2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Git ;)
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we are thinking of replacing the wife's Civic, to a 2011 Diesel CRV EX. Is there anything we should be aware of? Issues, reliability etc?

Sent from my mobile device using fingers and thumbs!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes .... the DPF and the rising oil level issue because of fuel dillution during DPF regeneration :rolleyes:

·
Grumpy Old Git ;)
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would assume that it's not a CR-V issue, but an issue for all Honda vehicles with that engine configuration.

Any there any other notes of concern?

·
Registered
827 Posts
The previous Civic (that you currently own) didn't have a DPF in the UK ... so that was not an issue.

The rising oil issue has been addressed on the i-DTEC Accord (there was a recall last summer to update the ECU) but apparently not yet on the i-DTEC CR-V (I know a few owners in France who got the issue and are waiting for the software update).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Deathstar, we moved up from a Civic to Accord and recently the CRV. Although each has merits the CRV is probably the best of the bunch. And my wife absolutely loves driving it (not that she gets much of a chance :cool:).

The CRV is a fine car - not as nimble as the Civic but you wouldn't expect it to be but the ride is far superior. Steering is light but not excessively so and the EX has plenty of toys with a good Satnav, rear view cam and in-built parking sensors. All round visibility also very good with parking very easy which is partly helped by the fact that the CRV is not huge. Much to like!

·
Grumpy Old Git ;)
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply Chris, it will be the wife who will be the main driver. I would only drive it when we tow.

I think we have pretty much decided on getting one, just waiting for the right colour. As we have already decided that it will be the facelifted model with the I-DTEC engine. Also from the lack of replies detailing any issues I feel it will be the better car.

Cheers!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Deathstar, the one thing you need to be aware of is that the i-DTEC engine is not as frugal as the previous oil burner. I get, on average, 42.5mpg on an engine that's done about 3K - not bad but coming from the Civic it will be quite a difference.

The biggest advantages, by some distance, are the driving position (high) and the superior all round visibility.

The instruments are simple, clear and generally well positioned (some controls are partially obscured by the gear lever). If the photos of the interior of the 2012 versions are accurate it looks an absolute mess!

·
Registered
82 Posts
We swapped our Civic for a CRV 14 months ago and haven't looked back. Great decision. Hope it all goes well :)

·
Hairy Northerner
165 Posts
Good work!
(See my sig for my Honda journey!!)

CRV v.1 - decided it was too big as most journeys were just me going 8 miles to work
Civic v.1 - ran over a rock in the road, punctured the sump and cracked the block
Civic v.2 - decided it was too small as we now have 2 kids!
CRV v.2 - LOVING IT!

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm considering changing my 2.2ltr diesel Civic to a CRV, but I an concerned that the CRV may suffer the same clutch problems that the diesel Civc has?
Yes, it does :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.