2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1999 Honda Civic with cvt transmission 1600cc, vtec. Most of the time it works ok, but after it's warmed up properly it misbehaves. When I stop at a junction etc. and then try to pull away, the engine revs rise very slowly and it takes a good second or 2 before the car starts moving. It's almost as if it's trying to pull away in a very high gear. As a result I have narrowly avoided a few collisions as I try to pull away and other drivers expect me to move more quickly than I do. Once I do get moving, the car behaves perfectly, until I stop at the next junction etc. The transmission oil has been completely drained, flushed and replaced with new Honda CVT fluid, and the car is generally in good order. The problem seems to have got worse since I had a new timing belt fitted - although that may just be my imagination. Also fuel consumption is very high since the belt change. Many thanks for reading this, and for any help you can give.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I know little of your model but it sounds like the CVT is faulty and thus giving you the wrong ratio at low speeds. That would also explain the fuel consumption because obviously if you're in too low "a gear" you're having to compensate with a heavier foot.

I think CVT runs on a belt system so it could perhaps be the belts that need replacing - maybe they've stretched or something - like I say I know little of this model.

My advice is go to a Honda dealer and have it inspected but it sounds to me like potentially a very expensive repair unless it just needs new belts in which case it may be more reasonable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your clutch sounds like its on its way out. Have you had the fluid changed recently? If it looks green its probably needs it. Whats the bite point like?

Thanks for taking the time to help out Smiqzy, but my car is an automatic (CVT transmission), so no clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know little of your model but it sounds like the CVT is faulty and thus giving you the wrong ratio at low speeds. That would also explain the fuel consumption because obviously if you're in too low "a gear" you're having to compensate with a heavier foot.

I think CVT runs on a belt system so it could perhaps be the belts that need replacing - maybe they've stretched or something - like I say I know little of this model.

My advice is go to a Honda dealer and have it inspected but it sounds to me like potentially a very expensive repair unless it just needs new belts in which case it may be more reasonable.

Thanks for the suggestions Alsone. I'll take it to the local dealer and see what they've got to say about it. Having said that, it is quite an old car - but a good one - and I don't relish the idea of spending a lot of money on it. If the dealer starts talking money (and Honda dealers always talk big money), I might be inclined to scrap it. The rest of it is good nick and it might bring in a couple of quid as a donor vehicle. Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts