parts seperately, buy if you can identify their unique product code - you may be able to request the part directly through Honda or a registered Honda parts retailer? If / when you are able to get into a Honda dealership which has a seperate 'parts' section, you can usually ask them to write down the part number if you ask nicely. As above user stated, you might want to query with the seller first though. I bought the whole tailgate / spolier together through Cox Honda (I have the Facelift model however) and everything but the bolts was included. It might be in your case that someone has taken this straight off their Type R model, and re-used the brackets for something else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tired contacting the seller to see if he still has them?
Hmmm I can't help on where you get the parts seperately, buy if you can identify their unique product code - you may be able to request the part directly through Honda or a registered Honda parts retailer? If / when you are able to get into a Honda dealership which has a seperate 'parts' section, you can usually ask them to write down the part number if you ask nicely. As above user stated, you might want to query with the seller first though. I bought the whole tailgate / spolier together through Cox Honda (I have the Facelift model however) and everything but the bolts was included. It might be in your case that someone has taken this straight off their Type R model, and re-used the brackets for something else.
Thanks Guys, I did have a query open with the seller and after some nudging, he did come through and sent the brackets.. Just incase someone else runs into this problem.. I tried honda dealer ship as well. The guys in the parts department was really help full but said he cant find any part info on it as these brackets generally come in the box. He has given me other part number in the past so I dont think he was hesitant to share one.. so my advise to anyone planning to do this is, if you are going for a used one like me.. make sure you have the brackets.. you can source the bolts but the brackets...

The installation on pre face lift is ticker.. @Lucas_Doel I think i have read your posts on your installation.. thanks for them as they did help alot in understanding what is generally needed..

I have had to swap the tail lights to the face lift. and have had to drill 6 holes in total.. Still sorting the final bits out. will try and post some pictures when done.. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I'm doing the same currently I've already facelift the rear lights and lower spoiler and brought a complete spoiler. Can you tell me how you lined up the new holes to be drilled for the outer most bracket please.

I can see some markings for holes on the outer edge of the tailgate but I believe they are a bit short.

Cheers mate looks good.
20200508_113112.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey, I'm doing the same currently I've already facelift the rear lights and lower spoiler and brought a complete spoiler. Can you tell me how you lined up the new holes to be drilled for the outer most bracket please.

I can see some markings for holes on the outer edge of the tailgate but I believe they are a bit short.

Cheers mate looks good. View attachment 313105
Hi mate, you are 50% there. Drilling for inner lights was more trickier for me spoiler was easier.. Just screw one bolt of the spoiler bracket on using the factory hole and then mark the other 2. I will try and do a detailed write up as soon as I get a chance but to get you started, hopefully the following will help

The left most bolt is the pre drilled factory hole. you need the following 2 bolts for it (1 on each side)

2 x BOLT, FLANGE, 6X16 (GUIDE) — 90139S2R000
IMG_2158.jpeg

when the bracket is sitting flush with the body, just mark the holes with a screw or a drill bit.

IMG_2159.jpeg

The one with the arrows are the ones I had to drill. top 2 for spoiler and bottom one for the light (which I believe you already have)

IMG_2179.jpeg

to secure the outer side of the bracket you need following 4 bolts (2 on each side)
4 x BOLT-WASHER, 6X14 (AVEC GUIDE) — 90122TV8E00

The marks hole marking on the boot do not line up with the bracket. atleat they didnt in my case. I have read on the forums here that for facelifts the factory marks line up.. dont think its the case with pre-facelift.

best of luck and let me know if you have any more questions.. do share pictures of you install when you are done.. its good to see I am not the only crazy one here doing this on a pre-face lift..

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really take my hat off to you here deltacossigma! No way would I have considered getting the spoiler if I'd had a pre-facelift model myself. I'm not great at this sort of stuff anyway, but having to go through all the additional work looks daunting. Yet you've just shown it's possible with the right planning, dedication and hard work. Good on you! Pictures of the finished job show a great end result - nice work! Having previously done this mod to my 9G Facelift model, I couldn't imagine going back to the standard look now. I immediately found the car a little more stable at higher speeds after adding the spoiler, but to this day I'm still not sure if that was placebo or not. Regardless, I think it's a great look on the 9G. Enjoy!! :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi mate, you are 50% there. Drilling for inner lights was more trickier for me spoiler was easier.. Just screw one bolt of the spoiler bracket on using the factory hole and then mark the other 2. I will try and do a detailed write up as soon as I get a chance but to get you started, hopefully the following will help

The left most bolt is the pre drilled factory hole. you need the following 2 bolts for it (1 on each side)

2 x BOLT, FLANGE, 6X16 (GUIDE) — 90139S2R000
View attachment 313106

when the bracket is sitting flush with the body, just mark the holes with a screw or a drill bit.

View attachment 313107

The one with the arrows are the ones I had to drill. top 2 for spoiler and bottom one for the light (which I believe you already have)

View attachment 313108

to secure the outer side of the bracket you need following 4 bolts (2 on each side)
4 x BOLT-WASHER, 6X14 (AVEC GUIDE) — 90122TV8E00

The marks hole marking on the boot do not line up with the bracket. atleat they didnt in my case. I have read on the forums here that for facelifts the factory marks line up.. dont think its the case with pre-facelift.

best of luck and let me know if you have any more questions.. do share pictures of you install when you are done.. its good to see I am not the only crazy one here doing this on a pre-face lift..
Thank you for this mate really appreciate your time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really take my hat off to you here deltacossigma! No way would I have considered getting the spoiler if I'd had a pre-facelift model myself. I'm not great at this sort of stuff anyway, but having to go through all the additional work looks daunting. Yet you've just shown it's possible with the right planning, dedication and hard work. Good on you! Pictures of the finished job show a great end result - nice work! Having previously done this mod to my 9G Facelift model, I couldn't imagine going back to the standard look now. I immediately found the car a little more stable at higher speeds after adding the spoiler, but to this day I'm still not sure if that was placebo or not. Regardless, I think it's a great look on the 9G. Enjoy!! :p
Thanks alot mate.. I definitly would/could not have done it without this forum. I agree. I really like the look as well.. need to concentrate on the front now.. not alot of options available there..

quick question.. do you know of any good resources for for wiring diagram schematics for 9G.?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Lucas_Doel I feel the tailgate is probably a bit too heavy for the tailgate struts, as it drops down once its halfway down, almost making it a bit unsafe.. you have to hold it and gently bring it down? Did you notice that with you install?

Did you looked into installing type r gas struts? from part numbers it seems the type r hav different struts with them using some kind of bracket.

I wonder if someone here with type-r would be kind enough to share some pictures of their tailgate struts.. it would be great to know if they can be retrofitted to non type r(s) specially pre-facelifts.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
if i were you i would get the wheel arches and mud flaps colour coded and get some maxton splitters, nice job fitting the spoiler (y)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if i were you i would get the wheel arches and mud flaps colour coded and get some maxton splitters, nice job fitting the spoiler (y)
Thanks and agreed.. already working on the wheel arches but have only managed to get one done so far... (sorry not the best angle) but feedback is welcome :).. going for gloss black rather then getting them color coded. I think they will complement the black in the spoiler and the wheels.. can you share a link for the maxton splitters you are thinking off?
IMG_2023.jpeg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here you go

i would have gone with red but its not my car, it will certainly look better than it did with gloss black arches, instead of that plastic they use that just goes grey and horrible
Thanks for the link and the feedback mate.. no rule against going with color coded when I get bored with gloss black. to be honest it was hard call to make. couldn't find any picture with my specific color so just went with my instinct..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts