2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda Civic Type S 2007 semi-automatic. Just wondering what the top speed is on this spec?

Also I keep hearing of people doing a VTEC. What is this and how do you know if you have done this?

· Aye Aye....
6,365 Posts
The top speed will be found in the tech spec in your owners manual mate!

Vtec is 'Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control' essentially it switches from low to high cams and alters the fuel/air intake of the engine when you reach a certain rpm (5400rpm on the Type R), I'm not sure if the CTS has vtec as such though? I thought that it had an Eco drive thing instead...?

· Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2,535 Posts
:facepalm:

VTEC is the engine, its just the Honda 'code' -pretty much like TDI etc. Hover over the word VTEC and it will tell you what it means. I imagine your engine is a VTEC, just not the most powerful one

· My sticker's crooked
439 Posts
What engine do you have?

· Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2,535 Posts
Here you go...

I presume you have either the 1.8 i-shift or 1.4 i-shift. Both are VTEC engines. Top speed for 1.8 is 127 mph and 1.4 110 mph

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I see, I thought it was the engine, but I read a few posts on the forums of people talking about doing a vtec and it consuming lots of petrol. I wish I paid more attention now as can't find the post.

· My sticker's crooked
439 Posts
Here you go...

I presume you have either the 1.8 i-shift or 1.4 i-shift. Both are VTEC engines. Top speed for 1.8 is 127 mph and 1.4 110 mph
It's a 2007 model so I doubt it will have the 1.4 i-VTEC engine.

· My sticker's crooked
439 Posts
Oh I see, I thought it was the engine, but I read a few posts on the forums of people talking about doing a vtec and it consuming lots of petrol. I wish I paid more attention now as can't find the post.
Well you shouldn't worry about that as you don't have that kind of VTEC, I believe yours is actually intended to increase economy instead of performance.

· Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2,535 Posts
'Doing a VTEC' I presume this comes from a Type R driver!

The VTEC kicks in at about 5800 revs (I think) and delivers lots of power... all the horses come at once!

So I presume they were revving the hell out of the engine (as in intended with the Type R :p) but obviously if you are hitting top revs in the car all the time you will absolutely drink petrol!

· Aye Aye....
6,365 Posts
'Doing a VTEC' I presume this comes from a Type R driver!

The VTEC kicks in at about 5800 revs (I think) and delivers lots of power... all the horses come at once!

So I presume they were revving the hell out of the engine (as in intended with the Type R :p) but obviously if you are hitting top revs in the car all the time you will absolutely drink petrol!
5400rpm if you read what I wrote.... (or indeed 5600rpm if it was one of our resident EP3 drivers)

· Premium Member
6,483 Posts
:facepalm:

VTEC is the engine, its just the Honda 'code' -pretty much like TDI etc. Hover over the word VTEC and it will tell you what it means. I imagine your engine is a VTEC, just not the most powerful one
VTEC isnt an engine, I could fit the TODA vtec killer kit to my FN2 and the vtec system would no longer be there. Vtec in the 1.8 describes how the valves are operated using different cam profiles on a single cam. What do you mean by powerful vtec? are you getting confused about its application in a K20 engine compared to its use in the 1.8?

In the 1.8 the SOHC focus' on good fuel consumption. Have a read here:

VTEC - Civinfo Wiki

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that makes sense! Thank you. Bit gutted that I don't have one though! When I read a post about people referring to it, I thought I might be able to have a bit of fun!

Think I might have to upgrade in a couple of years. Lol

· Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2,535 Posts
VTEC isnt an engine, I could fit the TODA vtec killer kit to my FN2 and the vtec system would no longer be there. Vtec in the 1.8 describes how the valves are operated using different cam profiles on a single cam. What do you mean by powerful vtec? are you getting confused about its application in a K20 engine compared to its use in the 1.8?

In the 1.8 the SOHC focus' on good fuel consumption. Have a read here:

VTEC - Civinfo Wiki
I've eluded to that (granted not very clear though) by saying its the Honda code and again with the 'I imagine your engine is a VTEC just not the powerful one'

· Premium Member
6,483 Posts
Now that makes sense! Thank you. Bit gutted that I don't have one though! When I read a post about people referring to it, I thought I might be able to have a bit of fun!

Think I might have to upgrade in a couple of years. Lol
You do have it, just its focus is different to its application in the K20 engine.

I had a 1.8 and it isnt slow by any means! Be proud of it, its a great engine

Reactions: Jan78
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.