2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've recently bought a 2016 model Civic Tourer 1.6 i-DTEC. Being the 2016 model, it's Euro 6.

I'm finding that on a motorway run where you sit just below 80 it's returning around 51mpg according to the fuel computer.

I used to drive a 2014 model and that consistently said it was returning around 58mpg driven in the same way. It doesn't appear to be doing regular regens etc so is there anything else that might be impacting the mpg?

Last week I serviced it, all with genuine filters (including the fuel - never again!) and oil. It also had a new lambda sensor just before I bought it - this is the one that sits just below the shield on the front of the engine and was Bosch rather than some cheapo eBay thing. It's had some Millers injector cleaner put through it and I've checked the tyre pressures.

I had a mapped Octavia VRS TDI CR mapped to 200bhp before this and on a long run it would crack 59mpg, so I'm bit miffed the Civic doesn't at least hit the same kind of figures given the 2014 did.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
51 vs 58?

unless you're running the cars on the same day, same road, same load, side by side, with 100% identical throttle inputs etc you're going to get differences. as above oil might make a difference, but also what type of fuel and rolling resistance of the tyre can also have an impact. drop your speed by 10mph and you'll see a big improvement in fuel economy with negligible impact on your journey times.

but also yes, likely that the euro 6 has a different map to euro 5/earlier cars. fwiw i found i could get better mpg after a remap - you won't get 200bhp like your octavia but something like the celtic map i have makes it a lot nicer to drive (noticeably more torque) and you can get improved mpg if you stay away from the go pedal.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie! and Moderator
2,558 Posts
Remember we are using winter Diesel at the moment where the MPG drops off significantly. During the summer months at 60 MPH I easily get 70 MPG+ but that drops off to almost 60 MPG once they start using winter Diesel at the pumps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have noticed if you use 0w20 engine oil mpg is much better. Around 70mpg. At the moment running on 0w30 and it’s returning 62 mpg.
with 5w30 is around 56mpg
All in average
So - dare I ask - why would you not run 0w20 in one (if it’s an approved grade) if it makes that much difference?

As per above, I used genuine Honda oil - will check the grade when I get home - when I changed it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
51 vs 58?

unless you're running the cars on the same day, same road, same load, side by side, with 100% identical throttle inputs etc you're going to get differences. as above oil might make a difference, but also what type of fuel and rolling resistance of the tyre can also have an impact. drop your speed by 10mph and you'll see a big improvement in fuel economy with negligible impact on your journey times.

but also yes, likely that the euro 6 has a different map to euro 5/earlier cars. fwiw i found i could get better mpg after a remap - you won't get 200bhp like your octavia but something like the celtic map i have makes it a lot nicer to drive (noticeably more torque) and you can get improved mpg if you stay away from the go pedal.
Yes… although gentle back road driving since has seen up to 65mpg. Seems to be motorway work where it’s falling short more than anywhere else.

I GPS’ed the speedo last night - it’s doing a real 75mph at an indicated 80 whereas the Octavia was out by 1mph at whatever speed you were doing… even eeek speeds(!)

So that’s another mild disappointment on the economy at speed scale but hey ho.

Tyres are different so yes that maybe another factor.

I did ponder getting it mapped but one of the reasons I got rid of the Octavia is because you invariably ended up nailing it everywhere - potentially not good for your licence and not as relaxing to drive - as it was in some ways a bit too responsive.

Do these end up the same and do you have to have the DPF gutted / removed if mapped or if you don’t, is that more likely to have issues further down the line?

I need to get this booked in for the map recall that ensures the DPF gets hotter - I would think that gets knocked out as well unless the current map used for remapping takes that into account.

And how do the clutches / DMF in these do when mapped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remember we are using winter Diesel at the moment where the MPG drops off significantly. During the summer months at 60 MPH I easily get 70 MPG+ but that drops off to almost 60 MPG once they start using winter Diesel at the pumps.
That would make sense.

Anyway, all minor gripes. Wanted a Tourer for ages and loving it now I’ve got it 😎

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Yes… although gentle back road driving since has seen up to 65mpg. Seems to be motorway work where it’s falling short more than anywhere else.

I GPS’ed the speedo last night - it’s doing a real 75mph at an indicated 80 whereas the Octavia was out by 1mph at whatever speed you were doing… even eeek speeds(!)

So that’s another mild disappointment on the economy at speed scale but hey ho.

Tyres are different so yes that maybe another factor.

I did ponder getting it mapped but one of the reasons I got rid of the Octavia is because you invariably ended up nailing it everywhere - potentially not good for your licence and not as relaxing to drive - as it was in some ways a bit too responsive.

Do these end up the same and do you have to have the DPF gutted / removed if mapped or if you don’t, is that more likely to have issues further down the line?

I need to get this booked in for the map recall that ensures the DPF gets hotter - I would think that gets knocked out as well unless the current map used for remapping takes that into account.

And how do the clutches / DMF in these do when mapped.
Had mine mapped for 30k miles or so now i think? no issues so far with the clutch - i'm pretty sure its the original and the car now has 140k miles overall so i'm pretty pleased with that (it'll prob fail on my drive home now i've said that lol). Mine's the celtic map btw.

DPF stays - its a mot fail if you remove and it doesn't seem to be an issue on the honda compared to other (vag?) marques. Personally i've never noticed a re-gen or had any issues at all with it, although 99% of my driving is longer trips/ fast a road/ m-way etc. rarely use it on short trips or in town - always borrow the wife's i3 for those sorts of journeys.

I had a stage 1 map on my octavia vrs (along with some other nice mods) and yes i drove the tits off that - never had a fwd car that could leave rubber on the road like that ha ha.. honda is much more subdued - its only a little 1.6 at the end of the day - yes its worth mapping, yes its noticible but its not a fire-breather. I think you'll be able to keep your enthusiasm in check. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts