2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning

I accept no responsibilities for these steps below, it worked for me, if it doesn't work for you don't come after me.

Here are some steps to replace the fuel filter on an 08 Civic Type R. These steps can also be used for replacing the fuel pump as the pump sits in the filter unit.

Before you begin, if possible do not start the car, or even turn the key as this will prime the fuel pump. If you leave it at least 24 hours before starting the job it will minimise the fuel spillage when removing the fuel lines.

It's unavoidable not to get fuel on your hands, and if your not careful your clothes as well.

So, do this in a well ventilated area away from flames. If you smoke be careful not to set fire to yourself when lighting up especially if you have fuel on your clothes.

Preparation

The fuel tank access cover is under the center console. To remove pop off the four plastic covers and remove the bolts. For some reason the bolts are imperial sizes (5/16).

When the four bolts are removed, lift up the front of the console carefully and disconnect the cigarette lighter.

Now you can lift the center console off and put in a safe place (your boot).

You will need the following part number 17048-SMG-E00

Remove Fuel Pump

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Step 8

Step 9

Step 10

Step 11

Step 12

Remove Fuel Pump From Old And Fit To New

Step 13

Step 14

Step 15

Step 16

Step 17

Step 18

Step 19

Step 20

Step 21

Step 22

Step 23

Step 24

Step 25

Step 26

Step 27

Step 28

Step 29

Step 30

Step 31

Step 32

Step 33

Step 34

Step 35

Step 36

Step 37

Step 38

Step 39

Step 40

Step 41

Step 42

Step 43

Step 44

Step 45

Step 46

Putting New Filter Back Into Tank

Step 47

Step 48

Step 49

Step 50

Step 51

Step 52

Step 53

Step 54

It is a good idea to test the pump works before putting the access panel back on, make sure the fuel line is securely fitted and turn the ignition on.

You will be able to hear the fuel pump kick in, start the engine. If it starts then you can goto the next step and put everything back together.

If not, then go over the steps again and make sure you haven't missed anything.

You may need to prime the pump a couple of times before starting, turn the ignition on, wait for the pump to prime and repeat again. You may be able to hear some air in the system, this is normal and a result of removing the fuel line allowing air to enter the system.

Step 55

Step 56

Step 57

Step 58

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the positive comments.

It's supposed to be changed at the 80,000km service here in Aus. That would make it 50,000 miles in the UK but the service intervals may be different. But I didn't do it until 94,000km.

This was mainly due to various failed attempts getting any information from Honda Aus / Uk for the procedure. Finally I bit the bullet and did the job as I couldn't wait any longer due to the engine hesitating on cold mornings.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Good write up :)

I know very little about fuel systems and I have to say I'm quite surprised at the exposed electrical connections in that thing... What stops it going bang???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,

It's actually harder to ignite fuel than you might think. There is an upper and lower limit of air/fuel mixture for ignition. Anything greater or less than this limit will not ignite. These limits vary depending on the combustible gas but petrol is fairly safe.

So it's due to the fuel / air ratio inside the tank which means that liquid fuel will never explode. The electrical connectors do create sparks but because there isn't enough air inside the tank it cannot explode.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Great job and write up mate.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
ohhh might excplain why it smells of petrol my car in mornings

·
Registered
36 Posts
Change fuel-filter

I know cars where you can do this job in about 5 minutes. This is so over the top. My Honda Legend V-6: on the bulk-head and one 10 mm bolt. Take off the fuel lines and change out the filter. Put new one on and start to check for leaks. Job done. But nice how to, very helpful, thanks.:D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Superb how to :D

Did you find you needed to clear any dust / debris once you removed the access panel before removing the filter assembly?

Also quick question, on the last few stages, why do you put the whole assembly into the tank before putting the large rubber seal around it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@jamie_c69

thanks,

When I removed the access panel, there was a film of dust on the surface on the pump but once I removed the fuel lines there was a little fuel spillage and that made the surface nice and damp so there was a little chance of crap falling into the tank.

It might be an idea to wipe down the entire surface with a damp cloth to minimise the chances of getting dust in there. But to be honest, I live in a dusty / sandy climate and it wasn't so bad, so I'd be surprised if it's any worse for you in the UK.

Re the seal : No particular order, I put the pump back in then realised I had forgotten the seal... the seal is easily workable and can be put on over the top.

@Coordinator
I know right, a simple job turned into a right mess. The bad news is all the modern cars are going this way as well.

@ rawwu
I later found out the mysterious silver thing is the regulator...

@cv65user
Is your life insurance paid ? smelling fuel usually isn't a good sign.

·
Registered
236 Posts
@jamie_c69

Re the seal : No particular order, I put the pump back in then realised I had forgotten the seal... the seal is easily workable and can be put on over the top.
Thanks, so i guess, might be easier to put the seal on first then drop the whole assembly into the tank

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Any pics of your filter, was it dirtty
I didn't get any piccys mate, it looked just the same as in Stiggy's photos though. And the fuel pot had quite a bit of crap in there too.

I also struggled to understand where the actual filter part was as you can't really see it. It's just a load of plastic and you swap the pump and fuel pot over etc... and that's it :confused:

I don't know if it's just me but the car seems to be idling a bit smoother now so it might have been quite clogged.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
1 - 20 of 76 Posts