2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
if everyone had the same opinion this world would be a boring place (y)

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
i have a fake Mugen spoiler going on my car soon, that wont be everyones cup of tea

·
Registered
118 Posts
@Lucas_Doel I feel the tailgate is probably a bit too heavy for the tailgate struts, as it drops down once its halfway down, almost making it a bit unsafe.. you have to hold it and gently bring it down? Did you notice that with you install?

Did you looked into installing type r gas struts? from part numbers it seems the type r hav different struts with them using some kind of bracket.

I wonder if someone here with type-r would be kind enough to share some pictures of their tailgate struts.. it would be great to know if they can be retrofitted to non type r(s) specially pre-facelifts.
I have to admit the Type R tailgate on a standard 9G is very heavy compared to what was there at stock. Yes I absolutely do feel they can't fully take the weight of the Type R tailgate. When I open the boot it seems fine until the last bit where it struggles to fully extend. I usually give it a gentle push at that point to help. Coming back down though - oh lord if I'm not careful it slams and shakes the whole car - wing flexing about on impact! Not good...

I think it will probably be ok so long as I keep in mind the added weight is there and am careful in opening / closing the boot - but It makes me wonder whether I should be looking for stronger struts. Would be good to see if any Type R owners can post pics actually - nice idea

·
4,773 Posts
They won't help even if they could. They don't even assist us mods, and random pings like yours above are just totally ignored/.rejected/filtered out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I guess the only other way is to buy them and see of they fit. The whole set costs about £100 from honda. Lets hope someone can help cause I really dont wanna spend that sort of money without some research

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And return them if they don't work under distance selling laws?
My local dealer told me I cant return any item valued less then £20. Even though they dont have any stock and have to order everything in, so its not like I can go in and see the part before buying.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Right I have managed to get a picture of a type-r gas strut, unfortunately the shade and reflection makes it a bit difficult to understand but it does show where the bracket goes on the side of the tail gate.

s-l1600-2.jpg

My initial thought are this is a no go for me as I wont be able to screw the side brackets onto anything on the pre facelift.

I am wondering though if the type r has different tailgate to rest of the civics or may be there is a difference between face lift vs pre face lift. @Lucas_Doel would you be comfortable sharing a picture of your setup mate? specially where the gas strut connects to the tailgate.

I will keep digging but I think I may have to go down the path of sourcing different gas struts which are stronger and can fit the same setup.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Looks so much better with the new lights and wing, I have the preface as well and it's just to round on the back, I'm planning on attempting to put the facelift rear lights on, How was it? Just bolt-ons or was it hard?
its doable but takes time and patience, you have to drill a few holes as the mounting points for somethings are a bit different. Let me know if you do take the dive and get the parts, would be happy to guide you through. There are a few members who have done this now so its definitely doable 🙂

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hell
Hey, I'm doing the same currently I've already facelift the rear lights and lower spoiler and brought
Hey, I'm doing the same currently I've already facelift the rear lights and lower spoiler and brought a complete spoiler. Can you tell me how you lined up the new holes to be drilled for the outer most bracket please.

I can see some markings for holes on the outer edge of the tailgate but I believe they are a bit short.

Cheers mate looks good. View attachment 313105
Hello mate how did u fit the roof spoiler

·
Registered
25 Posts
Delta. Did you also fit the facelift headlights? Also post a few more pics with the black painted arches and mudflaps. Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks and agreed.. already working on the wheel arches but have only managed to get one done so far... (sorry not the best angle) but feedback is welcome :).. going for gloss black rather then getting them color coded. I think they will complement the black in the spoiler and the wheels.. can you share a link for the maxton splitters you are thinking off?
View attachment 313159
This looks very good. How'd you do that?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Delta. Did you also fit the facelift headlights? Also post a few more pics with the black painted arches and mudflaps. Thanks.
No, for the head lights you would need to swap the front bumper as well. I black wheel arche wasnt painted but vinyl wrapped. I never got the chance to actually do all them and then I found a good deal on red arches so I am swapping them to the color coded ones now..

21 - 40 of 51 Posts