2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot find stop/start button anywhere and beginning to realise that maybe my recently purchased car doesn’t have one.

I presumed stop/start was always a feature on newish cars?

Was stop start only an optional extra on mk9’s?

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Not sure if push button start or automatic stop/start when you come to a stop?

IIRC, The 1.8 Auto doesn't have stop start for some reason - The 1.8 Manual does, but not the auto. You'd think it was easier to implement a stop start with an automatic transmission!

·
4,189 Posts
Why would you want a 'Start Engine' button if you have to put a key in anyway when it's a whole lot easier just to turn the key one step further in one completely 'joined up', smooth, simple action.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Originally Posted by M8TJT
Why would you want a 'Start Engine' button if you have to put a key in anyway when it's a whole lot easier just to turn the key one step further in one completely 'joined up', smooth, simple action.
agree, i'm a big fan of "simple"

don't get me started on those "keyless" systems.. grrrr..!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Keyless entry and start/stop button might seem like an "upgrade" feature. But it also opens up new vulnerabilities. For example, I'm sure everyone's familiar with the "relay" car theft which involves amplifying the signal from the key inside the house so that the car can be opened, started and driven away without the owner knowing...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-42132804/relay-crime-theft-caught-on-camera

I prefer the old fashioned key method. It also has vulnerabilities, but not as bad as keyless.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This only applies to keyless entry - that's where you dont need to push a button on the remote to unlock the car, it just detects the key when in close range.

I dont think this affects the Civic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for replies, I should have been more clear that this wasn't about the ignition but rather the engine cutting when stationary (traffic).

Just surprised my Civic doesn't do this after my past two cars did - not that I'd ever used it :wink3:

·
Registered
198 Posts
It should cut out or at least give you a reason why it didn't - can be due to low battery level or low engine temperature. You should see an icon in the iMid display.

I think some people had had issues in the past - could be one of these if it's not obvious.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I cannot find stop/start button anywhere and beginning to realise that maybe my recently purchased car doesn’t have one.

I presumed stop/start was always a feature on newish cars?

Was stop start only an optional extra on mk9’s?

I think if you have stop-start, then there should be a button (circular with an "A" in the middle of it) immediately below the climate control buttons.

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
Hello ...

The OP has said he has an auto 9G albeit he thought it was a CVT, which the 9G doesn't have.

= it won't have stop start.

Straight from the facelift brochure - no auto models have what Honda call "idle stop".

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,395 Posts
SR trim level didn't get a start/stop button.

Only EX-plus got this... or type R :)

My 2016 Mk9 SR manual has stop/start function. However it does not have a start button for the engine, this is via a good old fashioned key. My old Mk8 had that little red button to start engine after key inserted and ignition turned on with key used to turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I believe idle stop (engine stops automatically when you are sitting in the traffic) is standard on all MANUAL 9G Civic, across all engine options. So it is not available on automatics.

Keyless start (button to start the car instead of using the key) is only available on top of the range (EX, R, etc) cars, regardless of transmission types.

With the recent raise of keyless thefts, I am somehow pleased with the old fashion keys...

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
Is the 10G Keyless, may determine my next choice of car as it's something I wouldn't want due to how easy they are to steal. Saying that, I'll have the 9G for the next two year at least.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Is the 10G Keyless, may determine my next choice of car as it's something I wouldn't want due to how easy they are to steal. Saying that, I'll have the 9G for the next two year at least.
Article on bbc today on this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47023003

No way i want keyless on my next car, very happy my civic doesn't have this!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts