2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a MKIV Golf 115 tdi that I am selling.

I am looking at either a new MKV golf 2.0 tdi or a new civic 2.2ctdi.

not sure what one to chose from, think the golf looks a bit nicer from the outside but inside is very plain. Civic is nice from the front but the back is a bit strange i think.

any problems with the diesel civics ?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
The civic diesel is a lovely engine - do check out my "informed review" on the General forum (it's a sticky near the top).

I've driven all the cars in this class and that stuck out as being by far the nicest of them all. The golf seems overpriced for what is a very very dull car.

If dull is your thing, then fine, I am sure it's a reliable steady car.

The backend looks weird? Well it's certainly different! It's a taste thing really.

Make sure you take the diesel out for a test drive before you even consider buying a VW Golf.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
To be honest tdi_man, it's purely your choice. Both are great cars. The Golf TDi140 pulls really well, looks nice and has high residuals. The Civic diesel engine is recognised as one of the best around. Residuals on the Civic are also predicted as being high. If it's the GT TDi your looking at it has a host of toys on as well as part of the std spec, but the Civic edges it in terms of included toys

Drive both and make your own mind up. Good luck with whichever one you choose!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Definitely recommend the Diesel, I've had a go in the 1.4SE petrol (nice but a bit slow) and then the 2.2 Diesel Sport last week and it was great fun. I used to have a 225bhp Audi TT and the acceleration felt equally as good as that. I'm currently thinking whether to pay the premium to get the Diesel or not, but for me I would choose the Civic over any current hatchback at the moment, even the Audi A3. I'm off to look at ones next week as I'm after a used/demo one as I need a car asap!

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I had a 2 yr old MkV Golf GT TDi before getting the 2.2 cdti Civic, absolutely no comparison, Civic is a much quieter, smoother drive, the Golf is often rattly and the turbo kicks in far too hard, in the Civic the power is given far more smoothly. Perhaps the Golf edges the Civic when you get on the twistier roads and throw it about. As far as trim levels go, you would need to spend over £22k to get a Golf anywhere near the spec of the Ex Civic.

Test drive them both, see what you think, would be interested to get your opinion.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Buy a Golf 2.0 GT TDi - in fact it should be Silver, have 17inch wheels, winter pack and an arm rest fitted. It should have done around 25,000 miles, and should be less than 2 years old. It would be in excellent condition with full history.

If you were to by the Golf as above (i.e. mine) , then I could go and get the CIVIC. :D

In all seriousness, I think the 2 cars are the best choice in this size of car at the moment. I know the Golf seems more expensive, but the residuals are strong, hopefully the CIVIC will match this, time will tell.

For me personally I think the CIVIC interior and to some extent the exterior wins over the Golf. From driving, in my opinion and now having had extended drives in them both. I feel that the Golf is perhaps the quickest between point A and B. Just seems to be a little more settled over the rough road surface, which gives a touch more confidence.

Having said all that above - I will be getting a Diesel CIVIC EX soon. The extra goodies and styling, along with the VW badge not being all it is cracked up to, being the deciding factors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Buy a golf, ive had problems with my civic and no help from honda. ive now got rid of the civic. im not a happy honda customer!!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
jeannie said:
Buy a golf, ive had problems with my civic and no help from honda. ive now got rid of the civic. im not a happy honda customer!!
Have you called CS? They sorted mine out!

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Hi tdi man. I had a Golf 2.0 gttdi with dsg gearbox. The only negative with the Golf for us, was the lowered sports suspension. It was a bit too firm for us. If you go for the golf, you must try the DSG box. Its superb. We're quite happy with the Civic. Runs great, and style... speaks for itself.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Pottsy said:
Clutch technique - but would have to sit with J to be sure.
Oh….subtle, not saying people who have had this problem cant drive are you Pottys. I had (still have on ocasions) this very same problem.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
kevin_lufc said:
Pottsy said:
Oh….subtle, not saying people who have had this problem cant drive are you Pottys. I had (still have on ocasions) this very same problem.
It's a matter of technique - it could be that some driver behaviours make the ECU do the wrong thing. Not a personal thing, just an anolomy.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
basegreen said:
kevin_lufc said:
Pottsy said:
It's a matter of technique - it could be that some driver behaviours make the ECU do the wrong thing. Not a personal thing, just an anolomy.
An anomoly that effects more than one car...hmm. It could well be true, and I have adapted my driving style without actually being aware of it.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
kevin_lufc said:
basegreen said:
kevin_lufc said:
Pottsy said:
An anomoly that effects more than one car...hmm. It could well be true, and I have adapted my driving style without actually being aware of it.
No, a software anomoly in the ECU. It would be in all cars, but depends on driver behaviour.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the accelerator pedal on my civic would not respond to my foot. when i first apply pressure nothing would happen and then adding more pressure would cause it to jerk off.{flat spot} so if you can imagine tring to keep to a speed of 30, just resting your foot on the accelerator the car would keep jerking down the road. Honda says this is normal because of the 3 mode system. When you put your foot down the car becomes a 2.0 and when you are going slower it becomes a 1.5 but the car is a 1.8. hows that for technology! this is not a normal drive and i found it really frustrating so now im driving a car that pleases me. Mazda MX5.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Jeannie - I assumed that the problem was just in the gear change. Just touching the clutch pedal a fraction of a second early can confuse the ECU, but now I've read what you have written - it's quite clear that you had a fault, and it's amazing the dealer didn't want to do more to help.

Glad you got sorted with an MX5 - nice car.

Pottsy

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
jeannie said:
the accelerator pedal on my civic would not respond to my foot. when i first apply pressure nothing would happen and then adding more pressure would cause it to jerk off.{flat spot} so if you can imagine tring to keep to a speed of 30, just resting your foot on the accelerator the car would keep jerking down the road. Honda says this is normal because of the 3 mode system. When you put your foot down the car becomes a 2.0 and when you are going slower it becomes a 1.5 but the car is a 1.8. hows that for technology! this is not a normal drive and i found it really frustrating so now im driving a car that pleases me. Mazda MX5.
That's not normal AT ALL. No way. I've driven three 1.8s and NONE of them have this issue.

I assume you were in the correct gear? I have had a little bit of jerk in 1st gear, usually when on an incline I can sometimes find it hard to smoothly pull away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was even more annoyed when the young boy at the dealer{i wont call him a mechanic} said they have had a lot of women drivers in with the same problem. i almost slapped him. I think ive got a rough idea how a car should perform,i used to banger race some years age. his boss then corrected him and said they have had men in with this problem too. this proves to me that there is a problem with the new civic and they dont know what to do about it so they are fobbing people off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts