2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
£250?!

For that price you can get a proper remap and have change.

The usual pros/cons have been discussed on many threads in the past, but the general consensus was they were a cheap alternative to a proper remap, but not as good. That one, however, is not cheap.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I had a DTUK green box on my Astra and was very happy with it. They seemed to work very well with that engine. When I got my Civic I did my research on their options for the 2.2 engine. I have found it very difficult to find any reviews at all.

On the Civic a remap seems to be the way to go. I haven't got mine done (yet) however remaps get very good reviews from a number of tuners on here. Especially (as JohnnyBoy says) when its at a lower cost than a tuning box too.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
250 is wayyy too much.

As the guys said, a remap is better if you are going to keep the car. For me, I have a kingquick box tuning box. Never heard of it before but saw someone selling it on here a long time ago and decided to give it a go.

The main reason for me is that I can take it out and sell it. Whereas with a remap you can reflash the ECU but can't sell it on.

With the kingquick box installed, the throttle is more responsive and the power seems to come quicker. I get about 5-8% more MPG than normal (About 80% motorway journey). The downside is the triangle exhaust trim is covered in black soot and also the usual clutch wearing problem which happens to everyone anyway.

I wouldn't pay 250 for a tuning box but it depends on what you want at the end. If I keep my car long term, I will go for the remap.

·
DervDemon
204 Posts
Proper re-map all the way!

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
i agree remap, for the same sort of cash you can have a modified version of your ecu's parameters rather than a box that plugs in altering the values.

Elite egr off delete map seems to be becoming more and more popular, and with Myself and F6had able to offer these maps its easily available.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussed a million times before on every car forum probably. They are not comparable to a remap. Period.

All they do (despite what their sellers may tell you) is plug into the fuel rail and increase fuel pressure. They make power but it's inefficient and unbalanced, and essentially force your engine to work hotter and harder than its designed to do.

Within a properly calibrated remap from a professional tuning company, just one of the many thousands of signals that are recalibrated, is fuel!

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
£250?!

For that price you can get a proper remap and have change.

The usual pros/cons have been discussed on many threads in the past, but the general consensus was they were a cheap alternative to a proper remap, but not as good. That one, however, is not cheap.
I thought this was about the same or less for a remap ? Oh well looks like a remap is the better option than... ;)

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
I thought this was about the same or less for a remap ? Oh well looks like a remap is the better option than... ;)
You'll get most remaps for £200-225 I reckon, and they are many times better value for money than a tuning box.

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
I'm just talking in general, a lot of maps seem to go for around that price. File only will be less, mobile service will be more :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.