2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Finally got a video of this engine whine that I have had for about 18 months now, I've had the following replaced:

Top and middle pulley (not tensioner)
Belt
PCV valve
Valve clearances

As you can hear faintly there is a whine type noise - similar to hairdryer from 1-4k revs, I have tried to maintain those revs mainly in 1st - 3rd gear as engine and road noise blanks it out after that. Noise is much more prominent in person.

Anyone help me?

Is it a big problem? been to Honda and tech said doesn't sound normal but can't figure it out

Civic type r fn2 whine - YouTube

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Hi mate
Have you tried taking the fan belt off & run the engine to see if the noise disappears ? That would eliminate water pump, alternator, pulleys,

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't and wouldn't know where to start, aint it risky taking that off and going for a spin...overheating and stuff?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Hi mate
You would only be starting it up & seeing if the noise disappears, I had a whining noise on my type r & it turned out to be fan belt adjuster, they took the belts off to find it

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its strange because the noise is only apparent when driving, u can still hear it at idle I think but not so prominent

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I would take it to another honda dealer & get a 2nd opinion, you may only hear that noise when driving bcoz engine is under load more, get a 2nd opinion mate

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
fan belt off & run the engine to see if the noise disappears ? That would eliminate water pump, alternator, pulleys,
I take it you mean auxiliary belt? Fan is electric.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
never seemed to have any battery issues, always starts first time, I did think alternator but is there anyway of checking it? expensive...other thing it maybe is the belt tensioner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine makes a whine noise when revving to about 2k when idle sometimes, haven't noticed it when driving though.

My old EP3 made a similar noise to yours though, it never caused any bother.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
It's hard to tell from the vid but it sound like a badly lubed gearbox to me. Maybe a noisy primary shaft bearing..? Have you swapped the oil recently?

Unless you have a habit of driving with your foot resting on the clutch pedal, in which case it could be the clutch release bearing.

It's quite noticeable at 2:07 in the vid.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Is it louder when its cold outside, I've always noticed that the CTR chain (cam) rattles when cold, its always done this from new. I'd get the pretensioners checked out, mind you this should be checked at each service by the dealer. Maybe it is normal charactistics of the engine?

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
if your talking about the sound that sounds like a faint vacuum, well i have that too with mine especially when revs are low and i'm pulling in a higher gear sounds like a sucking vacuum or an electrical motor type sound but...... i've always just thought thats just how these engines sound to be honest? does sound a bit like a supercharger i guess. I doub't its a problem

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
if your talking about the sound that sounds like a faint vacuum, well i have that too with mine especially when revs are low and i'm pulling in a higher gear sounds like a sucking vacuum or an electrical motor type sound but...... i've always just thought thats just how these engines sound to be honest? does sound a bit like a supercharger i guess. I doub't its a problem

Hi Ryan

Yes that's exactly what I mean, like a vacuum cleaner, hair dryer, spose its more noticeable towards end of the clip - sounds more prominent after 2.24 towards the end when I had to stop and pull out of junction etc, I'm pretty sure it didn't make that noise when I bought the car :(

Last service the chain and tensioners were checked and all OK

Not sure whether it's had any gear box oil change - it's just followed the schedule.

In terms of gearbox, I'm sure it makes that noise in idle....could it potentially be the belt tensioner?

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Does it still make the noise if you press the clutch pedal while stood?

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Hi Ryan

Yes that's exactly what I mean, like a vacuum cleaner, hair dryer, spose its more noticeable towards end of the clip - sounds more prominent after 2.24 towards the end when I had to stop and pull out of junction etc, I'm pretty sure it didn't make that noise when I bought the car :(

Last service the chain and tensioners were checked and all OK

Not sure whether it's had any gear box oil change - it's just followed the schedule.

In terms of gearbox, I'm sure it makes that noise in idle....could it potentially be the belt tensioner?
hmmm i havn't had my car from new but i bought it at 43,000 miles and it's had full honda service history was even an ex demo car for honda most of it's life but it's always had that sound since the day i bought it, i never knew it was abnormal, i Just thought thats how the k20 sounds? cause i know theres a few cars out there that legitimately make this similar sound but on a louder scale like the cooper s for example, so it didn't worry me. I've never had a car as powerful as the type R till now, just had standard petrol engines which obviously didn't make any strange noises other than hearing the standard rev so I thought maybe that's just the Type R's mechanism.....theres no turbo, no supercharger, yet its capable of giving out 200bhp from 4 pots.....somethings got to sound charactertistically different to any old engine? hah. I don't know but I havn't noticed any issues because of it. Only problem i have with my car atm is I get a bit of a strange stench that comes from my vents inside the cabin if i turn the AC fan on. smells like dirty olives, don't know what it is but never goes away :/

1 - 20 of 68 Posts