2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
@Lucas_Doel I feel the tailgate is probably a bit too heavy for the tailgate struts, as it drops down once its halfway down, almost making it a bit unsafe.. you have to hold it and gently bring it down? Did you notice that with you install?

Did you looked into installing type r gas struts? from part numbers it seems the type r hav different struts with them using some kind of bracket.

I wonder if someone here with type-r would be kind enough to share some pictures of their tailgate struts.. it would be great to know if they can be retrofitted to non type r(s) specially pre-facelifts.
I have to admit the Type R tailgate on a standard 9G is very heavy compared to what was there at stock. Yes I absolutely do feel they can't fully take the weight of the Type R tailgate. When I open the boot it seems fine until the last bit where it struggles to fully extend. I usually give it a gentle push at that point to help. Coming back down though - oh lord if I'm not careful it slams and shakes the whole car - wing flexing about on impact! Not good...

I think it will probably be ok so long as I keep in mind the added weight is there and am careful in opening / closing the boot - but It makes me wonder whether I should be looking for stronger struts. Would be good to see if any Type R owners can post pics actually - nice idea

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I guess the only other way is to buy them and see of they fit. The whole set costs about £100 from honda. Lets hope someone can help cause I really dont wanna spend that sort of money without some research

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
And return them if they don't work under distance selling laws?
My local dealer told me I cant return any item valued less then £20. Even though they dont have any stock and have to order everything in, so its not like I can go in and see the part before buying.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Right I have managed to get a picture of a type-r gas strut, unfortunately the shade and reflection makes it a bit difficult to understand but it does show where the bracket goes on the side of the tail gate.

s-l1600-2.jpg

My initial thought are this is a no go for me as I wont be able to screw the side brackets onto anything on the pre facelift.

I am wondering though if the type r has different tailgate to rest of the civics or may be there is a difference between face lift vs pre face lift. @Lucas_Doel would you be comfortable sharing a picture of your setup mate? specially where the gas strut connects to the tailgate.

I will keep digging but I think I may have to go down the path of sourcing different gas struts which are stronger and can fit the same setup.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts